TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

We won’t know the stats on the current freshman class until probably November. Who knows how COVID factored in. And how COVID with impact the current admission cycle. Not having the academic admit is also a twist.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing the common data set for the current freshmen to see how the waitlist was used.

For high school seniors applying for Liberal Arts (where communication is housed) in 2019 47% were admitted and in 2018 it was 56%. So less than half of the people applying were admitted Fall 2019. And that is not 47% of review applicants - that includes all Auto admits. As harsh as it sounds - that means if your daughter applied in 2019 as a review candidate - she would have had less than a 40% chance of getting a full admit. It probably is below 30%. I just don’t have a the statistics that show how many liberal arts students were auto/academic admits VS review.

And another thing you will see on the common data set is that TAMU does value geographic diversity, and values it as “important” on par with the application essay, volunteer and work experience. More valued that recommendations, character/personal qualities or applicants level or interest (tours, previous summer camps etc).

You say your daughter attends a “super competitive high school.” In most cases that means wealthier suburbs. That will work against an applicant.

Here is the applied vs admit four counties. Two “city” and two “suburb.”
Dallas 62%

Collin 56%

Harris 60%

Fort Bend 56%

And then you have more rural areas.

Taylor 62%

Lubbock 67%

My daughter was fall 2019 with an ACT score equivalent to that SAT score (her SAT was lower 1270) and a lower class rank like 39%. She got PSA. But the school she was applying for had even lower admit rate than Liberal Arts (37%).

Not trying to be negative, I just think it is important that applicants have backup plans in case they don’t beat the odds. These are strong, talented students.

I asked an Aggie admissions counselor, who recruits outside the large metro areas, if the top 10% rule was a limiting factor for his recruiting like it is for “wealthy suburb schools.” He said that in many of his target high schools not many more than 10% are even trying to go away to a four year university. Schools outside of Taylor (Abilene) and Lubbock in places like Sweetwater, Snyder, Big Spring and Graham will have even higher acceptance rates.

So if the portal says “My application is complete and in review”, does that mean it is really, actually, truly being looked at? (He is homeschooled so no auto admit status) My son’s other two colleges he’s applying to just say “My application is complete”. I ask especially because he has one letter of recommendation not submitted. Trying to decide if he needs to light a fire under her to get it done and submitted stat.

@chillycow no it just means everything is in and next step is review. The only other status update you’ll see, is when a decision is made. Other tells are getting extra tabs in howdy, seeing the first major change to 2nd choice and that’s about it I guess.

Best of luck!

@Noviite My daughter got into engineering last year with same course rigor and lower SAT ( although her math score was really high ) .

Her school didn’t rank either and she was not top 10%.

I think he will be fine .

@kasper0137, thanks! Do you remember when she got her engineering acceptance? He is planning to submit his application this weekend, not sure how long the waiting game will be :).

@Noviite Looked at old emails , it was December 6th that she got accepted into engineering.

@kasper0137 , Thanks!

Here is a look at the numbers for engineering last year. It has the highest acceptance rate of any major @Noviite because there are more spaces.

Apply/Admit/Enroll
11,881 8,746 3,781

10,519 8,939 4,006

10,404 8,749 3,887

That translates to Engineering admitting 74% in 2019 and 85% in 2018.

@bnels1323

I looked up the Data and Student reports for enrollment for transfers to Civil engineering. There is not a way to look up the GPA or number of accepted transfer students, just the number enrolled.

As @AggieMomhelp stated, transfers are last on the priority list for spots in any engineering major. Seats in each major, in consideration order, current students going through Entry To A Major at A&M, Galveston, and Engineering Academies. Internal change of major within the college of engineering and outside COE, and then transfers. Every transfer competes against all others for what seats might be left that term. Availability of seats can change each semester so if one semester doesn’t work out, you can try for another. Because it can be so competitive, if you are really wanting to major in Civil Engineering, don’t put all of your eggs in one basket and limit yourself to just A&M for transfer.

Here are the numbers for Civil Engineering outside transfers:
Spring 2015 - 5
Fall 2015 - 20
Spring 2016 - 6
Fall 2016 - 17
Spring 2017 - 8
Fall 2017 - 14
Spring 2018 - 4
Fall 2018 - 16
Spring 2019 - 10
Fall 2019 - 13
Spring 2020 - 11

@Thelma2 Do you have any stats for Viz admissions or University studies for incoming freshman? I have to thank you for all your helpful posts!

With the exception of Mays, Visualization is the most competitive major at TAMU. Spots are filled almost exclusively by Auto and Academic admits. Don’t know how things will play out with the removal of academic admits. In past years Viz has reached capacity by November. Usually a week or two behind Mays.

The only REVIEW applicants in the past two cycles that we (remember this is NOT a representative, scientific sample just a sampling of people who choose to post) saw get admitted to the university that had Viz listed as their first choice had engineering listed as their second. So they were admitted to the school, pending the engineering review.

Students with my daughter’s scores (and subscores) were consistent with a reach for full admit to College Station engineering but would almost have assured her at least an engineering academy placement.

My daughter was listed as Viz and Environmental Design. She got PSA two years ago.

In 2019 the percent admitted who applied to the school of Architecture was 37% and in 2018 it was 46%. Of that 37% admitted - the majority would have been auto or academic admits.

There may be a little wiggle room with the removal of the academic admit and the uniqueness of the COVID environment. But if your student is not an auto admit - backup plans are needed.

And if you are talking transfers - it looks like Arch has 50 this year and had 23 in 2019 @twintoAM

If you look at freshman who applied to the school or Arch for 2019:
1,247 Applied
458 Admitted
262 Enrolled

So you are talking 262 freshmen for all of:
Environmental Design
Construction Science
Landscape Architecture
Urban and Regional Planning
Visualization
University Studies - Global Arts, Planning, Design and Construction

If divided equally - that is less than 50 per major. I really think that Viz takes in the neighborhood of 60-70 students each year.

My daughter’s Howdy Portal has 6 tabs today!

When did you apply: August 12th
Class Rank: Top 10%
SAT (with Sub Scores) did not submit
ACT (with Sub Scores) have not taken due to cancellations
When did you receive your admission decision: Howdy Portal 6 tabs 9/6/2020 not official yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Auto admit
Major/College of Choice: College of Liberal Arts - History

@DawnMH , serious?!!! Oh, this is so exciting! Congratulations! Keep us posted!

Hi! - just curious - was your son Auto Admit or review? My son got applied August 6th, but got his application completed Sept 7th as we were waiting on school transcripts? thanks

What is the 6th tab called? I’m assuming the Home tab does not count as one. Even as an auto admit, it’s so hard to wait for that final acceptance!! My daughter applied the first day it opened.

My son’s portal has 6 tabs today! Yippee!

When did you apply: August 1st but completed August 24 (teacher recs not in yet)
Class Rank: Top 10%
SAT (with Sub Scores) did not take due to cancellations
ACT (with Sub Scores) one bad one taken in school awhile ago
When did you receive your admission decision: Howdy Portal 6 tabs 9/6/2020 not official yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Auto admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays Business School

Woo hoo! Good thing we went for a visit last week!

FYI - other tabs are my record, my finances. You can find the school & major on the unofficial transcript.

@DawnMH , I’m curious; did you by chance check the portal on Saturday? I’m just wondering if it showed up on a Sunday, if that meant admissions was working on Saturday? Or if it was there on Saturday, that was just a reflection of Friday’s work being updated on Saturday. I’m way overthinking this but what else is there to do at this point??!! heehee

@DawnMN That’s exciting! And early considering when compared to last few years.
When did she check it last?