TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@Momof3B Wow that is a lot of information. Idk about the test-optional part because people are getting in quicker if they have test scores or I’m just wrong, who knows. We can’t control that part of the process.

@momof3b - thank you for sharing. I’d like to think TAMU truly is test optional. I agree with that admissions counselor. It wouldn’t be fair to consider one’s student test score and not have the chance to do the same for another. I know they’re claiming it won’t hurt them if their score is low, that they’ll just ignore it. But we’re human. Once you’ve seen the score you can’t convince me that a counselor doesn’t hold some judgment. Make it fair for all. Don’t look at the test scores, any test scores.

Our kids are a lot more than college admission test scores. The rest of the applications says so much more about them. Wishing TAMU candidates the best of luck! Our future is bright with all of them!

-mom of 3G (my youngest is going through the admissions process; you forget how hard the waiting can be!)

I’d like to chime in and respectfully agree. My DD never took a full SAT or practice test, but her PSAT scores were 1300 and 1380 freshman and sophomore years. She took a practice ACT test and said she liked it much better. She took the actual ACT at the start of junior year and got a 35 (like a 1540 on the SAT). She took another PSAT a month later and got a 1390 (like a 31 on the ACT). The SAT structure, material tested, etc. just wasn’t for her. I’m sure your DS is test-weary, but if he’s up for one more…at least a full practice test may be worthwhile.

I’m an OOS EA engineering applicant and my application has been in review for at least 3 weeks now (I submitted October 15 but my supplemental materials weren’t completed until a couple day after). I got a 30 on my only ACT attempt, but I haven’t sent in my scores. I was wondering if submitting scores would have given me an earlier decision?

I’m asking because ACT score-sending has been down for the past couple days, and I’m worried that by the time I’m able to send in my scores and get them processed all the engineering seats will be taken.

Either way (look at SAT or not) isn’t exactly fair, thought. In the case of my son, he had a very good SAT, but his class rank is low (mainly from Freshman year). If they don’t consider his SAT, he probably has a pretty slim chance (his application has been “In Review” since Sept). His GPA would’ve been brought up by his Spring 2020 grades, but his school district went to pass/fail that semester while other districts did not. Such is life, as they say…

mgm1001001 - my daughter’s rank is low too but her HS is incredibly competitive. TAMU knows that. If they don’t already know the school, they’ll look at the HS profile to see how competitive it is and whether or not our kids challenged themselves with the classes available to them. All of that plays into their decision. Best of luck to your son!

@Vgopalam you should send your ACT score. I was able to send mine yesterday to another university

How’s it going! Sorry I took a few days to respond, schools been stressful going to thanksgiving. Anyways, yes I saw your response and it helped me consider a lot. I’m definitely considering the Econ route now but I’m worried how reliable transferring is. I know that you have to get good grades etc. but since the spaces are so limited i would hate to get stuck in a spot where I don’t get into business after I try to transfer. With all this considered I’m looking into Texas tech as a sure way to major in business and I’ve been put into the waitlist for their honor college so that’s also an option. I’m glad I could help some people with the stress of admissions!

Now that S21 has received his 6 tabs, I know the next step is to submit a housing application. If we have absolutely NO idea about any of the residence halls, what would you suggest would be the best way to find some suggestions? Or can anyone suggest one or two? His major is Computer Science (or will be hopefully after ETAM), and he is not surprisingly an introvert gamer who loves playing Magic and online computer games.

Is applying for Computer, Engineering, or College Honors worth it given the fact that he has to get a 3.75 his first year for guaranteed ETAM?

Hey there,
My son applied to A&M back in September. He is not an auto admit, and he has checked his AIS portal every day this week and it stills says “Complete and In Review” Have any non auto admits heard back this week? Or When do you think he will likely hear back?
Thanks!!

I was a student there beginning in 1993, an apparently the dorm I lived in, (the only option at the time) is the crappy dorm now! LOL She is wanting Heritage or Legacy based on what her friends have suggested.

The Modular dorms seem to be the most popular and are crazy big/spacious with lots of storage (total of 4 closets!)…they are a double occupancy room with its own bathroom.

The Commons are pretty popular also, especially with engineering students… these are suite style shared bathroom.

Hullabaloo is the newest/fanciest/most expensive but also is a prime northside location.

Hullabaloo fills up the fastest, followed by modular I believe.

@UTgrad25 our S21 was a non-auto admit (so a review admit) for Computer Science who received his 6 tabs on Wed this week (11/18) and applied on 10/15.

You aren’t picking dorms so just get the application in and pay deposit. Make sure you get your phase 2 date so you’ll know phase 1 is complete. Whatever you put in for a dorm now is not binding nor will it be chosen for you. All of that is done much later.

I’ve never heard of these dorms. They aren’t on campus at least. Hullabaloo is the newest

My daughter is about to hit phase 2 in the housing application. We are a little confused though… she applied for honors (University and/or Liberal Arts College). She knows that if she is accepted, she will have to be in the honors dorm. But she doesn’t know if she has been accepted into honors yet.

I know the deadline for the honors application is next month, and the FAQs say notificatino can be as late as March. Is that the norm? Do they begin notifications before the application deadline?

Should she still list the honors dorm as her 1st choice with the hope that she will be accepted into the program? She might want to be in that dorm anyway even if she doesn’t get into the honors program, so I don’t think it’s a big deal for her to list it as her #1 choice right now. We are just trying to figure out how the housing will work if she does get accepted.

Sorry - couple more questions!

Is there a way to see the status of the honors application (like there was for the admissions application)?

And can someone please tell me where to see where they ranked my daughter? She has been admitted - can we still see that info? She has looked all over the Howdy portal and AIS system and can’t find it. We are just curious…

Thank you!

@kwhdman “And can someone please tell me where to see where they ranked my daughter? She has been admitted - can we still see that info? She has looked all over the Howdy portal and AIS system and can’t find it. We are just curious…”

Before she was admitted, her app status would have shown “1st Quarter or 2nd quarter,” etc under rank, but now that info is missing, so I am not sure where else it might be, if anywhere.

Regarding housing Phase 2 and listing dorm preferences - as mentioned, this list is not at all binding - either your daughter will get into the honors dorm or in May, she will get to pick a room based on when Phase 1 was completed and what is available. She can also change her choice through most of the summer.

In the past, others have surmised that this list is only for Tamu to see what the popular dorms are, or, in case a person does not pick a room themselves, Tamu will try to put them in a dorm from their preferred list.

IMO, making the list causes students to research all the different dorms and options are so that when the time does come to pick a room, they can make an informed choice. So many different room sizes, bathroom configurations, and prices - but there are no “bad” choices.

Mine applied for honors ( reg ) not business. Is there a way to see the process of this and how is one notified if one gets in? And has anyone on here been told they got in reg Honors ?

Has anyone heard about Liberal Arts? My daughter’s best friend is a review candidate and applied under psychology I think. I think her stats are decent and even better than some we know that have already gotten in. I know it’s relatively early for review candidates but things seem to be moving along for some majors. Thanks!