TAMU National Scholar Invitational 2016

Is there a benefit to attending the TAMU National Scholar Invitational in Summer?
If you are a National Merit Finalist, you get the $40K scholarship package for putting TAMU as first choice, so I don;t think attending the invitational has any benefit other than familiarizing students with TAMU life.
My S is in top 10% so he is guaranteed in-state admit.

My daughter attended all of the possible special events for NMF prospective students. I think it gives you a boost to show you are serious about attending when they are handing out the extra scholarships. My daughter ended up getting a lot more than just the NMF package. It couldn’t have hurt. Also, she had a great time and got to spend the night in the Honors dorm. She joined the honors program and lived there freshman year. I highly recommend the honors program!

I have visited A&M before, but I will be attending the National Scholars Invitational this summer. I don’t think it can hurt to spend a night in a dorm, make new friends with similar academic aims/achievements, and potentially even meet a future roommate.