TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

My son just finished his first college application… to TAMU!!!

When did you apply: 8/13/20
Class Rank:25/706
SAT (with Sub Scores)1480
ACT (with Sub Scores) 34
When did you receive your admission decision:
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Auto- Admit
Major/College of Choice: Business- really wants business honors.
13 AP classes (including senior year)

EC- Band- 4 years, Student Leadership Team, Vice- President, Jr Class Rep, President
Basketball- 4- years freshman and varsity
NHS
golden Ambassador
Black Belt Taekwondo- leadership
Green Cords- 100 hours volunteer in 1 year
Over 200 hours volunteer
Job- since 15 with average 20 hours/week

He really wants Mays Business Honors. If he gets in our not is up to them… but he did all he could do! Very proud of him.

Those are great stats! I believe I’ve read that the first 1000 admits selecting business get into Mays. How many get into business honors?

We spoke to the Honors Program rep yesterday and they say they are expecting about 1800 applications for around 85 positions… it is very competitive. I have seen on here that some people with perfect SAT scores and a lot of EC activities do not get accepted. He is “above the curve” of the statistics, but I don’t think that means anything!

How will holistic review and first 1000 applicants fit in? I was thinking they will start reviewing all applicants only after Nov 1st. Does admissions do holistic review as and when they get the applications?

Also, is it the same for Engineering or do they start reviewing only after November 1st?

I don’t know how Mays works, but with Engineering ( last year ) applications had to be review since the beginning because my son got into engineering 1 month after he applied. He applied in September, got in in October. We don’t know how they work on holistic reviews but last year they started almost from when applications started to pour in. You can check old posts from future 2024 grads. Applying for 2020 fall. Some kids ( small percentage ) got in to engineering in September- October- November. I don’t remember all dates, you can check old posts. BUT… what was last year doesn’t have to apply this year. You have to take it in to consideration. TAMU changed some things last year, surprising all of us. This year looks like even more changes are coming. Because of waivers of tests. Good luck !

@MomOfTeens77, Thanks!

This year is going to be different with COVID, loss of testing opportunity, and the lack of academic admits. But those scores are beneath most, probably 80-85% admits from the past two or three cycles. The middle 50% of scores last year was 26-31. So only 25% of admits have scores less than 26.

I would strongly suggest preparing your daughter for the possibility that she does not get the admission decision she desires. Maybe a backup school or see if she thinks PSA would be something that could work for her. It looks like Meteorology has been a participating major the past two years.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-psa/GEO-Meteorology2021.pdf

Disclaimer- I am on this journey for the first (and only) time, so I don’t know the exact answer, but I believe someone more knowledgable said that they usually do the automatic admits and admit around 750 through that and then hold around 250 spots at Mays for Holistic Review. (I could be completely wrong… but I think that is what someone on here said.)

Thanks. I totally agree with you. Her last ACT was December 2019. Had 2 others scheduled since Covid that got cancelled… I told her that her absolute best chance MIGHT be PSA or Blinn Team. But, I think even those are a long shot! She has already been accepted to Texas Tech so I believe she will be ok going there.

They do not or have not saved spots. First 1000 applied and accepted will get Mays. Sometimes a few holistically will get in but it’s based more on overfilling the 1000 since not all autoadmits accept admission to Tamu.

If get in under different major, they have a solid pathway to help achieve the goal of mays. Minimum 30 Tamu hours though. Check out the pathway. Other options close to Mays are ag business. Ag econ and Econ. There’s also university studies/business focus (and you pick 2 minors). Lots of pathways to get the same end result.

Good luck.

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for the correction. I must be thinking of something else! I appreciate the clarification.

Gotta apply early! A friend’s son was an academic admit last year but applied too late (October) and didn’t get into Mays. He may have been review admit due to score on one section of SAT but got a high 1300 SAT with top 25% at Plano. Now going to UTD due to lack of certainty about getting Mays.

This year will be unique for sure. You never know how admissions will shake out. But personally, I think TTU is a solid, exciting choice. (My MA is from there)

@psalms7510 my daughter chose not to accept PSA. She went straight Blinn and was accepted as a transfer to A&M her sophomore year. She was ready to be in Aggieland! Just be sure to meet with the counselor to ensure she has her prerequisites.

For those from a ranking school whose app is complete and in review, does AIS show the exact rank or does it show quarter? My son comes from a school that ranks yet AIS doesn’t give the actual rank, just “1st quarter”. Thank-you!

It does not show the exact rank. My son’s says “Top Ten Percent”.

@tmclanton That’s a good place to be!! Congratulations! Perhaps after “Class Rank” will be either Top Ten Percent, 1st quarter, 2nd Quarter and so on, instead of exact rank. Looking forward to your son hearing something in mid September!

My son submitted his application on Tuesday afternoon; it is now Saturday afternoon and still no Net ID or whatever to be able to work on the SRAR stuff. He has checked his spam folder and nothing there. Are they just getting busier as the month goes on perhaps? Has anyone else submitted since Tuesday and gotten their Net ID?

@ChillyCow Your son can start working on his SRAR without a netid. He makes an account with his email and his transcript. Sorry if I misunderstood

https://srar.selfreportedtranscript.com/Login.aspx

Yes, I bet they are getting busier!

@Eggscapgoats , thank you! thank you! This is perfect! He starts school tomorrow and was hoping to get all his legwork out of the way for his college apps by tonight. This will help a lot!