TAMU New Student Conference and Registering for Classes

Does anyone know about the Professional School Advising session ( PSA ) at NSC? My student has quite a few questions about attending nursing school. Will he be able to ask his questions there or should he make an appointment for private advising?

We just got through with my sonā€™s NSC and I thought I would share some of our experiences. First our son is a Blinn Engineering Academy at Bryan student. The whole thing runs very smoothly and the only real frustration that we had was figuring out where we were supposed to go on Day 2 because there was confusion on the Blinn Team and TEAB thing. I was very worried for my son on the MPE because even though he took the paper quiz and 2 of the online MPEā€™s, he made a 20 twice on the online tests. He made a 30 when he took it at NSC. He said that the multiple choice helped although nearly every question has a ā€œThe answer is not aboveā€ choice. If your son/daughter does not make a 22 on the MPE, for TEAB, you can still register for the Calculus track that day if you sign up for summer Pre Cal at Blinn (in person or online class). Any other option means signing up for the Pre Cal track and then changing to the Cal track later once you retake the MPE or submit a transcript from another college completing Pre Cal. A decent option in my opinion. Of note, the Dean said about 30% fail the MPE and then he came back later in the day and said this cohort was about 24% failure rate. He attributed it to how academically competitive this class was.

Going into the advising, it was pretty straight forward, but doing some homework on what your son/daughter wants to take will be key. TEAB lets the student pick a MWF track or a TR track. That track not only defines the Blinn classes, it also defines the ENGR 102 class at A&M. They specifically want the track to not be modified so if there is a conflict with another TAMU class, that class needs to be changed. So, the only classes left to pick are the ENGL 104 and/or UCC classes. As @Thelma2 and others have stated, class spots were added around 1-1:30pm before the 2:30pm registration begins. (So you will be scrambling at lunch with professor research). TEAB students register for Blinn classes before 2:30. Do research the professors teaching the classes that your son/daughter are interested as once registration opens, they get nabbed quickly. The 8 seats that were opened up in my sonā€™s POLS 207 class were taken in about 5 minutes. He was a good professor and others had done research also.

The message of the whole NSC (especially for engineering) is that A&M is hard and your child very well may have a bump in the transition. Lots of discussion for parents on how to handle that, which I think is normal at most college NSCs. Also donā€™t forget your umbrella. It rains in College Station.

Where in the world are the online practice tests for the MPE1 (Engineering major) located? I followed Howdy, Applicant, and then saw Math Placement Exam, but it led me to MPE4. Can anyone direct me to the right place? Have to take it next Wednesday! Thanks

@cannonmom , I had the same question. I emailed mathassessment@math.tamu.edu. I received this answer: ā€œYes, he is supposed to take MPE4. MPE4 stands for proctored MPE1.ā€

@aghopeful420 , sorry Iā€™m late in seeing your question. When is your NSC? We attended that Professional school advising and it was mostly on vet and law school prep, nothing on nursing. I suppose you could hang out and ask the lady afterwards though. I would ask someone in the nursing program to get your questions answered!

Thank you for your response. I was thinking he should talk to someone specifically in nursing too. A separate meeting would also ensure all of his questions get answered without feeling rushed.

FYI. I just noticed that they updated the Core Curriculum table at core.tamu.edu for Fall 2019, and the table now includes columns for both the ICD and CD courses.

@CamandCam Thank you!

If you use an AP credit for a core credit can it also apply as a cultural discourse credit if they overlap?

@CamandCam Thank you for the core curriculum link for 2019! Super curious about ENGL 104ā€¦ it has a ā€œYESā€ in the CD column- this is the first time I am seeing this. Anyone have more info. on this and if AP credit for ENGL 104 would also get you the CD credit?

@agtrio23 In the NSC engineering advising meeting before the kids picked their schedules, it was not mentioned that English 104 also counted for CD. That would be great if it did though!!

@Eggscapgoats this CD credit has me stumped! My boys have already earned quite a few of their core credits, so we were planning on adding a class just for CDā€¦ if ENGL 104 earns CD credit, it would be great! We were at NSC last week and there was not much mention of CD in our sessions.

@momosmom , @agtrio23 , use the link that @Eggscapgoats provided in post #83. See Note 3 on that page. It states the ICD and CD requirements ā€œmay be met by courses satisfying the creative arts, social and behavioral sciences and American history requirements if they are also on the approved list of international and cultural diversity courses and cultural discourse courses.ā€. Since ENGL 104 is classified as Communication instead of creative arts, social and behavioral sciences and American history, it wouldnā€™t seem to work for the CD requirement. But, it would be worth clarifying with an advisor. And the CD requirement is new for this year. During our NSC, the advisors werenā€™t familiar with the CD requirement either. They were still working off the old 2018 information which had not been updated yet for 2019, which was a little frustrating. They were caught off guard by it. I was surprised, and a little disappointed, that the advisors at our NSC did not have the latest information.

@agtrio23 Yes, as @CamandCam mentioned, ENGL104 is not on the university wide CD list. But maybe the list below is wrong? My understanding is that students can satisfy ICD and CD by taking any approved ICD/CD class but sometimes the engineering student can ā€œkill two birds with one stoneā€ by taking, for example, a creative arts class that is also CD. He is taking engl104 now also

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/general-information/degree-information/cultural-discourse-requirements/

@agtrio23 @CamandCam FWIW, the engineering advisors were very knowledgeable about CD when we went this past week, so they must have been educated re the whole CD thing recently. I thought they did a great job of explaining how AP credits and dual-credit could be used toward UCC, ICD and CD. They appeared to cover almost every scenario possible in regards to what a high schooler may have taken and how it might transfer to Tamu

Iā€™m curious if anyone who went to the nsc this summer for engineering heard anything about ETAM statistics. They havenā€™t published them for a couple of years now and it would be very interesting to hear what they had to say about the percentages qualifying for ETAM and getting their 1st choice. And were there majors that required the 3.5 to get into them?

@rosegeo , at our NSC, they said 77% qualified for first choice, and 87% got their first or second choice. There is also a thread titled ā€œTAMU ETAM statisticsā€ that has a lot of good information.