TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Deleted Comment

@Physixmom DS is in Hobby (North Modular) for the second year and doesn’t hear bar/etc noise from the Northgate area in his room and actually spends alot of time in his room, even before Covid. He likes some of the eating places in the Northgate area, esp Dominos and Freebirds, and spends time in Hullabaloo playing ping pong, etc

He was also determined to get a modular when it was time to pick for freshman year and it was hard to decide between north or south side.

Regarding the modular dorms…rooms can be different sizes. In Hobby, odd numbered rooms are 3’ ft longer (12’ x 19’ odd vs 12’ x 16’ even). You can look at the room info for each dorm to get details. Yes, those are big rooms with a non-shared bathroom!

@coltcali LLCs don’t necessarily take up every room in a dorm. For example in Hobby, there is the Terry Scholar LLC, but they only take up some of the rooms on the first floor. The University Honors dorms though, are mostly UH. Sorry, not sure where you can see what portion of a dorm is taken up by its LLC cause I wondered about that too a couple years ago

@Eggscapgoats Appreciate your help and info.

@Popyhead Thanks! And sure I will share stats

GPA: 3.95
SAT 1330 (670 math, 660 reading)
ACT: never got to take!
Review Admit
Non ranking school - it showed in top 1/4 (we knew he was in top 12% but TAMU never got to see it as far as I know)
3 AP classes and several dual credit classes (something like 27 hours)where AP was not available to him
Applied mid August; accepted November 12th into Engineering and Texas A&M CS

Some of his extras: 4 year athlete in football, basketball, track and baseball;
NHS, FCA leader; class officer; UIL Academic competitor in Science, Mathematics; Headline writing; News writing; and he volunteered through many of the same programs.

He is very excited, I am very relieved (and excited!)

@Ags222527 I am so glad that he got in! I know that you were getting a little discouraged as time went on. He has amazing stats! Congrats to him!

I appreciate the advice, thanks so much for your help @kethra!

If review admit, am I suppose to submit my AP scores from college board? Or is that only needed after acceptance? I noticed common app and coalition have a section to self report scores but not apply Texas (but maybe I overlooked it)

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

@TayRod03 your AP scores are only needed when you are admitted. I noticed that too for our son’s application that there was no place to report AP scores. In hindsight, I guess he could have included them on a resume. I don’t think the scores are that important for admission, they are really to help you get college credit to be able to skip out of taking some of the general education requirements.

@TayRod03 When my son completed his SRAR, there was a place to self report SAt/ACT/AP scores. Sounds like you have already submitted SRAR, but if you have impressive scores (4s and 5s), sending them to admissions can only help your application.

@Eggscapgoats yes, I realized that after I submitted my SRAR so I sent them a message stating I failed to submit on my SRAR and gave them my scores to update my file.

However their response was

“All test scores must be received by the testing agency to be considered official.”

So should I send or not send? Confused because SRAR is self reported and not official?

Thanks ?

Congrats to all of you who got your acceptance this week! Looks like the engineering department has been busy. My daughter is interested in nursing, so applied under the college of science with a university studies major, and the second option of kinesiology. Are the timeframes for response different for different majors? Trying not to get discouraged with our measly 3 tabs, but the struggle is real!!

“testing agency” refers to college board, so, if your scores are good and you don’t mind paying the college board, request they officially be sent. Yes, SRAR is not official but it would have been a way for admissions to see your scores. Another way is by resume, as mentioned, or under the awards section of your app, if you were an AP scholar, for example. I hope I am not wrong in thinking admissions will look at AP scores sent, but I could be. Hope this helps

@Eggscapgoats thanks for your help!!! Makes sense!!!

My son applied early September, and he’s got a pretty decent GPA and SAT score, but he’s in a pretty competitive school area He’s applied to Environmental Engineering, and he’s still “In Review” with 3 tabs on the Howdy page.

When did you apply: 9/6/2020
Class Rank: 536/1701 (31%)
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1410 (720 Math/690 R/W)
ACT (with Sub Scores): Composite 30 (didn’t submit to Texas A&M)
When did you receive your admission decision: Not yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Environmental Engineering
SRAR GPA: 3.87 Weighted

Anyone have thoughts that might help his chances? We didn’t submit the ACT because it’s comparable because it’s about the same as the SAT. He also took the SAT in October after applying and got a 1400 (740 Math/660 R/W), but we didn’t think we should submit it because Texas A&M uses a single day’s score only.

He has a letter of recommendation on file from his Junior math teacher, he’s enrolled in 5 AP course this year and has taken 3 in previous years.

Two years in band, active in scouts (still working on Eagle), robotics, some community service hours.

He submitted all the Essays and described how his ADHD affected his Freshman year, but he has learned to manage it in high school and his grades have been improving ever since. He even mentioned without COVID, which caused his high school to not count the 2nd semester of his junior year, he would have likely been in the top 25% given his grades.

Anything else he might do or it’s just a waiting game? He’s pretty much resigned himself that he won’t get in.

My son applied early October and just got accepted this week - he is SUPER excited A&M was in his top 4 choices…he is now confused about what dorm to put in for - he is not into partying but wants to be around a mix of quiet/active and isn’t interested in a large community bathroom (would like a set up where he shared a bathroom with 2-4 others)…so following everyone’s posts :slight_smile:

GPA: 4.0
ACT: 35
is a homeschooler/Florida Virtual School - 2 AP classes and 4 dual credit classes -most classes were all honors
Applied early Oct; accepted week of Nov 9 into Meteorology/Atmospheric Sciences

Some of his extras: Scout about to complete Eagle Project, Leo Club, FIRST Robotics, extensive volunteering for 6+ years, CyberPatriot

@mgm1001001 I feel your frustration! Just know that in years past, there was lots of admittances sent out Jan-Mar. Even admissions says that the majority of admittances are given out after the Dec application deadline.

It is truly a competition - these review apps are competing against one another for a spot and spots are limited. Your sons rigor of classes and test score is definitely a plus. Yes, it is true that only the best test score is used to “grade” an application, but rumor has it that having multiple test scores sent shows that the student is really trying to increase their score and that they are determined.

Hope he gets some good news soon!

@mgm1001001 He can submit another LOR - preferably from a non-teacher since his first was from a teacher. 2 LORs are allowed and every little bit helps

I know this comment is not about admissions or decisions, but still wanted to share it. My daughter is participating in the two day Aggie SEAL program. I think it stands for Seniors Experience Aggie Life, totally managed by current Aggies. I have to say I am so impressed by how organized and professional these kids are. They are helping all the current high school seniors understand what it means to be an Aggie. My daughter is totally into it and is having so much fun.

My son’s best friend got his acceptance to A&M last week…banner arrived yesterday…they are hoping to room together and my son is staring to get anxious now lol…he’s been accepted to all 4 of his safety schools, just waiting on TAMU now.

My son was accepted this week. It’s his first acceptance and he was very happy and relieved. We visited TAMU Monday and had a great lunch with two National Scholar Ambassadors including one who is in Engineering Honors and lived in ECOS as a freshman.

-Applied 10/13 but didn’t finish SRAR until 10/17 so we were a bit concerned it would take longer. The Engineering Early Action deadline is 10/15.
-Accepted 11/12.
-Major: General Engineering (plans on Mechanical or Aerospace)
-Out of State National Merit Semifinalist with 4.0 GPA and 1580 SAT
-EC’s- Mostly music- Marching Band, DCI drum corps, Jazz Band.

He is hoping for Engineering Honors and the Engineering Honors Community of Scholars (ECOS) in Mosher Hall.

He is also applying to a bunch of private schools, but his TAMU visit and early acceptance let him drop several other public universities off the list. It will likely be a hard choice weighing the advantages of TAMU as a huge program vs. smaller engineering programs at privates schools, even if they are better funded.