TAMU Honors Application Open

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>We encourage all students applying to Texas A&M as freshmen for Fall 2014 to consider applying to the University Honors Program. The University Honors Program provides intellectually-stimulating course work and an engaging community to help you reach your full potential. The application URL is Honors</a> Application, but you are strongly encouraged to review the information about the University Honors Program benefits and application guidance found at <a href="https://honors.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://honors.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents.html&lt;/a>. </p>

<p>We have also created a disambiguation page for the several different college and departmental Honors opportunities at Texas A&M: My</a> Site - Honors Programs. Please check this site for information about requirements and applying to these different programs.</p>

<p>Admission to the University Honors Program as a freshman is based on a competitive application process that involves several multiple-choice questions and two essays to gauge students' potential for vision, passion, commitment, willingness to take an intellectual risk, self-awareness, curiosity, and creativity. We believe that these traits position our students to dive into meaningful experience their first year and reflect purposefully on that experience.</p>

<p>Prospective students: please note that you must have completed your TAMU admissions application and received a TAMU NetID and password to apply (we hear that this usually takes 2-3 days from the time you submit your application). Your application will not be considered complete until you have also signed a contract for on-campus housing since residence in the Honors Freshman Learning Community is a program requirement the first year. You will not have the option to apply for housing until you have been accepted to the university.</p>

<p>Application deadline is December 1, 2013. We encourage interested students to complete their admission application by November 1, 2013 to allow ample time to receive your NetID and password. You must also have completed the housing application by January 15, 2014 in order to be considered. The housing application does require a deposit, but this is refundable if you choose to cancel by May 1, 2014. For more information about this process, visit Future</a> Residence Hall Student Information. </p>

<p>If you have questions about the application process after reviewing the material linked above, please call 979-845-1957 or email honors AT tamu DOT edu</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek</p>

<p>Does the December 1st deadline apply for Fall 2014 transfer students?</p>

<p>Mr. Kotinek, if the transfer application process opens up on Jan 1st, when is the deadline for transfer students to apply to the Honors College?</p>

<p>Howdy franko5150!</p>

<p>Apologies for the delayed response! I was out of the office last week and missed your original question.</p>

<p>Transfer students have the opportunity to apply to the University Honors Program as continuing students ([Applying</a> for Honors](<a href=“http://honors.tamu.edu/Honors/Applying.html#Transfers]Applying”>http://honors.tamu.edu/Honors/Applying.html#Transfers)).</p>

<p>For a student transferring in for Fall 2014, what this would mean is that they would apply to the program in December 2014 for entry Fall 2015. But–the student can visit with an Honors advisor at their Transfer conference to talk about being flagged eligible to register for an Honors course in their first semester. Every continuing student at Texas A&M with a 3.5+ cumulative GPR is eligible to register for Honors sections whether or not they are in an Honors program.</p>

<p>Decisions about whether or not to flag a transfer student are made on a case-by-case basis. We take into account the student’s course work at their previous institution as well as the Honors course s/he wishes to register for in her/his first semester.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director

<p>Is Honors an option for students applying to TAMU-Galveston?</p>

<p>Ok, let me get this straight, so in other words I can’t actually TRANSFER into TAMU as an Honors Program student, I would have to be there for a semester then apply for it? That’s a major negative for me. I currently have a 3.85 GPA, taking Honors classes, and a member of PTK & Sigma Kappa Delta (down from a 3.92 courtesy of a B in Finite Math) and honestly I don’t have any interest in attending a university if I can’t be in the Honors Program. I would love to be an Aggie, but an Aggie in the Honors Program.
Who would I have to speak to, or what would I have to do in order to to be considered for that on my first semester? TAMU is my #1 choice out of 3 universities I’m applying to. I hope I can speak to someone at TAMU about this when I visit the campus. This is very disappointing.</p>

<p>Forget to add I’d be transferring into the liberal arts dept as a history major, or perhaps if at all possible a double major with political science.</p>

<p>howdy! I am currently a senior in high school applying for the University Honors Program at A&M and I had a few questions.</p>

<p>I was wondering what all will be considered in the admission process. Will you guys be considering my ApplyTexas application and essays in your decision, or will it be based solely off of the honors application and short responses?</p>

<p>Also, I updated my essays on the ApplyTexas application after I was admitted into the school, so I believe there are two different copies of two different essays in my account as of now. If the ApplyTexas application essays are considered, how can I assure that the most current ones will be the ones used for review? Should I upload the updated ones to my AIS account?</p>

<p>Finally, I uploaded an extended resume to my AIS file and was wondering if that would be considered for admission as well.</p>

<p>dory123 - </p>

<p>Yes! There is a very vibrant Honors community at TAMU Galveston. You can find more information and a link to their application at [The</a> Honors Learning Community](<a href=“http://www.tamug.edu/honors/index.html]The”>Galveston Honors Program | Texas A&M University at Galveston - Texas A&M Galveston, TX).</p>

<p>franko5150 -</p>

<p>I am excited to hear that Texas A&M is on your list and we want to help ensure that you are making a decision that is a good fit for you.</p>

<p>There is the possibility of taking Honors courses your first semester as a transfer student at Texas A&M, but you are correct in your understanding that you cannot transfer in and immediately be in the University Honors Program. You can find out more about the difference between being and Honors Student and being Honors-eligible at this link ([University</a> Honors Program](<a href=“http://honors.tamu.edu/Honors/index.html#Options]University”>http://honors.tamu.edu/Honors/index.html#Options)). I’m happy to answer your questions over the phone or during a campus visit. Please do follow up! 979-845-1957.</p>

<p>SARAG5 - </p>

<p>We consider test score and your responses on our application. Changes to your ApplyTexas application essays will not be a problem for us, even test score, since our process should be pulling your highest composite score.</p>

<p>Hope this is helpful!</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director

<p>Mr. Kotinek, I will be giving you call. Thanks for providing me with your phone number.</p>