TAMU Freshman Engineering Textbooks

<p>My S has printed the textbook list within the Howdy system. We have begun comparing pricing with Amazon, but it seems the ISBN's for Physics 218 don't match, but the book titles do. The system also does not list any Math 152 textbooks as "required". Does anyone know a better place to find the required books and materials for Math 152, Physics 218 and Eng 111? We don't want to order the wrong books.</p>

<p>I think there was an “A&M” edition of the book for Physics 218. I don’t know exactly what is different in it, if anything. The real result was that I could not sell the book back and it was basically worthless after the class. I made my D take it back to school and try to give it away to some Freshman. I don’t know if she did or not. Is it still the thirteenth edition? I might still have the looseleaf book. PM me if are interested.</p>

<p>Thanks Debbie7452. I sent you a PM. </p>

<p>Is it best to buy your books before the semester starts or after? My S was a little concerned he might be behind while waiting for books to arrive. We just don’t want to buy stuff he doesn’t need.</p>

<p>I do a little of both. If I can find the book used and cheap ahead of time, I go ahead and order it. I try to check out which kind of book will have a “trade in” value before I select it. Some paperback and looseleaf books are not taken back for trade in. However, my D liked the convenience of loose leaf books, because she can carry the chapters she needs around to study groups without toting the whole book. If I fail to find the book or it is only available from the bookstore, then we order it at the last minute. It’s never been a problem with classes. Sometimes the prof will tell the kids flat out that some of the supplemental materials are not needed and that saves $$. I use Amazon and have found it’s used sellers area very reliable and sometimes ridiculously cheap. I got an Organic textbook for $3.99. It was the previous edition which the Prof approved as OK. </p>

<p>Sorry, if this is too much information! I’m on my second Aggie, so I’ve been doing this a while.</p>

<p>Math textbooks are included in course fees, will be available for “free” online once the class starts.
I would strongly recommend buying the solution guide for calculus, really really helpful and covers Calculus
1,2, and 3. Buy that from someone on campus for a good price (I actually have one that I don’t need anymore).</p>

<p>Concerning physics depends on what “version” your child is taking there are types offered. typically buy my books from students on campus at fractions of the cost. Do so through the Texas A&M facebook page, and there is a group specifically for textbook exchange.</p>

<p>Please let me know if you have any other questions or need the link to the facebook page, would love to help in any way.</p>

<p>RadHealth - When you say the Math textbooks are included, what do you mean? My S bought a text book for Math 152 already. Did we jump the gun a little? He bought what was listed as “required” by the bookstore via the Howdy portal.</p>

<p>Could you tell me what you bought, I forgot what is “required” for the class. I know last year the book was available to everyone as an electronic copy through the online homework system, webassign.</p>

<p>Any thoughts re: those special “A&M edition” textbooks? Do you HAVE to have them, or can you go with the publisher’s regular textbook (which are often cheaper)? </p>

<p>I would advice you to wait and see what the teacher says. MOST of the time buying a general edition is fine. However, sometimes teachers assign specific problems from the books. These problems vary by edition and version. I’ve had friends do entire homework assignments and get back zeros because they did the wrong problems. Just ask the professor in class and see if it’s OK. You don’t need the book the first day, most people don’t.</p>

<p>FYI…college students get a free year of Amazon Prime (the free 2-day shipping option). The professor generally will give you a week or two to need the book (you should start checking for the emailed syllabus a few days before school starts). That gives you plenty of time to order from Amazon or rent from Chegg (both have lightning fast shipping).</p>

<p>The only caution is that some of the freshman books are ordered along with the online homework packages. I believe this was only true for Chemistry for S1. You can always return the books to Amazon - it’s very simple to send them back if you find out they’re wrong.</p>

<p>I help my kids with the book-shopping part because it saves ME money :-). We’ve saved a ton over the bookstore prices. Occasionally, we mess-up (worst mistake was $40) but we’ve saved thousands, so it’s all good.</p>

<p>I’m still bitter about the $100 organic chemistry “book” (actually a bunch of looseleaf paper) that a TAMU professor wrote and they required. That was the worst rip-off ever! I think that kind of nepotism should be illegal! The bookstore furnishes the ISBN #s…use them and SHOP AROUND!!!</p>

<p>Thanks. We decided to purchase (rather than rent) several used books that my son will use for multiple semesters. I checked the Amazon and they no longer offer the free year of Prime. They give you six months, but then start billing for the service.</p>

<p>Is there any advantage in having books shipped home before moving to campus vs picking them up at the campus book store? Are lines very long in that week before classes start?</p>

<p>The lines in the bookstore are quite long. You might be able to avoid the lines if they can just ship them to you, depends if the extra money is worth it to you. If there are any books you can order off of Amazon or another website do it, the A&M bookstore always delivers my books after Amazon does. </p>

<p>Having trouble finding books for ENGR111, Organic Chem, and Calc 3 anywhere other than the A&M BN store. Looks like they are unique to A&M. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>We found the same issue. My S purchased a couple of books from Amazon, but the rest from the campus bookstore. He did find the Eng 111 book at Amazon <a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Fundamentals-Problem-Solving-Arvid/dp/0073534919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407387355&sr=8-1&keywords=Engineering+Fundamentals+and+Problem+Solving”>http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Fundamentals-Problem-Solving-Arvid/dp/0073534919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407387355&sr=8-1&keywords=Engineering+Fundamentals+and+Problem+Solving&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But, is the ISBN number the same as what is needed? I show a different number, unless I am looking at the wrong place.</p>

<p>My son researched some past syllabus and was fairly comfortable that the Amazon book would work. It is a little bit of a risk, but he can return it to Amazon easily. He actually wanted to start reviewing the textbooks this summer. As I understand, professors give you a little time to get your textbooks once school starts. </p>

<p>Okay, I understand. I was thinking it was a ‘special’ textbook to A&M because the publisher at least listed for mine said MCG custom (I figure that is McGraw but a custom book).</p>

<p>I just finished both Engr 111/112, did not have the books and did fine. They posted the necessary information on the course site, which was only about 10 pages per semester. </p>

<p>I am a student at tamu. I have used copies of “calculus early vectors”, university physics volumes 1 and 2, don’t panic physics volume 2, statics, probability and statistics for engineers and Chem 107 book. If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these books send me a private nessage. All books are still in good condition.</p>