TAMU Mays details?

Hi,

I am a HS senior considering Mays Business School at TAMU College Station to pursue marketing. I had a few questions I am hoping someone who attends/is a parent of an attending student can answer:

1. What are the class sizes in the Mays program?
  2. What are the required classes for business students?
  3. What are the best single room dorms at TAMU
  4. What are the study abroad options?
  5. Any additional details you think would be helpful

Thank you. Sorry if I placed this discussion in the wrong place, I do not use CC very often.

@dreamcloud have you already been accepted?

Google the degree plan for marketing. The first couple of years are pretty similar for all of mays. Class sizes vary and if not in honors, could have 100 plus. Once you enter upper level, they will be smaller like 20-40 ish. Every mays major will take basic business classes in each field including accounting finance mgmt supply chain etc.

Best single dorms are either white creek or hullabaloo. Not sure any other dorms offer single living.

Study abroad… go to the study abroad website and look around. Plenty of options across the globe.

If you’re in the honors college for mays. Your class sizes will be small. And just know that all majors have at least 40
Credits of Tamu required courses such as science history English creative arts etc etc.

So again… are you truly graduating in May or next year? If you haven’t heard back by now for Mays as a senior, you will not get in. It was full in November.

Thank you for your help! I got in during October.

Oh lol. When you said considering, i took it as you’re interested in it not that you already got in. It’s a coveted position. So don’t give it up too easily.

Do you have any stats on the the “employability” of Aggie grads with business related degrees?

My son, who is a high school junior, will apply this summer as a top 10%er and would like to major in finance or related field. Having been on this site with our first son (engineering major, class of 2023), I learned how coveted Mays spots are.

My dilemma is that my husband thinks that business degrees are useless! (We both have business degrees, but from Midwestern State and Tarleton State). Needless to say, neither of us really “needed” these for our professions.

Thanks for any information/insight you could offer on the opportunites to Aggie business grads!!

@cannonmom The question is…would you and your husband have been hired if you did not have those degrees? I believe that when someone gets a degree, it shows a level of grit and determination that employers want in thier employees. The person with a degree was able to understand and master alot of new material in a short amount of time. I’m not saying others w/o a degree dont have these qualities, but a person with a degree definitely (hopefully) does.

@Eggscapgoats I agree with you …it opens doors. My husband is just concerned about paying for a business degree. However, no degree guarantees 100% job opportunity upon graduation!

I saw on the Mays site that statistically 54% were employed upon graduation…not sure how that compares to other majors.

*nvm…that 54% was university grads as a whole…

@cannonmom FWIW…Poultry Science claims 100% job placement :smiley:

Surprised that the university average is only 54% but I don’t know what other schools stats are.

@cannonmom -
Although I can’t quantify the value of a Mays business degree without more extensive research, my off-the-cuff answer is that companies recruit from universities that have a high reputation in the field they are seeking. So this means that a business degree from x university will not hold the same value as a business degree from y university. The university needs to be attractive to recruiters and be well known for having top caliber graduates.

Mays (and A&M in general) will open a lot of doors for students… not only because many companies tend to recruit from it, but also because of the ongoing, extensive Aggie network.

@cannonmom
I just looked up the Mays stats, and it has 86% overall (job or graduate school), with 73% being job employment.
https://mays.tamu.edu/statistics/

Here is also Mays’ rankings amongst national universities.
https://mays.tamu.edu/rankings/

OMG I had the same thought when my son started TAMU in Econ. I was so glad it wasn’t business. HOWEVER, Mays has come a long way and the Aggie Network, Internships, Study abroads for Mays students (not to mention the exclusivity of it-1000 students accepted per freshman class and only 200 per year after that for internal/external candidates) is very valuable. My son is now in mgmt pre law track in Mays and has his minor in econ. I think it’s a solid track and he will find his place after graduation whether it’s law school or in the work force.

What is your sons other choice of major?

@AggieMomhelp thanks! I’m going to forward this response to my husband!

His other option is Engineering…of course, that is going to depend on his ACT/SAT math scores!

He ultimately wants to be a real estate investor…a degree isn’t necessary, but a college degree is a must in general.

@bargainshopper75 That’s the way I feel about it!!!

Now, I hope that I can convince my husband! He is digging in his heels, and it’s driving me insane!

@bargainshopper75 thank you for stats! those sound good to me…

@cannonmom Business is a great way to go for real estate and there’s a Masters in Commerical R/E too!

@cannonmom Attend one of their info sessions. We were underwhelmed by the presentation and the program-- especially since they don’t allow a double major. That said a neighbor’s kid went there and did a fifth year to get a masters in energy trading or something like that and he’s now working in a job at BP that he loves down in Houston.

@Jennibc thanks for the info! We are planning a visit on Feb. 28, so I hope we can get some insight!

Just following up to see what you all decided for next year!