TAMU Housing

<p>There seem to be a few students (and parents) here who have completed admission files, are auto-admits, and are now waiting for official admissions notifications. I thought they might be interested in discussing housing issues. Its my understanding that you want to put in your deposit ASAP once you're admitted. </p>

<p>It would be great to get some input from those that have been through the housing process. </p>

<p>I have two questions right now regarding my S application:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>He has not decided whether he wants to do the Corps or not. Once he puts in his deposit, would it secure his spot in either Corps or non-Corps housing, or would he have to pick at the time he places his deposit? Is there any strategy here?</p></li>
<li><p>If he does not do Corps, can anyone comment on the Engineering LLC housing?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thx. JR</p>

<p>This is true, you are assigned housing based on the date that you apply/pay housing deposit so the sooner you take care of this the better your chance of getting the dorm of your choice. We applied for housing last year the day we got university acceptance (around Oct. 20) and my son got his 1st choice. Here are a few things to know:</p>

<p>1) You don’t have to accept the admission to apply for housing. Do it and you can always get your deposit back later if you choose not to atten TAMU.</p>

<p>2) If you decide to choose your roommate instead of going potluck, your assignment will be determined by the LATEST housing deposit date. What I mean is that if you apply for housing upon your acceptance in Sept. but you choose to room with someone who is accepted and applies in Jan. you will be placed in housing based on the JAN. date.</p>

<p>3) If you choose a certain dorm now, you can change it later. This does not change your place in line.</p>

<p>4) My son is currently living in the Engineering LLC and he is suitemates with 3 others who are also in PetE. It has been helpful to be living with others who are taking the same classes as he is.</p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Do you happen to know the name of your sons dorm? My son is also looking into PE</p>

<p>Thanks Aggiemom – very helpful! JR</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure that Mosher(sp?) is the current Engineering LLC. You can google it.</p>

<p>Yeah, it’s Mosher. I’m living in it right now. Everyone’s in engineering, and there’s tutoring sessions available almost everyday.</p>

<p>Do you like Mosher? It wasn’t one of my D’s first choices. She was looking at one of the modular dorms because of floorplan. Would you recommend Mosher for a freshman engineering major instead? She’s a girl - sooooo…there tends to be a lot of STUFF. </p>

<p>Also, does anyone know what the chances of getting a private room in Hughes, Fowler, Schumacher or Hart are?</p>

<p>Izelkay,</p>

<p>In your opinion, is it going to be too loud for studying and sleeping at the new Northside Hall because of proximity to Northgate? Those rooms look really nice.</p>

<p>I enjoy living in Mosher, yeah, and I’d definitely recommend it for engineering majors. I haven’t seen any of the other halls so I can’t really compare it with anything else. It’s co-ed, but girls and boys are separated by floors (boys on 1st floor, girls on 2nd floor, boys on 3rd floor, etc.). Each room is connected to another room by a bathroom, so my roommate and I share the shower, toilet, and two sinks with two other people that live next door to us. </p>

<p>There’s two washing machines and two dryers on each floor, so if the ones on my floor are in use, I can easily go up/down stairs to look for open ones. </p>

<p>Internet here is really fast if you use an ethernet cable. There’s wireless too (which not every hall has), but it’s not as fast as the wired connection. Not to say it’s slow; just not as fast.</p>

<p>Here are the rest of the features:
[Residence</a> Hall Living - Mosher Hall](<a href=“http://reslife.tamu.edu/housing/halls/mosher/]Residence”>http://reslife.tamu.edu/housing/halls/mosher/)</p>

<p>Is it mostly engineering students in Mosher? What are some of the advantages? You mentioned tutoring?</p>

<p>I’m not sure about that. I’ll ask one of my friends living there.</p>

<p>Edit: Sorry I keep posting after you post stuff. This was in reply to your question about Northside Hall</p>

<p>Yeah, it’s mostly engineering. There are computer science majors here too. For tutoring, it’s available Monday through Thursday from 6-10pm in Mosher 093, and I believe it’s upper classman that administer it. I haven’t attended a session yet, but I plan to in the near future. I think it’s really convenient, as opposed to going all the way to Blocker or other buildings just to ask a couple of homework questions.</p>

<p>Friend says it’s not loud at Northside Hall.</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Looks like she has some good choices!</p>

<p>@jroback - Your son should sign up for the non-Corps housing he prefers, as the Corps housing is guaranteed. They make their decision during their new student conference which will be happening next summer, so he’ll have plenty of time to decide. Non-Corps dorms will fill up fast in the early part of the spring but there will always be spots in Corps dorms. My son was a really late review admit onto the Blinn Team and easily got a Corps dorm room even after all the other dorms had filled up. It worked out for him as one of his main reasons for going to A&M was to be part of the Corps.</p>

<p>Thanks. Great suggestions. Its really helpful to get the benefit of so much experience …</p>

<p>My son is a freshman in Mosher Hall the Engineering dorm. There is definitely less space in the rooms than in other dorms but beds can be lofted enough to fit a desk and/or storage below it making the rooms more managable. My S feels like the advantages of being in that dorm are well worth it. He has not used the tutoring yet but has said it hasn’t necessary because there is always someone next door or accross the hall who can answer a question. I agree with what Motivate said about core housing. My S requested Mosher early but for some reason someone had the impression that he wanted to be in the core. Early in the summer he got an email telling him to either state that he was not planning to join the core or his housing would be changed to core housing. That was going to be an autiomatic change. He was very happy he caught that email!</p>

<p>It seems like engineering students really find being in Mosher (the engineering LLC) to help with their studying. Are there any engineering majors out there who were accepted into university honors, lived in the honors dorm, and felt that it hurt them in their classes – that it would have been better to be in Mosher?</p>

<p>My S had several friends who lived in Lechner that were engineering majors. It didn’t hurt them at all.</p>

<p>wemel: great to hear. thanks. jr</p>