TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Hey guys, I recently got the option for Blinn for mechanical engineering. I have Tech, OU, and SMU(if the financial aid works out) as my other options. Is Blinn worth it? Or are one of these other schools a better route to go?

@CollegeYaYa I’m not certain students can add majors/change their application, especially at this point. And Biology is super tough to get into. Hopefully she’ll get offered PSA, if not Nutrition.

1 Like

@jba003 all incoming Engineering majors are General Engineering.
Tech has a great engineering school, and if you’ve already been accepted into Mechanical there, I’d take a serious look at going west. MechE is tough to get at A&M, tho doable with stellar grades thru TEAB.

I recommend doing research into where each school’s Mech E grads get jobs. Will the placement offices share that info and how helpful are they?

@52AG82 @tristatecoog thank you both, I’ll look into both of those suggestions tomorrow. I might have to just sit down and compare all of the schools and take everything into consideration.

2 Likes

My daughter got CAP’d at UT, which she’s not really interested in, and I doubt she would want to do PSA either. She’s been waitlisted by TAMU and being considered for Blinn (which she would be happy with). She submitted her TAMU and UT apps in December and I think this really hurt her. We had no idea both schools do rolling admissions. We knew she should stood little chance of getting into UT, but we thought she stood a good chance of getting into TAMU. She attends a competitive school in Rhode Island, and I don’t think her guidance counselor is very familiar with how things work in Texas. They just went over the regular decision due dates, with no mention of the benefit of applying early or priority deadlines. To be fair, we can’t entirely blame the counselor - my daughter should have done more research about applying, instead of assuming TAMU and UT handled admissions like most private colleges. She was busy applying Early Action to private colleges and never realized how important it is to apply early to TAMU and UT. It’s a tough life lesson for her. As parents, we’ve learned a lot on what to do when it comes time for our younger kiddos to apply to colleges, so we don’t flub things up like we did this time.

1 Like

@nansterdam make sure you understand what University Studies is. I would dig around on the TAMU website to see if there’s any way to transfer into Education down the road.
https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/university-studies-degrees/

1 Like

@CollegeYaYa applying late and being out of state is a double whammy. I don’t know anything about Nutrition, but hopefully she’ll get offered TEAM! :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Hoping that everyone gets some great news tomorrow morning. Should be a big day

Why do u think tomorrow is going to be a big day?

Thanks! We’ve lived in Texas for 15 years, but we decided to send our daughter to an OOS boarding school for her last 2 years of high school. We liked the small class size and the strong college prep program. We had no idea that she would be considered an OOS applicant, but she was. From a Texas state college admission standpoint, it would have been better for her to finish school at her former TX public high school. Hopefully, she’ll thrive wherever she ends up (fingers crossed it’s TAMU!)

3 Likes

Being from Connecticut I would agree that our local high school councilors don’t keep up to speed with college admissions for schools that aren’t popular in NE. We have a daughter who was offered a PSA at TAMU and did take it. She is at TAMUCC as a freshman and is having a wonderful freshman and college experience. She will be moving onto CSAT for the rest of her college education. I would recommend that anyone offered a PSA to seriously consider it. Remember it’s not where you start but where you finish.

5 Likes

SMU is not known for being a strong engineering school and my Oklahoma friends say that OSU is better for Engineering and OU for medical. Tech has been a strong engineering school for years so I agree with @52AG82 as far as taking another look at Tech if these schools are your other options. Best wishes to you!

3 Likes

I’m sorry about the waitlist because you seem to have great stats! My son applied for bio and still no decision. When did your status change?

I know SMU’s program and you’d be surprised which other options prospects pass up for Lyle. If you check the placement of each you’ll get a sense for how responsive each placement office is.

https://www.smu.edu/Lyle/Centers-and-Institutes/Hart/Career-Development/Recruiting-at-Lyle

2 Likes

This morning got the 6 tabs and notification of Blinn Team!

4 Likes

We would like to talk to someone about TEAB (Engineering at Blinn) to get some questions about Blinn classes, AP credit, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions of who we might e-mail? I see from the TEAB site there is the Program Director at A&M as well as long list of academic advisors, but they appear to be more for current students.

This is my first time posting, but I follow this board religiously so wanted to share to maybe give others hope.

My son got 6 tabs this morning, major changed to Blinn Team. Very excited! Actually am in shock. AIS hasn’t updated yet except to major at top says Blinn Team.

To give others hope: Here are his stats:

Review Candidate
High School GPA: 4.7 (on 5 point scale, think it’s about 3.58 on 4.0 scale)
SAT: 1310 submitted
Major applied for: 1st choice: Mays Business School; 2nd choice: Economics
Great extracurriculars, volunteering, expanded resume and letters of recs, decent essay.

6 Likes

@LonghornAggieMom wow! That’s great!!
So what does that mean for his major, if admitted under Blinn TEAM, do you know?
Pay housing deposit ASAP if he plans to live on campus.

When did he do application?