TAMU Engineering Honors

@Barfly - Actually three sons, but only one Aggie. My Aggie forgot to apply to Engineering Honors last year, so he just applied this year after first semester. So far, he likes U Honors and thinks that he will be able to take the required classes. To me, E honors doesn’t look like that much more work and the additional benefits look worthwhile, particularly research opportunities. What do you think?

FWIW, son number two will be starting at Miami (Ohio) in August in Mechanical Engineering. He really liked TAMU, but wanted to go his own way. Son number three will be a high school senior next year and also is interested in engineering. He is more likely to stay in Arizona, but will also consider TAMU, Miami, and Michigan State (my alma mater).

Yes, @Beaudreau, I agree with your analysis of Engineering Honors.

@KievanRus, have you checked your tamu.edu email? S has an email saying he’s accepted into Engineering Honors.

@Barfly, thanks a lot! I had forgotten I even had that email, and I did receive the engineering honors acceptance email. Again, thanks for the update.

Ha ha, @KievanRus! My son didn’t know about it either until he signed up for something with A&M and never got the promised reply email, and when he asked they said it went to his tamu.edu email! Oops! He had never checked it and had a lot of emails - mostly spam!

Looks like those who were accepted to EH early on (Jan. 30 in my son’s case) now have to go back and submit an essay, resume, scores, etc. per an email we received today. Following a phone discussion with the EASA EH contact this afternoon, my son is accepted, but they want the basic information and essay on file like all other applicants. (Funny, we called and asked about this a month ago when we learned everyone was submitting an essay, etc. and they said there was no need to.) Regardless, she said there was “far more interest” in EH this year than prior years, which brought about the more comprehensive review process. Not sure if they’ll be accommodating the increased number of EH students with additional EH course sections or not – she said they were still evaluating that. My son is in the second NSC for engineering students (June 16-17) so we hope there are sections still open.

What does “Admit Cohort” mean? That’s what it says on my application status.

My son was invited to apply in Feb. but didn’t submit until May, 2015. He was in the top 25% at one of the highest ranked public high schools in TX. He also had an 800 on the math SAT. He submitted the simple app and was accepted about 2 weeks later. They did not request an essay to be submitted. I’m not sure why they invited him to apply when he clearly did not meet the top 10% requirement but maybe they considered the high school he attended, the rigor of the classes he took, and his SAT score.