TAMU School of Public Health

Hi, my daughter is applying to the School of Public Health over the next week. We are waiting on her SAT scores to be released this Friday. She has a 3.95 GPA, and is in the top 30% of her class. She has taken many extra health science classes, a few AP / PreAP classes and went to an intensive Medical School camp at UT Austin. If she doesn’t make the 1360 on the SAT will that hurt her chances of being accepted to this program? I know people are saying its a little different for this new degree, but what have you heard? Thanks y’all!

@Mooseismydog is she applying to the College Station campus or directly to the new Health Science Center in McAllen?
For any review applicant, the higher the SAT/ACT can improve the chances of admission. Besides full admissions offers, Blinn Team as well as admissions offers to the new HSC campus in McAllen are possible. This was a new admissions offer as of last year for applicants who applied to the College Station campus but then were offered McAllen. Keep in mind that that could be a possibility.

Being out of the top quarter of her graduating class is not ideal but it is not impossible. Admissions will not use her GPA or the competitiveness of her school. If she had a hardship of some type that she over came that contributed to her lower ranking, that would be something she could write about in her essay.

The applicants from last year who posted their stats and admissions decision, those who were between 28%-30% of their class who received some type of admissios offer (full, blinn team, gateway or McAllen) had an SAT score in the 1300s. However, The bulk of those in the second quarter of their class received PSA (Pathway for System Admissions).

The College Station campus received over 17K review applications for Fall 2017 with only 13% of those receiving offers of admission.

All that said, if she applies directly to the McAllen campus, I think her chances of acceptance would be likely. This is just my opinion, as it is a newly opened campus.

Be sure to apply to other universities as well so that she has some back ups to chose from.