TAMU Engineering

<p>Does anybody know exactly what it means when by "Major (Preference)?" I applied to A&M in September and was accepted into the Dwight Looks College of Engineering back in December, but not my wanted major, specifically. My preferred major is Mechanical Engineering, if that is a helpful bit of information. I just am wondering if anybody has been accepted into their desired major, and when I should figure out if I am accepted/declined from Mechanical.</p>

<p>Also, I don't know if anybody else had this issue, but back when I applied for housing for Mosher Hall around 01/05/2014, I was not allowed to sign up for Mosher Hall, so I e-mailed TAMU and asked why. They said I was not allowed to because Mosher Hall was for Freshmen only, and they that I was considered a Sophomore because I had over 30 credit hours (from DC classes I presume), and they said that I should just put Dunn as my first choice and change it once they figure out more. Anyways, one week later, I was allowed to choose Mosher Hall, and so I changed my hall preference to Mosher from Dunn. Does anyone have any more information about this issue - if incoming students who aren't considered Freshmen allowed to dorm in Mosher Hall?</p>

<p><a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/faq-admitted#1stday”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/faq-admitted#1stday&lt;/a&gt;
According to the above info, you will apply to your major after your first semester, so unless there are exceptions being made, everyone admitted for fall 2014 will be general engineering. </p>

<p>I have not heard of units being a problem for any ‘freshman only’ designation- it is not that uncommon to come in with several units - they are still treated as freshman whether they had 30 or 60 units for most things on campus. Also, not everyone accepts all their pre-earned units, so it seems odd that housing would jump to that conclusion- glad it was resolved for you.</p>

<p>Thank you, AGmom. I also thought that was weird. I mean, I have taken a good 30-40 credits worth of Dual Credit courses, so I guess that has to be it. I know for sure that you have to accept which AP credits you want at the New Student Conference, but I have not heard about accepting Dual Credit ‘credits,’ so I just assumed that was that.</p>

<p>I also feel confused here. I did my Alevels and if nothing goes wrong, I would be technically taking sophomore classes at TAMU because I am eligible for 32 credt hours. I am doing engineering as well… Does that mean I could take my preferred major now since technically I will not be doing freshman classes? Alright I feel lost about what I’m talking about…</p>

<p>If AGmom is correct, I am going to go on ahead and assume that you are also going to have to wait to officially take your preferred major until after the first semester. However, you can go on ahead and take whatever classes that fit your schedule that you are eligible to take. If you are exempt from taking English, then you can probably take another math/science class that most people probably would not take until their second year. As long as you follow the path for your desired major, I do not see why it should matter whether or not A&M lets you officially take your preferred major.</p>

<p>I hope that made sense.</p>

<p>My D was able to drop the required on campus meal plan this year because of her technical designation from DC/AP classes. I don’t think they intended for that to happen, but it seems to be a loop hole. It saved us a lot of money.</p>

<p>I do not have ‘insider’ information on this, it is a brand new program starting this fall. There will be lots of questions since this is a new path for engineering students. I’d suggest you ask an advisor if you are wondering what sort of courses (major specific or not) you could take, if you have several incoming units. My suggestion would be to look at the degree plan for your desired major, and compare that to the courses you believe you will accept credit for prior to asking an advisor, then they can better assist you. </p>

<p><a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/media/130457/common_body_of_knowledge__cbk__worksheet.pdf”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/media/130457/common_body_of_knowledge__cbk__worksheet.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Does this link help in any way? This worksheet explains what one must do to advance into Upper Level Mechanical Engineering, to include what Transfer Students must do. Hope it helps!</p>