TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@AggieMomhelp @Wendellnsherri

One more question I think I know the answer to:

Applying for housing Phase I and putting down the $75 is NOT binding, right? Because my son is under 18, I have to electronically sign a Proxy Contract that is very long and full of legalese and it’s scaring me a bit. If he decides against TAMU we are not bound to a housing contract, right?

Thank you!

@Rmj724 , so much of your question is personal decision and what works best for y’all. When my sophomore Aggie went through her NSC, we stayed in a hotel room together. However, she had already experienced staying in a dorm for another Aggie event the previous year so she didn’t feel like she was missing out on seeing what staying in a dorm felt like. As I recall, for NSC, the student has to bring all their sheets, towels, etc. and it just seemed like a hassle for us to gather up all that stuff to check out before the last day’s activities, etc. I didn’t want to stay in the dorm with her either bc well, NO COFFEE upon waking is a big, fat deal breaker for me. :slight_smile:

@itsmegina , the housing deposit is not binding. Consider it a Housing Donation fundraiser for TAMU if your son decides to go somewhere else!

My son and i stayed in the dorm a couple of years ago, mainly to see what the modular rooms were like. The dorms are very quiet and there is definitely not a “dorm atmosphere”. This worked great for us, but others liked staying in a nice hotel, which we will probably do if my other son is admitted! I do think its best to stay together, regardless of what option you choose. Congratulations!!

@itsmegina I believe that is correct. We paid the deposit last year for my daughter, but she ended choosing another college. We didn’t get back the $75 application fee, but the larger deposit was refunded. I think you have till May. After that, you a portion of the deposit back, but not all.

Definitely check the fine print and their website to double check. You can always reach out to someone at the school as well.

Is there anyone else that was accepted on September 22 that has NOT received their banner yet? I know some people started receiving theirs in the mail 2 weeks ago. Not sure if ours got lost in the mail or if it was just mailed later. I still have not told him that he was accepted and was hoping he would get the banner soon!

@tmclanton, I think it got lost. I would call on Monday and let them know. You have been waiting too long for that thing!

Has anyone got accepted into Mays that is not too 10%? My son’s friend is just outside of top 10% and is dragging his feet on applying because he doesn’t think he will get accepted.

S21 submitted his app today! So here goes:

When did you apply: 10/10/2020
Class Rank: 189/1080
GPA: 3.6 UW, 4.2 weighted
SAT (with Sub Scores) Test Optional, not submitting
ACT (with Sub Scores) N/A
When did you receive your admission decision:
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: 1st choice: Mays (Supply Chain Management), 2nd Choice: Economics (COLA)

Will graduate with 6 AP classes and 15 Dual Credit hours.

Volunteer hours: 100 hrs

Extra Curriculars: Marching Band 4 years, Interact Club, NHS

Leadership: Marching Band Section Leader (Low Brass)

Youth Action Council for our City (shadows and works along side City Council on youth related initiatives)

2020 Delegate to Boys State (in person session in Austin was canceled due to Covid, but he still committed to and participated in the weeklong virtual session)

Economics for Leaders summer program at Rice University

Served as Student Election Clerk during March Primaries and will do it again during Early Voting this month and on Election Day Nov 3.

Has held down a part time job at Whataburger since Jan 2019, still working.

His SAT score that came back on Friday was the weakest part of his application (he’s got test anxiety and doesn’t do well on standardized tests…scores don’t always match/reflect his grades).

The wait begins!

@tmclanton My daughter got into Mays last year Top 11%. I know 2 students from our high school this year who got into Mays who was also just outside top 10%. All had good test scores and well-rounded resumes. Almost every year, Mays gets “full” in October/November, as they only take 1,000 freshmen. His biggest obstacle might have been waiting too late. I would encourage him to apply asap if he is a strong candidate. He can always choose a 2nd choice major and get a minor in Business if he doesn’t get into Mays. A lot of business students choose ECON as an option. If he does well he can try to get into Mays as a change of major.

I was tagged a couple of times but it seems that others have done a great job in answering the questions!

@tmclanton - My daughter was accepted into Mays 9/29 and she is not top 10%.

@S18D20mom and @SandraL Thank you for letting me know! I spoke with him and he has already applied… hopefully he will hear soon! I know that he would love to go to TAMU!

@SandraL Congratulations to your daughter! Whoop! I am so excited for them!!!

Is it just me or does there seem to be no rhyme or reason to when TAMU looks at applications? I understand the Auto Admits come first - I was an Auto Admit but it seems like even if you apply very early when everything opens it all depends on what college you are applying to. We are looking to get into the BIMS program and yet I hear decisions won’t be made until Feb/March. My kid is in the top 15% (we don’t rank), all AP classes since Freshman year, Varsity Athletics, Varsity Fine Arts, Leadership positions, diversity, community service, etc. She is getting really disenchanted with TAMU and already has offers from two other equally comparable Universities. She had her heart set on TAMU and that is great but those other two universities are actively communicating with her, helping her, etc offered her scholarships etc. TAMU is crickets. Is this typical?

We did receive a generic email from the regional recruiter and we replied to say hello. This was our reply:

Thank you for your email and outreach. We are currently waiting on a response from TAMU to my application I submitted on August 5th. I hope to study at TAMU’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences as a BIMS Major. While we haven’t heard anything yet from TAMU on my application, we keep checking everyday. I had a chance to visit the campus on Aggieland Saturday just before the pandemic started and fell in love with the campus in College Station. I know TAMU is the place for me

This was the response from the regional recruiter:

Please understand that the Holistic Review Process takes time and you may not hear a decision until spring. We tell review applicants that they will have a decision by March for sure. Hopefully, you will hear something sooner but it is not guaranteed. For now you just need to be patient and let the reviewers do their job. Thanks and Gig ‘em!

There wasn’t anything wrong with the reply; it just seemed to lack warmth. Am I being overly sensitive? I get TAMU has lots of applicants but it would have been nice to have a little - so glad you liked the campus and yes, Aggieland is a wonderful place. Nothing…

@P2KMama i feel your frustration - right there with you! Guessing these recruiters are getting barraged daily with emails/calls and could be sending out similar responses to every request about about applications, etc. Honestly, Tamu doesn’t even need recruiters, they have more than enough willing applicants without encouraging others! Yes, it is going to be super hard to wait that long for an answer - what to do??

We’ve heard a couple of review admits get their BIMS acceptance (sept. 22nd I think). But yes, usually BIMS hears last. Very long wait typically for most review applicants but I feel this cycle is moving faster. Hope that trend continues because I know how hard the wait can be. Tell you students not to be disenchanted. It’s just the nature of the beast at TAMU. BUT that if they really like how another university is making them feel, then that could be a deciding factor. TAMU is big and can be very impersonal when it comes to staff to student. Sad, but true.

Is the engineering honors application open yet? The “Admission to Engineering Honors” website still says “Fall 2021- Application Coming Soon”. When do they usually open the application? I understand that the dead line to apply is May 1st, is the admission into engineering honors rolling also? Thanks!

When did I apply: August 1st
Class Rank: 11%
ACT: composite 28
Auto or Review: review
Major of Choice: Nueroscience

I am so nervous about getting in! It is my top school and I am checking my AIS portal everyday. Anyone know my chances of getting accepted? And when should I receive my decision.

@DTxAggie @Eggscapgoats Checking to see if you both see the 9/12 ACT score in AIS yet.

@LilyWu My son took the test 9/19, but no, its not there. did yours show up?

@Eggscapgoats Other schools received the score on 9/30 but TAMU is not showing in AIS yet.