TAMU College of Liberal Arts Cornerstone Honors Program

My son was invited to this program, I would love to hear about people’s experiences.

I’ve not had a good experience so far-I was accepted and then told I don’t meet program requirements. This was AFTER I emailed the correct person asking if I was still eligible to apply due to not meeting the requirements (I was unsure if they took anything else into consideration and also about whether or not admission was dependent on meeting only those requirements.) and then being told to send my application in anyways.

I sent it in and corrected it to how they wanted me to correct it. I was accepted a little over a week ago, and then told a few days later that I could no longer be a part of the program.
What this has shown me is that their emphasis on test scores and rank is just that-they don’t care about extracurriculars, grades, skill, or HS situation. It also showed me that they apparently do not know how to read-my application, along with my email, explicitly stated that I did NOT meet the requirements. They still had the audacity to accept me, reject me, and then follow up with two passive aggressive emails telling me to NOT send in my application next time if I don’t meet the requirements.

Seriously, I’m sure it’s a pretty cool program, but I would personally tell your son to think twice about joining until he can 1) hear about the program from a current Cornerstone student and 2) can ensure that the people running it can ACTUALLY READ.

@nosyllaste that’s so disappointing! Thank you for sharing your experience. They really didn’t handle your situation properly, it’s very unprofessional. My son never applied to the program but received an invite with a form to send back to accept the offer. Then a few days later they sent an email saying:

"Howdy!

The below email was sent to a large group of students last week. It has recently been brought to our attention that some students who received this email are actually not eligible to join the Cornerstone Honors program as an incoming freshmen due to class rank. Our apologies for this confusion. Please check the program requirements to determine if you are eligible to join before filling out/returning the confirmation form.

If you do not meet the requirements to join the program as an incoming freshmen, don’t fret! You will bel able to join the program as a ‘current’ student after your first semester here, as long as you have at least a 3.5 TAMU GPR.

Thank you for understanding. Have a great weekend!"

Ugh- as of now we don’t know if he’s in or out…

@photomom99 It was extremely disappointing. I’m a little bitter, but I guess I do realize they are only human.
I received that email, as well, on TOP of the other emails. If he meets the requirements, I would think he is still invited to the program. If not, or if there is any lingering uncertainty, I would go ahead and email them.

Bumping this one up hoping for more information and hopefully experience in the program.

Well I think Tulane sent out acceptance emails to some people who were not accepted this year, so compared to that, the mistake is not as bad :slight_smile: And you can always reapply next semester!!