TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@AtxAg95 it is a right of passage! Every kid needs to experience living in the dorm, sharing a bathroom, having 1 closet, eating in the cafeteria, etc. It’ll only make ‘em stronger!

1 Like

One tiny wee correction to your amazing post… Hullabaloo fills up in hours on the first day. UNLESS, they are going to spread it out better this year. But literally, hours. The first year we had this way of selection, it was full in 7 minutes. So Res Life said that year.

1 Like

@AggieMomhelp they have staggered it, the last 2 years. For sure by end of day 2/start of day 3, Hullabaloo was full. Who knows what they’ll do this year tho??

For what it’s worth, son did an A&M dorm tour last Thursday and the guide said Hullabaloo was likely already filled. He really liked Hullabaloo - and pretty much was not as thrilled about the Balcony and Commons. I don’t think he expected to like A&M as much as he did on the visit so a bit of a dilemma. (Still leaning SMU but A&M is now in serious consideration).

He still hasn’t completed the housing application at A&M (!!!) and we realize this will result in a less than ideal living situation. Son was accepted back in October (auto-admit) but thought he was getting into and going to UT and applied to housing there (but got Cap’d).

Is it worth getting him to apply at this point, or should we just wait until he’s made a decision if he’s going to A&M or not as the results will be the same?

No one has selected housing so kind of weird they would say that.

And eek, if he’s coming here as a single, he will have okay luck just finding a bed, but not if he has a roomie to bring in.

Not sure how big a difference it would make doing a deposit now vs later if he decides to come here.

We loved the SMU campus and feel. Just couldn’t handle the price tag. Lol

4 Likes

@mx510tx the guide is wrong…Housing selection times haven’t even been given out. There may be returning students who have selected to live in Hullabaloo next year, but that would be a small percentage.
Applying for Housing now will place your son on Overflow list-meaning he’ll most likely start out in a study lounge, but a room somewhere will be located (may take a couple weeks). Unless he finds a roommate, then the roomie pulls him up with the higher selection time.
The Housing deposit is $75 non-refundable. Even Overflow Housing won’t be a thing, the longer you wait.

1 Like

This would be the ideal scenario

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah … it seemed like a guess when the statement was made, and was pertty surprised to hear it … Thanks for the info re: overflow list.

1 Like

Thanks! (replied elsewhere but it did seem to come across as a guess vs. a fact when we heard it).

No roomie, nobody he knows well enough is going to A&M. And, yes, we’re not excited about the additional cost of SMU vs. A&M … some merit scholarships helped, but it’s almost exactly 2x in tuition / fees. SMU dorms are also much more expensive (and required for 2 years).

The two majors/programs that he is interested seem better fits for him A&M than at SMU, but A&M won’t allow a double major combo that he is interested in (only a major and somewhat similar minor) but SMU seems to allow more flexibility to pursue the dual program / double major.

Good luck all / i’m sure these decisions are tough for everyone. Appreciate the insights.

1 Like

@mx510tx sounds like your son has 2 great options! Good luck deciding.

1 Like

What 2 majors? I’ve never heard of Tamu denying this. Maybe we need a better person to talk to.

Oh and Tamu dorms way nicer than SMU dorms lol. At least the ones I saw.

Come to the dark side!!!

3 Likes

Thanks again for the reply!

He was told that the College of Architecture doesn’t allow double majors (interested in CS - engineering school and Viz - architecture school). I’m guessing this is the exception, as on tours most student guides talked about this as being a typical option for students to double major at A&M. I guess a major/minor option @ A&M isn’t a bad thing to look at (less stress).

He also found this:

https://registrar.tamu.edu/Graduation-Degree-Programs/Double-Degrees-Majors/Double-Major-Information

2 Likes

Are students required to get vaccinated for COVID and are all classes in person this fall (2021)?

No to the vaccine. And who knows how the classes will be. When my son registered for this spring, all of his classes were listed in person. By January, they all went to virtual except for one class with a discussion group in person for marketing.

I think the hope is in person. Especially since football will be at 100% capacity. Planned for that at least.

2 Likes

Everyone hopes classes will be in person but from what I’ve heard when speaking to professors and faculty is they are planning for more of the same stuff as this year (some in person only, some online only, and some hybrid). My best guess is that more of the pre req classes would be online and the upper level classes would have more in person options. This is only from what I’ve heard and not official… we should have a better idea next week once classes are released for viewing (but subject to change).

As for the vaccine, it’s not mandatory as of now but who knows. It could be mandatory one day. They blindsided us with mandatory testing this semester with only a few days notice.

We took the Engineering building tour last week and the guide said that they expected 75% of classes to be in person for the fall.

So on the PSA page, if we don’t see the major that my son initially chose, we should pass on it? Is that my understanding?

What’s the major?

NVM I saw he’s engineering. IF he still wants engineering, look at all the academies. That is his ticket into TAMU cstat after year one! He’ll go through the ETAM process like everyone else.

Do you have the details on these academies?

Go here and scroll down. It lists all the participating colleges. You’ll apply separately to them.

1 Like

Yeah, Civil and Aerospace (1st, 2nd). The PSA page is a little confusing because it says not to just pick a major to get into A&M but then it also says “The major choice at the system school does not matter. All that matters is that the system school will allow you to take the courses you need for your intended major at Texas A&M.” So as long as he picks something in the Engineering list (making sure that the classes transfer for his major, correctly) or pick one of the academies–he’s good? I haven’t had a chance to sit down and talk with him about his options yet but I’m trying to make sure I can lay it all out correctly.