TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I have been reading through most recent discussions trying to get a feel for what might be going on with my daughter’s application. Like everyone, we are anxious. She has been accepted to 5 other colleges with scholarship offers, but still waiting on TAMU! Trying to be patient but why are they so slow? In any case, it looks like she is still in review, only has 3 tabs in Howdy, no letters in communications and all majors remain same. Her choice major is Visualization and 2nd is Environmental Design. A friend just got accepted last week and wanted same major but Viz was full so we know that is out already. A part of me wants to reach out to Admissions, but doubt there is anything they can or will tell us and don’t want to irritate them. She applied in August because the advisors told us to for best chance, so this feels like forever. She is not auto admit obviously but had good test scores and GPA and essay, etc. IF lots of people are getting team and waitlist already does that mean no more auto admits?

1 Like

1/20/21 - Same boat. I did call this morning and the person I talked to in Admissions said, “Decisions have been pushed out to end of February.”

We attended an engineering admission virtual session a couple of weeks back. They said that they will need another 4-6 weeks to complete all engineering reviews, so at that point, it meant it will not be complete until mid-Feb. The reason given for them “running late” was that they extended the deadline due to COVID.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Oh and I forgot to add- NHS and 1290 on SAT.

oh wow! Meanwhile other colleges are pressuring us to accept and apply to housing. I hope this means there is still a chance for full admit! Gonna be a long month…

2 Likes

Anyone have knowledge of off campus housing? I see a lot of condos near campus are cheap any thoughts?

I just had a sudden fear that the 6 tabs would only lead to university admissions and he’d end up in engineering review that drags on for a few more months! Can anyone tell me I’m wrong?

why would the major change then from whatever it was to General Eng ?

1 Like

The major for all freshman engineers is general engineering until they go through ETAM (entrance to a major) to select their specific major, ie mechanical, chemical, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, I get that. I was responding to @wewait 's concern that engg review is still pending. I was just saying if the eng review is not done, why would they change the major, in our case, just for the first choice major. Wishful thinking ? I am also hoping this is done based on what @AggieMomhelp said this morning

1 Like

I’m sorry, but the entire point of the “early action deadline” for engineering was to get an EARLY decision – BY MID-DECEMBER. That’s not something theoretical, it’s on their freakin’ website.

My kid has been waiting over 5 months. Admissions missed the mid-December deadline and now is saying they can’t deliver by January like they said. And the reason? Deadlines extended due to Covid. Translation for the kids waiting – sorry but we’re hoping we get better applicants, so you won’t get an answer until we see if someone better shows up. If you’re going to tell me I’m wrong, then explain how A&M can’t decide after 5 months if someone is qualified to attend or not and continues to push back making decisions to allow for other people to apply.

If we get into February without a decision, I’m sure mine will bail on A&M and commit somewhere else, and I can’t blame 'em. They’ve got housing to find and roommates to locate. If this is what it means to be an “elite” institution, no thanks. Definitely not the same school I attended.

3 Likes

Oh, I see what your saying. On the bright side, maybe it means the eng review has already been completed lol.

Two years ago when my son applied to engineering, his major changed to “Undeclared?” I want to say, when he was accepted but made it clear that he was in engineering review. After a few weeks when the engineering review was over, his major changed to general engineering.

2 Likes

Hi Where do you see “General Engineering” and campus on 6 tabs?

IMO, it’s the sheer volume of applications they receive, and now they have to be ranked without using SAT/ACT scores and no academic admit.

According to the fall 2020 stats, there were 8680 non top 10% applications and 5406 were admitted. (Last year there was still academic admit so probably most of those 5406 were academic admit which made admissions job easier since not as many applications to rank.).

Now, assuming there is still close to 8000-9000 review engineering applicants, admissions has to “rate” them against one another, supposedly without using SAT scores. They have a huge job. Isn’t it true that UT doesn’t give out any acceptances till February, after the ranking is done?

http://accountability.tamu.edu/All-Metrics/Mixed-Metrics/Applied,-Admitted,-Enrolled

Last I looked on the Tamu site, they had taken off the promise of hearing by mid Dec if app was in by Oct 15, but maybe I didn’t look hard enough

Truly hope you get good news soon!

On Howdy or AIS?

Following up on your good points. This is the future of holistic review that everybody is so passionate about. When you eliminate ways to compare (and I’m not saying that’s good or bad), but take away something that can be quickly calculated in an algorithm, then the result is a longer human element to the entire situation.

Holistic review…yay!!

1 Like

I think some if not all are using AI software to do some degree of screening. Not sure if that is more concerning or not :slight_smile: but just like job interviews, it is bound to happen

Howdy

1 Like

My daughter is also Aerospace engineering - No word yet. I think I’m more worried than she is - I’m checking it everyday… she is just waiting patiently!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. The systems are already in place at many private schools, but you have to wait until April or May for a decision. They are proof that AI and Holistic can be accomplished. Unfortunately many public schools weren’t ready for such an immediate changeover caused by Covid.