TAMU New Student Conference and Registering for Classes

@AggieMomhelp , I checked yesterday, and it was as @marm0ta stated, it opened at 2:30 and closed at 6:00 same day.

@CamandCam With taking the MPE on campus now, I am wondering on the order of the day. If they do the MPE in the morning, do they have the group advising session, followed by lunch and then they go in to register?

I just checked on my holds and the meningitis hold is gone already! I am just stating this in case anybody needs to know how fast the system processes it in the future. I also had the ā€œCheck-in at ISSā€ hold which had to be removed since I am no longer an international student. I called different people from TAMU who all told me different processes I had to do in order to remove the hold which is the reason I got rid of it so late. Hereā€™s how to remove that hold: you need to submit your residency or visa scan through the AIS My Documents and also send a copy to ISS to their email. I did this yesterday afternoon and it has already been removed. I hope this helps someone!

@Thelma2 , the MPE was 9:15-10:45, group advising 11:00-12:15, lunch 12:15-1:30. Then they went to their registration location at 1:30 to meet with advisors for ā€œschedule buildingā€, and then registration opened at 2:30.

I forgot to add that the MPE was preceded by the Deanā€™s presentation from 8:30-9:00 a.m.

@CamandCam and anyone else , how much ā€œpre-workā€ do you recommend we do on scheduling/getting familiar with the portal before we go to NSC? My daughter hasnā€™t really done much although I did print off the 2019 Engineering flow chart for her to try to figure out what credits she will have.

Will my daughter be able to sign up for her math at NSC? She just sent the transcript request for the local community college for Calculus 2. I doubt it will be there by Tuesdayā€™s conference. She knows she will still take the MPE but an adviser assured her that the course will transfer and she can proceed to her next math class. Iā€™m wondering if she will be able to sign up for that class on Wednesday or will have to wait till Howdy week?

Bring an unofficial transcript. She can work with advisor directly and get it taken care of assuming she does well on MPE.

And yes I would prepare a bit with the system. It just takes some pressure off having some familiarity with the system.

@TXRunningMom has your daughter watched the orientation video? Seems like it forces the kids to become very familiar with howdy if they arenā€™t already. Everyone also says to practice building a schedule.

Thanks @AggieMomhelp and @Eggscapgoats ! I like to be over prepared so we will dig in today or tomorrow to make sure she isnā€™t clueless. Iā€™m getting excited! I feel like Iā€™m going back to college! But glad Iā€™m not doing the work! Haha

@TXRunningMom , I would definitely recommend getting familiar with the schedule system in Howdy. We prepared a few complete separate schedules plus several backup electives. Yes, Iā€™m obsessive compulsive! ?. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Make sure to document the course reference numbers (CRN) numbers, course numbers and section numbers. Using the CRN numbers makes building the schedule faster. Print out the schedules and course lists to take into registration. Aggiescheduler.com was a very helpful tool for building schedules. Check your desired courses as your NSC and registration day approaches to make sure they havenā€™t filled during previous registration windows. Plus, I think they continually open up new sections as the NSCs progress. Review posts # 77, 83, 84, 92 regarding UCC electives, ICD and CD (cultural discourse, itā€™s a new term for this year). I know we over prepared, especially considering we were in the first NSC, but I had heard stories of kids having complete meltdowns during registration. Also, if an honors student, check the ā€œstudent informationā€ in My Profile to make sure you have the honors cohort attribute listed, or they wonā€™t be able to enroll in honors sections. If itā€™s not there, contact Engineering Honors or University Honors ASAP.

Thanks @CamandCam ! Thanks for the heads up to look for the Honors distinction and for the directions to how to check that! There is so much to this portal. I get so lost in it. Do you know if we can access their Dual Credit and AP credits on the Portal? I see a number but I donā€™t know if that includes her senior year credits. I know it might not be showing up yet though.

@TXRunningMom are you on Facebook? There are several really great Aggie Parent FB pages you need to join, if you havenā€™t already. You can ask all sorts of questions, and someone will have the answer!
Everything Iā€™ve read says parents shouldnā€™t be checking/logging on to Howdy, unless it is the parent Howdy youā€™ve been granted permission to join. And definitely donā€™t accept any AP/dual credit! You need to wait until NSC, and let an Advisor guide you.

@TXRunningMom , I agree. The portal is overwhelming! Iā€™m not sure about the dual credit and AP question. But as @52AG82 said, donā€™t accept any until NSC.

@TXRunningMom The AP test results can be seen by going to my record I think and then credit by examination. Your daughter wonā€™t be able to accept any of the AP credits until she is at NSC.

Can we talk about the MPE in this forum? Iā€™m freaking over my practice results. I just assumed, having done well in all my math coarse, Iā€™d just do the review a few days before my MPE. The practice test was very difficult, and I didnā€™t score near the required 22 to get into Math 151. I canā€™t find a study guide anywhere, so the panics beginning to set in. My NSC is the next two days.

Along with the above post ā†’ Does anyone know if the actual test is easier than the practice? @Thelma2

@JhaveyJ there are practice tests-my daughter did it on Friday. Some say the real test is slightly easier than Practice, but Iā€™d hone up on the Practice tests, to be safe.

My son found the real test to be quite a bit easier than the practice. He said it was a lot shorter so he had plenty of time which he felt he didnā€™t on the practice. This was 2 years ago.

My son tells me the problems were similar to the 40 practice problems that are available for study. What made it easier was that he had practiced most objectives before the real thing and that is was multiple choice. The general practice that can be printed out at any time is 40 questions while the two practice tests and the real thing are each 33 questions.

My son thoroughly practiced the 40 questions as well as an additional set of related 40 questions that I created by analyzing the 40 that were available. I can tell you that many of the practice problems include an understanding of factoring as on piece of the skills needed. Factoring practice can be found with a basic online search. The 40 questions do not completely represent everything that can be asked as I know my son had, and answered correctly, at least one type of question that was no where to be found on the review.