TAMU Housing

How does temporary housing work at TAMU? I found someone I really want to room with, but they also have temporary status so what will happen?

Maybe all housing on Monday & ask them. I don’t understand the difference between waitlisted and temporary…or there is any difference. My daughter will be inone of the first rounds of dorm selection, but her friend is waitlisted. Housing told us she would not be able to select her as a roommate. They said my daughter should select her room & then when her friend gets off of waitlist she select her room. Once they both have rooms they can try and fill out paperwork to move in together. I’m sure it will all work out.

Wait listed is that they won’t have a room for you yet and you will either wait to be able to select a room, until all of the ones ahead of you have selected, or you wait to be appointed a room, based on the 3 preference choices you made on your housing application. If at the end of the day, you do not get to select a room and are not appointed a room, you are placed in a temporary housing arrangement. Many times, these are private study rooms in dorms/on campus and you live there for a few days to a few weeks until a permanent rooms comes open.

It takes a little time to sort through what is available from those who didn’t show up/made other arrangements and to place students. First week is Howdy week so not much is lost there and the second week on campus is first day of class and not much is missed. Temporary housing happens all of the time and you just go with it. Parents get more tied up in knots over it than the students do.

On your housing preferences, in the past, they would not place you in a higher tiered (cost) room than your preferences listed so make sure to list what you can afford as well as be open to, should it come available if you have to be appointed a spot.

Also, because you signed a contract, you are obligated to pay that rate for the dorm, if you do not cancel the housing contract by May 1, should you change your mind about living on campus and elect to live off campus.