TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

@kcheves You only have to send in the required test scores, but even if you sent them all in, they’ll take the best and not even worry about the other ones.

Thank you @YourCollegeMom. Test scores submitted.

DD decided to upload a resume today with her added honor societies. I wonder if they actually look at the “extra” documents?

@labegg

They might look at the resume, but it won’t do much. On the TAMU admissions website, it says

“Optional documents traditionally have very little impact on the admission decision.”.

When I asked by local TAMU admissions guy about rec letters, he said I shouldn’t even really bother because they fell under “optional”.

@labegg I think they look at everything when doing a holistic review. It can’t hurt and it makes her application that much better! My son added everything- letters of recommendations, resume, optional essay C, and all his ECs. We are hoping his whole file is looked at when considering things like honors, scholarships, in addition to admissions. Best of luck to your DD!!

@labegg if you submit information they can access it, whether or not they use it is probably case-by-case. I do know someone that did submit both the resume & rec letter with comparatively low stats (both rank & test scores) who did gain full acceptance. So did it help? who knows - you just get a decision, no explanation. It certainly didn’t hurt though since he got full acceptance. A review candidate is in a different boat than auto admits, what an advisor says to one student may differ when talking to another, since their job is to advise the student posing the question.

This waiting is painful! lol Anyone else ready for notifications to be sent out? Just give my son a few more tabs!

@labegg I am under the impression that the optional documents are important when you are a bubble student. In my opinion, use everything you have. Let them decide what to use and not use. I’d rather over share then wonder if I should have. Now if you send in more than 2 LORs, they can get a little put off, but 1 or 2 is fine. And Resumes are a great way to showcase new stuff, just like she did. There’s no way students know in July things that may happen in October. So yeah, tell her great job!!!

@YourCollegeMom the waiting is interminable, lol. I do not understand why they wait until December because you “might” update with scores. I feel like if you are a rolling or semi rolling admission school, if a student submitted the application and scores then they saying…go ahead and review it, make a decision. Some applications even ask if you are planning on taking additional tests so they will hold it until new scores are received, this wait could be avoided. Every passing week things feel dimmer and dimmer. Your positive attitude is uplifting. Thanks!

Now you sit here and over think, analyze, and such. Last night we discovered after some research on MyHowdy, that DD’s intended major is an “impacted” major…we had actually gone on to update her second choice major and low and behold there it was listed that Psychology was an impacted major, not sure how we missed it before…now we stress about it, maybe she should have picked a different one.

UT notified their auto admits yesterday. DD’s application status there moved to “in review”.

@labegg Fear not on the impacted major. They will just bump her 2nd choice to her first. It should not affect her acceptance. One of my best friends is an advisor in Psych. I am seeing her tonight. I will ask that question tho, to see if truly impacted AND to see if she feels it matters or not on total acceptance into TAMU. What is DDs 2nd choice major? At this point, I kind of feel like all majors are “impacted”.

Her second choice is now Forensics and Investigative Science. I agree all major are essentially “impacted”. Than you.

That major sounds so cool. I saw someone else on this sight with that. I had not heard of it. It’s great all the things they are able to study nowadays. If only we could go back and do it again! It’s actually why I started Your College Mom, lol, I wanted to stay in touch with college life! Best of both worlds!

@labegg I applied as a Forensic and Investigative Sciences major as well. It is not an impacted major at TAMU so she will most likely get it if she doesn’t get Psychology. Let me know if she ends up majoring in forensics because I do not know anyone else who is applying to A&M with this major :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if the Keller Leadership scholarship is worth applying for if you know you are not a top tier applicant?

What do you think my chances are of at least getting Blinn TEAM? I applied 13 Oct and I haven’t gotten my AIS login yet so I don’t think I got early action despite sending everything in. I can also get recommendation letters from distinguished former students if I see I didn’t make early action.

Application Date: 13 Oct 2017
GPA and Class Rank: 4.0, 95.5, 21/289
ACT Composite: n/a
SAT: 1340 (710R, 630M)
College applied for: TAMU Engineering
Major in that College: Civil En 1st, Industrial En 2nd
ECs: FBLA, yearbook, school news crew, shooting sport team, youth leadership org, about 55 hrs of community service
Did you do all 3 essays: Yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process?: No idea
In state/Out of State: Out of State (GA)
Current Status on AIS: haven’t gotten UIN

@YourCollegeMom Maybe you can help? You seem to be insightful.

@T2GUNS you are top 10% and while you are OOS and the rule does not technically apply to you, I think you can count yourself safe for a full offer, I do not know about engineering…

@T2Guns if you have your app in by today, you are fine. Regardless of when you get your UIN. Your SAT is just short of academic admit. You should be good for full admission, especially for Tamu. Engineering is tough so if your ECs and essays are great you will be highly considered! Fear not. You’ve done the work and done your best. Good luck I hope all works out in your favor, but if it doesn’t work out as planned, just know it’ll be okay!!!

@T2Guns there is Blinn Team (which is for those who do not get CS direct admission to the university) & Blinn Engineering Academy (which is for full CS admits to the university, that don’t get Engineering school major at CS) http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

It is difficult to get full admission from the review pool, so do have a back up plan. If you retake the exams and score in the academic admit range submit your scores & you will be bumped to the academic admit pool ( must be received by Dec 8). There are two different reviews - the admit to university is 50% scores & rank and 50% everything else. The engineering one is looking for readiness for engineering curriculum. Roughly 15% of admits to the university traditionally come from the review pool, the rest are from automatic admits (top 10% TX & academic admits). Best of luck!

@T2Guns AGmomx2 is right about the Blinn Engineering Academy. It is a great program. You are considered an Aggie, get all the amenities of an Aggie and even take Engineering courses at TAMU. But majority of classes at Blinn. I have a friend whose son is doing this. He was top 2% in TX high school, but just didn’t put much effort into his application because he thought it was a slam dunk. But he now feels this was the best solution for him and loves work load. So, lots of options!!!

When do holistic reviews recieve their admission response? I’ve heard that it won’t be until mid February but I don’t know if that’s true. I have 13 close family members who either attended or are attending A&M so it holds a special place in my heart and is the only school I want to attend, but I am not automatic and the wait is hard! If I do not get full admission but am offered Blinn TEAM I will most likely take that route, although I am hoping for the best.

Applied: 9/21/17 Status: Complete and in review
Currently ranked (197/857) top 23% in my class at a very competitive HS
SAT: 1190
ACT: 24
Did all 3 essays: Yes, I feel this is the strongest part of my application
Extra curricular: 4 years of HS and club volleyball (lead manager,team captain experience) lots of religious activities, part time job, volunteering, club participation
In state
AP classes: 6