TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

@cookieliu Chances are extremely high.

Maybe she could take both the regular Dec SAT and the residual at A&M. To increase her chances at getting a higher score. If she gets the score she wants in the residual maybe she would find out in time to cancel the Dec test.

@cookieliu i think your chances are very high!

Thank you for your encouragement, I sure hope so.

Thank you for your encouragement, I sure hope so.

Interested in feedback on my DD applicant. Overall I think a strong candidate for full admit but her ACT score concerns us. Thoughts??

Application Date: 8/6/2017
GPA and Class Rank: 4.2 wt GPA - non ranking school put TAMU forced ranked into Top Quarter
ACT Composite: 28 - (Eng-28, Math-22, Read-31, Sci-30)
SAT
College applied for: Ag
Major in that College: Animal Science
ECs: 4 year varsity Softball, 4 yr varsity XC, 8 years 4H, Secretary of Student Life, NHS, National Spanish HS, National Art HS, 2 Theater Productions, All District recognition in Softball 2 years, Academic All State.
Did you do all 3 essays: Absolutely
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? Family survived armed home invasion and daughter used that in essays to demonstrate perseverance, working in stressful situations, personal awareness, mental/emotional survival and resiliency.
In state/Out of State: In
Current Status on AIS: Complete and in review

Her sister HS class of 2015 was Blinn Team with a 4.1 and 27 ACT. Similar ECs, Weaker Essays. Transferred to full A&M Sophomore year and is in her Jr. year LOVING TAMU. Completing her 90 hr this semester and will order her FTA Gold in January!

@PleaseGod2022 first… I’m literally laughing out loud at your name. So funny. Second I’m shocked a 27 didn’t get your first daughter in full admit. I do know it was a tough year 2015. However fro class of 2021, I know so many students that got in with a 24 or less. My son also has 28 and if he doesn’t get in, I would totally appeal it. Your daughters state look really good. Sit tight. She’s got this. Oh and so scary to hear about home invasion. Blessed all we’re okay!

Thanks @YourCollegeMom My 2015 grad was pretty disappointed (I think that’s the first reaction of all BlinnTeamers but got over it and kinda was what it was! I’ve seen stats on the 2015 Blinn Team Avg student and it’s something like a 4.0 and a 27 ACT. So for at least 2015 she seemed to be a fit. We also knew candidates with lower GPA/ACT that were accepted that year so who knows really. My current applicant wants nothing other than Texas A&M and has only applied one other place (b/c it felt like she should) and has been accepted but will honestly never attend. She will go Blinn Team or straight Blinn and transfer. Her heart is already maroon!!

Didn’t know that an appeal process existed. I hope that we don’t have to go there but do you have a link to the process information? TIA!!

@PleaseGod2022 I don’t have a link handy. Not wanting to put the cart before the horse! If it came to that, I live here so would just head up to campus admissions office and chat with someone and go from there. Let’s pray it doesn’t come to that! Blinn Team and Blinn is no joke. Great atmosphere either way and huge reward at the finish line!!!

I just received an email from the Office of Honors Programs encouraging me to complete the honors application. Does this mean that I’m in or do they send this email out to everyone? I do not see 6 tabs in Howdy or any update in AIS.

Also, it says the deadline to submit the honors application is January 16. In order for the application to be complete, I have to apply for on-campus housing with honors housing as my preference. Since I can only apply for on-campus housing after I am admitted, does this mean that I will receive an admissions decision on or before January 16 in order to complete my application?

@fivsmajor - Same boat. Received the email from Honors but still not acceptance as of yet. Anyone have any intel on this? Seems to be a step in the right direction?

My son got the same thing. Not sure it means anything. Sorry to say. I think honors is basically for auto or academic admits. I will research it though.

Application Date: 10/28/17 complete and in review
GPA and Class Rank: 3.38/48%
ACT Composite: 31
SAT:1340
College applied for:
Major in that College: BIMS
ECs:
Did you do all 3 essays: yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? My topic a essay and act score
In state/Out of State: in state
Current Status on AIS: in review

Chances of my son getting in???

Application Date: 8/9/17 complete and in review
GPA and Class Rank: 4.75/5.0/11.5%
ACT Composite: 26
SAT:1280 (660 math and 620)
College applied for: Geoscience
Major in that College: Geology
ECs: Varsity football/team captain/leadership council, Student Conservation Assn volunteer
Did you do all 3 essays: yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? EC, leadership, grades

My daughter received the Honors email as well. I’m not reading much into it other than they are looking at her admissions info.

My daughter received the same email regarding Honors. I wish it meant something but not sure!

I have been watching these posts for quite some time; thank you all for the useful info.
My son stands a chance of not getting an A&M engineering slot at all (at CS, TEAM-E, Galveston, or McAllen), and I am wondering what would be the best A&M or other campus to try to transfer from later. He has a lot of AP credits, so I don’t think trying for Eng Academy at Blinn outright would help him, but perhaps someone will help me out here.

Application Date: 8/5/17 complete and in review
GPA and Class Rank: 3.25uw/32% (excellent grades last year, messed around some in prior years; took lower point value engineering and swim team at competitive school, not helping rank)
Other academic: 12 AP or dual credits at graduation, Cal BC and Physics C-Mechanics last year with further AP math and physics E&M, etc. this year, typically gets 3 or 4 on AP tests; 5 yrs of engineering courses
ACT Composite: n/a
SAT:1360 (680/680)
College applied for: Engineering
Major in that College: Mechanical
ECs: Eagle scout, 200 hr community service, multiyear high school swim team, SolidWorks CAD tool professional certification
Did he do all 3 essays: yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? Received 2 good LOR’s from math and engineering teachers, thoroughgoing desire and aptitude for engineering, SolidWorks certification

Which other A&M engineering program would be best to apply to and try to transfer from–Galveston and declare ocean engineering, Corpus Christi, Kingsville, …? I am reluctant to send him out of the A&M system due to transfer credit issues unless someone advises trying to transfer later from UTA or Tech. I appreciate any advice here, thank you.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg I would seriously look at Tarleton State

My son was an auto academic admit to Mays - received his acceptance about 1 1/2 weeks ago. He hasn’t received anything regarding Honors via email or the Howdy portal. He didn’t apply either. Just adding to the info base for the mysterious Honors emails.

@labegg, thank you.

1. Does anyone know whether, say, the ENGR courses in the new Mechanical Engineering program at Tarleton will transfer to College Station/Galveston? This is a brand new program at Tarleton, and I don't think A&M's equivalency tool is accurate.
  2. Also, does anyone know whether having taken 12 AP or dual credit courses (usual English, history, math, physics, etc.) means that there would be very little or nothing to take at Blinn?

I have an engineering degree from A&M. My son and I tried to get as many admission points as possible by touring the campus, attending orientation, etc. He has good leadership experience as well (11 years in scouting). I know that my son is bright and talented enough, but he’s got some more maturing ahead of him.