TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

This is absolutely bonkers! It is finally application time. I went under another username for a while on this forum, Tunnelbear99, but I lost the info to that account. Anyways, here is my stats.

GPA UW:3.5
GPA W: 4.56/6
5 AP Credits: US History, Environmental Science, Physics 1, Human Geo, English Lang
ACT Composite: 34- 34 English, 31 Math, 36 Reading, 34 Science
SAT Composite: 1330- 670 Math, 660 EBRW

ECS: 4 years football, FFA Officer, NHS member
I have shown great interest in the university and have done camps and tours.

Applied to Geophysics as first choice and Physics as my number 2.

Thanks!

Is the 2nd essay just for engineering?

No, it’s for all applicants.

That is a very interesting prompt.

I’m assuming that they are attempting to address issues with diversity head on. And it is something that is very needed.

In 2016 there was a very public incident where a group of white students shouted racial slurs at a group of 60 high school students from a Dallas area charter school.

And then there was a drunken idiotic racist snapchat video in 2019.

There are more I won’t bother listing. The point is a few students do a huge amount of damage in terms of TAMUs reputation. And I am not saying that it is many students - I’m sure they are the exception and not the rule. TAMU does not have representative diversity (is more white than the college bound population of Texas). And they are trying their hardest to achieve diversity without using affirmative action.

When a group of TAMU students yells racist crap at the high performing minority students the university wants to attract, gains that it took years to achieve can be erased. In general, TAMU has a reputation among POC of not being that welcoming.

I get TAMU wanting to do what they can to attract people who aren’t going to be comfortable yelling racial slurs.

That seems to be the point of essay question.

From a Houston Chronicle article from July 10, 2020
"The flagship at College Station, a rural setting about 90 miles north of downtown Houston, has long struggled with a reputation of not always being a welcoming place for African American students. The campus, nicknamed “Aggieland,” is predominantly white, with Black students making up only 3 percent of the student body and on the decline. Surveys have ranked its student body as among the most conservative in the country.

Four years after students and alumni took to social media to publicize racist comments, such concerns are coming to the surface again. They were sparked by the killing of George Floyd, an African American man who died in the custody of Minneapolis police, and nationwide protests about police violence toward Black people.

Hundreds of A&M students and generations of alumni have shared their experiences on social media using hashtags such as #RacismAtTAMUFeelsLike and #hateisthehiddencorevalue."

I live in a Dallas area suburb. Our school district has an interesting makeup with 3 high schools having a much higher socioeconomic makeup and predominantly white student population, and the other two high schools having a majority minority makeup with one being Title 1. My kids go to the Title 1 high school and our student demographic is predominantly Hispanic, Black and Chin. It’s funny because my kids are 3 out of maybe 6-7 South Asian kids in the school. Even thought we could afford to buy a home in one of the more affluent neighborhoods and send our kids to the other schools were most of our cultural community members prefer, we chose to stay where we are.

Our high school has been at the blunt end of many racist incidents at the hands of the “richest” high school during sports…including signs that said “White Power” which was played off as “unintentional”’as the particular school’s colors were blue and white…it made the local news and was huge deal.

My family is of Indian/Pakistani descent and we are Muslim. No one had ever gone to TAMU, opting for UT or staying at UTD/UNT/UTA because of the diversity factor.

My nephew broke with tradition and did his undergrad at A&M and is now in the MS Finance program. He loves it there. College Station has become home…So much so that it’s his influence and recommendations that have caused my son to fall in love with A&M lol.

We are a little apprehensive about the culture there as my kids are used to being in a minority heavy environment, but after multiple visits, including my son spending time alone down there with hai cousin, we too have become verge fond of A&M and the Aggie way of life.

This year though, we have 6 families from our immediate circle of friends whose 2020 grads are all going to A&M after being shut out at UT. That does make me feel better that if S21 gets in, he’ll have a network in place and at least know a few that look like him lol and will have a support circle when it comes to holidays etc.

I don’t know which direction S21 is going to go with this Essay prompt. We’re supposed to have a little mom & son time to talk it out.

Do you have to complete the FAFSA before having a complete application at A&M?

No, FAFSA doesn’t open up until Oct 1 I believe, and during our zoom sessions with A&M admissions they said if applicants don’t have test scores because of Covid cancellations they have until Dec 1 to submit the scores and complete the application.

Guys- Its not an essay, its a brief 40 word statement.

Uhmmm guys I think I goofed. I checked over and it said 40 LINES and not 40 WORDS. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My application has already been submitted

My son and I are in the process of filling out application on Apply Texas.

He is a Top ten percent admit; it doesn’t ask for his class rank or anything on this application.

Are we overlooking something? We are afraid to hit submit without putting the most important information in here!!!

Thanks for your help!

It should be on your transcript and it also asks for it on the SRAR - not on the Apply Texas.

@MizLucyB I don’t see on Apply Texas where it asks for the transcript…will that just be something we upload directly on Howdy?

Also, what’s SRAR? ( I did this 2 years ago with my older son, but I don’t remember!)

SRAR is Self Reported Academic Record. It’s separate from the Apply Texas App. After you finish the application, you will get an email or prompt to continue on to the SRAR. YouTube has lots of helpful step by step videos that show how to fill it out. Just type “TAMU SRAR” in the search bar.

According the SRAR tutorial video: "Note: You MUST link your SRAR to your Texas A&M application by returning to AIS and clicking the SRAR link in the ‘Documents Required for Admission’ checklist. It may take 24-72 hours for Texas A&M to receive your SRAR once linked.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure completion of their admissions file by the posted deadlines"

Looks like you’ll do this once you get the AIS/NetID is activated.

Just go to TAMU admissions and what’s required for Freshman and the whole list is there - that’s where I found it.

thanks, y’all!! I appreciate it…I didn’t remember that we upload all the important docs in AIS!

Wow class of 2020 applying now (TAMU class of 2025!!!)! I just wanted to say that we know you all will have tons of questions, and we have amazing parents who have responded in years past. I wanted to put out there that we will field most questions; however, this year (and last) will be non-traditional in the sense that they took away academic admit (top 25% with minimum required test scores) and the tests are optional (due to COVID). Plus, they started the wait list last cycle after years of absence (I think last was 2010-2011?). There will be LOTS of unknown so all I can say is GOOD LUCK and may the odds be in your favor!! :slight_smile:

FYI I am the mom to two current Aggies - both are double majors in Biochemistry and Genetics. My daughter is a senior (admitted via transfer route - from community college on softball scholarship) and my son is a sophomore (admitted via PSA route)

1 Like

Wanted to edit my previous post by saying that last year was non-traditional due to the wait list being re-introduced and COVID “may” have had an impact on the admission review process (will never know for sure) - the academic admit was still in effect last cycle but eliminated starting this cycle.

Hey does anyone know how long the engineering short essay has to be

Can students submit a pdf of the Letters of Recommendations that people write for them? Or is there a link invitation to send the the writers? My son will be using ApplyTexas.

@chillycow If it hasn’t changed, I believe your son can add these letters via AIS under My Documents then Upload Document. Your son will have access to AIS after he gets his net id. Someone correct me if I am wrong.