TAMU New Student Conference and Registering for Classes

Pre-conference check-in was a breeze and well organized. Now, we get to sleep in an extra hour tomorrow morning. ? In addition to his student ID card, shirt and NSC materials, he also picked up his sports pass. The social was ok; ice cream, trivia, and Q&A with some current students.

I notice some professors have several CRNs for a particular course at the same time and same location. Anyone know what that means? And the professor will have a “P” by their name which stands for “Primary” ?

Typically those are ones that have a break out meeting time. So look at the days and times. There will be underneath the normal meeting time, another day and time a smaller group will meet.

@CamandCam Sometimes there are stacked sections of a course so that there can be an honors section. It is really just one course at one particular time with one particular professor but they will have the additional section to designate kids taking that class as an honors class. Typically the honors section will be closed and you have to register in the non-honors a then have the professor or advisor move you to honors section. The honors section will obviously do exactly the same things as the non honors section but typically they will have an additional essay or project to do. Not sure if this is what you are seeing though, I am not familiar with the P by a professors name.

@pbleigh, I think what she’s referring to is something like a science: You’ll have a class meeting time then another time for the lab (which will have several options for times all with different CRNs). Or my son is taking a class where they meet 2 days a week and the 3rd day is broken out with a TA. BUT one prof will have multiple CRNS for the same main meeting time and then under each CRN has a different meeting time.

Honors will always be designated differently and at the top of the course offerings. A professor can teach at the honors level and at on level but will totally be listed differently with different times and CRNs.

My son has NSC June 3-5. We do not have final transcripts yet since he just graduated. What type of transcript do we need to bring to NEO, if any?

Thank you for the help.

@troy91 that’s very standard not to have final transcripts in til mid June. The only thing you need proof of is the meningitis vaccine… unless something changed from last year.

Thank you.

@Troy91 We did not have to bring any transcript for my son’s NSC a couple of years ago. The school sent the final high school transcript when they had it ready. If your son has taken AP classes his senior year they will not let you register for classes based on expected AP credit for those. When they get the AP grades sent to TAMU you can contact the advisor he will get at the NSC and they will change his schedule to accommodate any changes if he wants to take the AP credit.

hello! I will be going to the nsc on June 5th and 6th, I know there are holds and I’m still trying to clear them. I have a tuberculosis and meningitis hold, do you think I will be able to clear the hold and register for classes if I submit everything in through the med portal by Monday? please let me know asap !

That is cutting it close @marm0ta and I can’t say that that will be enough time to process and verify. I would do it today, just to give more process time. Why wait until Monday? Are your TB results not available until then? If that is the case, upload the Meningitis now and upload the TB Monday

I am doing my tb testing today bc there were some personal issues that set me back. If I don’t get rid of the holds on time and I am not able to register during my nsc, will i I be able to do it from home after the holds get cleared?

@marm0ta the portal for adding classes will be open for a couple of days, but then closes til August when it will then open for everyone to mix things up. On Howdy, it will show what your time frame is to register under My record then registration.

@AggieMomhelp , please clarify “the portal for adding classes will be open for a couple of days”. Are you saying that students will be able to modify their schedules for a few days after their registration day?

They have in the past. It should tell you the registration period. It’ll show opening at 2:00 on your second day of conference and then there’s a closing time. I think last year we had at least another day.

Okay, thanks. I will check that. I saw the opening time but I didn’t really pay attention to the closing time. Tunnel vision! ?

I submitted my meningitis this morning and just came back from my TB testing, hopefully they get cleared on time! I checked the time for registration and on mine it says it opens at 2:30pm and ends at 6pm of the same day.

Hopefully it will all be good in a few days and this will be a non issue. Crossing fingers.

@marm0ta Maybe they do close the registration times that day, but I could have sworn my son and I played around with the schedule after the conference… maybe it was late that afternoon. It’s sad I can’t remember lol

Our NSC went well. Day 1 involved a lot of info sessions and presentations. On Day 2, he got the MPE done in the morning, then he registered in the afternoon. He was done in less than five minutes and got all the courses he wanted. Prepare some backup schedules and backup courses just in case. Check for any holds. And don’t sweat the final high school transcripts. They’re not needed at this time. If you have prior college work, I think you will need those transcripts if not already submitted. The food was good, too! I hope all goes well for y’all.