TAMU Engineering Honors

Hi, I was admitted to TAMU NUEN in November and I have applied to the honors program. I was wondering about how long does it take to get a decision and also what does being an honors student really involve? Thanks ?

bump

Are you applying for unviersity or engineering honors? Applied for engineering honors in November and heard back 1/4.

I applied for engineering honors. My application was marked as complete on 1/11. How hard would you say it is to get in?

@UniGirl815 , My son also completed his engineering honors app on 1/11. He hasn’t heard anything, yet. Have you?

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp , how are engineering honors decisions communicated (email, Howdy, snail mail, other?)

@CamandCam I haven’t heard anything. I’m really hoping to hear something back by the end of the month. Based on what @OSHA11 said, it sounds like that’ll be about the time.

I have zero experience with honors. ?

@CamandCam When my son applied to engineering honors it was through a portal and if you book mark that page and recheck it, that is the first place it will appear when they admit you. Typically its several weeks after you are admitted to engineering when you get your answer, but it can vary greatly. Unless something has changed it is only a couple of people that read all those engineering honors essays and process the applications, so anything that changes their schedule, effects the timeline.

In engineering honors, there is a 1 credit seminar class you’ll take your freshman year (ENGR 181H); you decide if you take it in the fall or spring. It involves going to hear different speakers about the various fields of engineering, and there was one short paper required this year (a summary of one lecture, I think).

Here are suggested engineering honors courses for freshmen in general engineering:

ENGR 102H – Engineering Lab I Computation – 2 credits
ENGR 216H – Experimental Physics and Engineering Lab II - 2 credits
ENGR 181H – Engineering Honors Seminar - 1 credit (graded S/U, does not figure into GPA)

After your freshman year, you’ll follow the honors track for your major found here: https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/eh/program/index.html

Honors kids get early registration which is a huge benefit at TAMU. You’ll sign up for fall classes at your NSC, but for spring registration you’ll get an early time slot which is very helpful when you’re trying to get certain professors. You can leave the program at any time.

@UniGirl815 , My son logged into the Engineering Honors application just now, and there is a notice that he has been admitted. Log in to check status.

It states the following:

You have been selected to participate! Please indicate whether you accept or decline this invitation below.

@CamandCam when did your son applied?

@AAA124555 , his application was completed January 11.

He also received notification this morning by email at his TAMU email address.

@CamandCam thanks my son applied on 17th January and still waiting.

I completed my application January 10th and was accepted this morning.

@theCluXDeluX and others , do you know the deadline for accepting?

I don’t remember a deadline for accepting, but you can go ahead and accept even if you haven’t accepted admission to TAMU. Accepting engineering honors doesn’t bind you to the university in any way. Accepting early gives you a better chance of possibly receiving one of their scholarships and getting into honors housing.

Thanks again @chercheur

@CamandCam I logged into the portal and it still says “You will be notified when a decision is released.” Do you think they’ll be releasing decisions for January applicants over the weekend and next week?

@UniGirl815 , I’m not sure about that. I’ve quit trying to predict anything about this whole process. It’s been a little maddening! :slight_smile: Your stats are very good. This is my first time through this process, so I’m hesitant to chance anyone, but with your stats, I think you should get in. Keep checking over the weekend. Keep us posted. Good luck!