TAMU Corpus Christi vs College Station for Computer Science?

@Thelma2 , @AggieMomhelp , and anyone else with experience,
I’m exploring schools for my high school sophomore son. He thinks he is interested in computer science at this point. I think he stands a good chance of getting into TAMU College Station based on his grades, rank, PACT and PSAT scores but I’m thinking he might be a kid who does better at a smaller school setting. Do kids ever chose TAMU Corpus Christi over the College Station campus to get the smaller school setting yet still be an “Aggie”? Is there one application for both campuses or do kids apply directly to the Corpus campus? Do Corpus kids fair just as well at job fairs and internships?

@TXRunningMom When you utilize the apply Texas Application you can check off the schools you wish to apply. So it is the same application. Now, as for the differences of the two schools. Do not confuse TAMU Corpus as the same as TAMU CS. They are totally different universities. Going to Corpus does not make you an “Aggie” nor do you get an Aggie ring. With all due respect to Corpus, it does not have near the academic standing as CS. I strongly suggest taking a visit to campus while school is in session to get a feel for the size etc. of the school. However, for such a large school, TAMU CS has a smaller school culture due to the traditions and student activities available. There is a community for everyone. You just can’t get the vibe unless you go.

@trinley , I didn’t realize that Corpus students don’t get “the ring”. Do you know if Galveston has computer science? It looks like it is just ocean engineering or something.

Yes, only Galveston and now I think McAllen (I could be wrong on that one) are considered “aggies”. The satellite schools are not considered to be a “good” University. Have you looked up UT Dallas? They have a great engineering program and much smaller school!!!

I agree with AggieMomhelp - UT Dallas has one of the best CS programs and they are “smaller” than TAMU or UT.

@TXRunningMom Galveston does not have CS and is part of TAMU so you get a ring and an TAMU diploma. Corpus is a TAMU system school much like West Texas A&M, TAMU Commerce, TAMU Kingsville etc. At A&M your son will be a general engineering major his freshman year. He will then apply for his specific major around April of his Freshman year. The freshman Engineering class will expose him to multiple engineering disciplines. You never know what a persons interest will be at that time. UT Dallas would be a good choice if he wants a smaller setting.

@TXRunningMom here is the link to the TAMU “system schools”:

https://www.tamus.edu/system/about/