TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Looking for some info or advice about chances for a student in the second quarter. My daughter’s high school doesn’t rank but this was the assigned ranking from TAMU. My daughter submitted her application the first week in August and we are waiting as patiently as possible, but of course it’s hard because she has already been accepted to 3 other schools. TAMU is her first choice, but as a test optional student and a 3.14 GPA, does she even have a shot? She does have a ton of activities, including leadership, varsity sports, a job, and lots of volunteer work. She is also a Girl Scout Gold Award recipient.

Is there a quick way to submit your SAT scores? I know you can request CollegeBoard to send them. Can they be self reported? Here in CA, all the SAT test sittings were cancelled from Mar-Nov. Our high school got to offer a sitting on 10/27, scores wont be available to 11/19. How can I get them to A&M as quickly as possible?

@GLP2AAMom hang in there. We are in the same boat. However the kid isn’t applying to Engineering, but Animal Science.

At the advisement of a friend who works in Admissions, the daughter took the SAT this past weekend. He said and I quote, “their scores are being considered if we are at a point of tie breaking whether they get in or not. they aren’t used against them. Plus, their scores will go up and it shows us that they are trying hard to get in.”

My suggestion is that if you are a review admit and still haven’t heard anything, then have your kid take the December test.

The other thing that I find frustrating is how A&M goes radio silent after they receive the application versus tu (I mean Texas). tu has sent letters and emails to both my daughter and us to advise of where they are in the process, encouraging us to take tours, and reminding us about the FASFA and the like.

Hi there! Do you just have to keep checking their portal for the 6th tab or will they also receive an email?

@Ags222527 Congratulations !! Do you mind sharing your stats?

New question, but related to my previous questions…

When I asked about when/how rejections are sent out, I got responses that really focused on when Blinn Team and PSA notifications are made. I’ve even heard these programs being referred to as “soft rejections.”

I never thought of these programs in these terms, because when we attended a prospective student meeting we were told that there is no stigma attached. Which is accurate? I’m not sure how to frame any potential offer that is anything less than main campus. It will be difficult enough for her if she’s offered PSA and is unable to join the Corps (won’t be able to join her Grandfather’s old unit as a transfer, if we understand correctly), but adding on stigma (if there is any) of being “softly” rejected could be challenging, to say the least.

I’d really like some clarity on how offers other than main campus are viewed.

@95Aghopes425 PSA is a soft denial but they see something in the student and give them an opportunity to prove themselves at another system school. Check out the requirements. I know many students that take this route and end up staying where they started on their own because they really liked it. TAMU cstat isn’t for everyone and you don’t know what you don’t know.

As for Blinn Team or Engineering Academy at Blinn… this is by far one of my favorite admissions option. There is zero stigma. You take courses at Blinn and on TAMU campus. Noone knows or cares if your Team or full fledge student. You get all the same perks as a full time student. It’s such a great program.

I will also say that going straight Blinn (not TEAM if not offered), is a great way to get to Aggieland. My son has a pledge brother that is still at Blinn (he’s a junior lol). And noone is anything but supportive in trying to help him get to TAMU. So with all that being said, I hope that helps. It truly doesn’t matter where you start, but where you finish!

Check the tabs first thing in the morning. Howdy updates around 6 or 7am but AIS I believe can update throughout the day for change of majors as well as admission status.

As soon as they’re available, they’ll be sent electronically to TAMU. No worries. There’s plenty of time and they are only going to use them if they help, not hurt. I don’t think there is any way to speed up the process. I could be uniformed though.

If Mays is listed as first choice and Economics second and the student does not get into Mays, will the majors change in AIS? My son is under review and looking for any sign of progression.

Thank you! He has 6 tabs as of today. I guess that is good news!! Hoping official acceptance will be updated on the portal soon!

We are about to enter phase 2 of the housing contract. My sons first choice in dorms is hullabullo which i know fills quickly. He was told by a current Aggie that the modular dorms are descent size. I noticed that all of the modular dorms are linked to a LLC. If he does not want to be in an LLC community, are these dorms not the best choice? And if so, what dorm style have your kids liked?

@2021seniormom What major is your daughter applying to? Does she have any honors or AP courses? What state are you applying from? I think your daughter still has a good chance, but the decision is likely to take a bit longer as she has to be seen holistically for admission. I think all her extracurriculars, employment, and community service would give her a really good chance for admission, but it might be more challenging if she is applying for a very competitive major. Did she submit any letters of rec? I know they are optional, but I’m sure that having a really positive letter of rec that speaks to her leadership abilities and hard work in the classroom would help. Universities look to balance an incoming class with students that add diversity, perhaps geographically, or gender-wise like in balancing the male-female ratio somewhat in Engineering. Don’t give up hope! Would she consider a guaranteed path to TAMU admission like participating in Blinn or PSA if that is what is ultimately offered?

Thank you @kethra. We are from CA… My daughter has only took 2 AP classes and is majoring in sport management. She submitted two very strong letters of recommendation. When she applied, we didn’t really understand the Blinn program and she marked that she wasn’t interested on the application. Will it still potentially be offered or should she reach out the admissions to say she would like to be considered for that? TAMU is her first choice so I think she would prefer Blinn over another university.

@2021seniormom I would reach out to Betsi Hardi, she is the Regional Advisor for TAMU for CA, with your question. She is actually the advisor for the West as well, so we have been in contact with her a few times and she is extraordinarily helpful and gets back to you within a day. https://admissions.tamu.edu/advisors/california

I meant to say that her choice of major and also being out of state would probably be positives in getting her admitted, as she would add geographic diversity. Also, her playing varsity sports would be highly beneficial for a sports management major!

@2021seniormom I just looked up the Girl Scout Gold Award, since that is the equivalent of the Boy Scouts Eagle Scout, I would say that she has shown incredible dedication and leadership, TAMU would be lucky to have her!

@coltcali We have visited and taken a tour of the dorms. My daughter really liked Hullabaloo and Clements (modular) but has been discouraged to live on the North side b/c it’s supposed to be louder, near bar etc and that’s not the environment she wants even though it would be closer to her physics classes. We have been told from other Aggies that the Modulars are the largest so she is most likely planning to list the modulars on the Southside as her preference. I would love feedback from those who have students there already!

@coltcali @Physixmom on the Aggie Parents FB page, there is lots of info on dorms.

@txmomuv2 Th
ank you. I will check out the Aggie parent FB page

Yea, in Ais if it switches to Econ as first and second major then it’s a pretty good sign he’s about to be notified. Usually the tabs show up with that but it could be the next day.

If it stays the same, then he’s still be reviewed.