TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

My son in law had ME from tech. Hired before he graduated. Has since changed jobs and making 6 figures. Graduated dec 2017.

I think if you work hard, do well, have work ethic and drive, then you’ll be fine wherever your degree is from.

3 Likes

I am in the same dilemma. My son got accepted into Texas A&M Engineering at Blinn. He wants to do Electrical and got it at UTD, UTA, and UTSA. UTSA offered him a Scholarship as well. I am worried about what if he doesn’t get his first choice of major (Electrical). Moreover, he has almost 60 credits from Community Colleges to apply to his Electrical Engineering degree at other universities. But Texas A&M is a great Brand to put on your resume.

3.75 is insane requirement especially when A(90-100) B(80-89) C(70-79 D(60-69) grading is sparsely distributed. Most universities have intermittent GPA points such as 80 = 3.0 and 85 = 3.3/3.5, etc.

Texas A&M has been my dream school. However, offers such as tech seem more enticing, especially since I’ll get the major I want for sure in addition to a substantial scholarship. At the end of the day, I have a goal that I’ve been striving to achieve for a long time, and it looks like one path is more certain to get me there with less academic and financial stress.

4 Likes

Yes, there is a huge difference between getting a grade of a 90 (4.0) vs an 89 (3.0) in a class. I’ve heard some teachers round up and others dont.

But keep in mind that although having a 3.75 guarantees a persons first choice major, it does not mean that students below a 3.75 can’t get into their first choice major.

I hear your concerns though, as we were also concerned. The best my son could do was play it super conservative freshman year. It wasn’t as hard as “I” worried it would be.

1 Like

Just got my financial aid letter, and I’m honestly underwhelmed. There was a lot of writing in the scholarship application and all I got were options for loans. I did apply for ROTC scholarships, but other schools have given me much higher scholarship awards

2 Likes

If you are from out of state or out of the country, please be mindful to what is going on here in Texas. Everything is closed due to massive power outages and bitter cold in Texas.

If you are inclined to pray, please do so. So many people need them right now.

8 Likes

Unfortunately that is the way it goes with TAMU and UT. Because they have so many applicants they do not have to entice students to attend. One of my sons chose UTA b/c the scholarship pretty much covers all his tuition, which is sweet!! My daughter was so much more impressed with the dept at TAMU that the enticement of scholarship money has not played a part. I know it is discouraging and I think it is very wise that you are looking at the financial output.

Woke up to 6 tabs this morning after applying for Blinn Engineering last Wednesday!

6 Likes

Hi there did you apply directly to Blinn?

What do you mean by applied? Can u separately apply to blinn or did they offer you to apply there?

1 Like

You can apply to blinn engineering at Brenham for the academy. But you cannot apply directly to TEAB at rellis. Hope that helps.

I was given options last week. I had to choose between Galveston, McAllen, and Blinn.

Can you please tell me the difference between those two?

So does A&M not offer your acceptance into the engineering academies? Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought there were three admissions levels for engineering offered by your A&M application. First would be directly accepted to A&M, second would be TEAB and if you didn’t qualify for either of those they would offer academies. So if you don’t get offered direct admittance or TEAB then you will be denied admissions and have to apply directly to an academy?

The only options that Tamu will give you are these:
Tamu Cstat
Galveston
McAllen
TEaB (blinn at rellis and also classes at Tamu)

There are other academies throughout Texas that go through the ETaM process and follows degree plan of all the options I listed above. But you have to apply directly to these programs. They are limited seating as well. I think blinn Brenham takes 100 students but I’m not sure that’s still the case.

Google engineering academies for Tamu.

1 Like

Same with my son between A&M and UTD CS which I heard is also very good (most everyone got job offers)

Going to be very hard decision for him. Take the sure thing or go to his favorite school. UTD is also almost free and he gets to stay home if he wants to. We live 2 miles from the campus.

1 Like

Texas Tech gave my D (36 ACT, top 1% class rank, but not NMF) 23K a year (14K from engineering, 9K from admission) both renewable. She will major in EE and graduate debt free. We could not afford TAMU or UT.

10 Likes

D will major in EE at TTU. It is a strong program and I know she will do well. We chased merit and TTU gave her the most $$$.

3 Likes

Found the different academies link.

I’m not sure why they don’t promote this more. It’s still a sure thing to Tamu.