TAMU Summer/Fall 2016 Transfer page

Transfering as General Studies then switch to Mays is no longer an option. Anyone who transfers in CAN’T apply to Mays after applying to transfer and starting in another major. They have officially closed the loophole. So, if you want Mays, you have to get directly into Mays. For those entering in 2016 the minimum GPA for internal transfers will be going up to 3.5 per their website- it is 3.3 now.

If I can view my transfer audit does that mean anything? I think I’ve read somewhere that means they will be making a decision soon?

@drycleaner13 Yes, it means they will make a decision soon. If your first choice major is the only major showing in howdy it means you’re practically in review. I would say probably around a week or two until decisions start rolling out.

Hi, I am student from HCC (Houston).
I would like to know what would be a competitive GPA to transfer to Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M.
I have a GPA of 3.75 with 52 completed credit hours.

got C in College Algebra ^^
Trigonometry - A
Precalculus - A
Calculus 1 - A
Calculus 2 - A
University Physics 1- A
University Physics 2 - A
Chemistry 1 - B
Chemistry 2 - A
English 1 - B
English 2 - A
History 1 - A
and some other electives where I got A’s.

If you are transferring to TAMU in engineering, would you please also share your stats?

Thank you!

bump

@aggiengineering Though I’m not transferring into the engineering school, based off your GPA and classes you should be a pretty solid candidate. I think you’re the first engineer on the transfer page so welcome! I’m sure more will join soon.

@ssppiikkeerr Why aggieengineering is a solid candidate??? If you do not know Dwight Look, please do not post anything about it. Last year, only 12 transfer students admitted to ME. Although my friend got all A in recommended courses, good LORs, great essays, activities… expect a B in History, he could not get in.

@aggiengineering I think you should change your 1st major to EE. Base on your GPA and a C in College Algebra, your chance is very low. ME and PE are hardest majors to get in. The oil market is experiencing the largest price decline since 2008, so people will go with ME. It will make ME more competitive than ever.

Thank you.
No way I am changing to EE as my 1st major. I did not enjoy electricity so much in University Physics 2.
I put Aerospace as my second Major and if I get accepted, I’ll try to transfer to MEE inside.

@ptkill Did your friend transfer on Spring or Fall?

@aggiengineering You’re welcome. My friend transfered on Fall 2015. If you do not like EE, you can change the 1st major to Aero. Admission as a second-choice is often more competitive. Why you have to take the risk?

I just want to help you make a better decision. A few guys in College Confidential are really ridiculous. They post questions to ask people about their chance, but they answer the same questions for other students. What the hell??? They do not know their chance, but they like to judge others.

You do not have to believe me. The best way is that asking TAMU admission office about your chance. Base on their experience, they will give you the most reliable answer.

@ptklll I take that risk because my whole essay is based on getting a Bachelor in MEE and and I already submitted it.
It would be kind of weird If I suddenly change for a Major non-related to my essay topic.

Hi guys, i am also applying to dwight look college of engineering. actually i didn’t complete the application yet, but i am making final changes in my essay, and i am going to apply by tomorrow. my first choice major is Aero and i don’t have any second major in my mind. the problem now is my GPA, i have 3.1 and by the end of February i think it will go up to 3.25 : 3.3 because i am currently taking two classes in a short session semester before the spring, and i have all the required courses. i know that my gpa is not competitive, but my hope that the aerospace department is not like MEE or PET. from the previous threads i see that they accepted 3.3. i am also think they are going to ask me to submit the spring grades. so, now what do you think about my chances to get in AERO, and what should i do with the second choice major? Thanks guys

@adam666 Not sure if you are competitive or not but you might get in.
If you compare the different course sheets:

http://admissions.tamu.edu/pdfs-transfer2015/ENG-aerospace.aspx
http://admissions.tamu.edu/pdfs-transfer2015/ENG-mechanical.aspx

I saw on other threads that many people get rejected from Mechanical engineering and end up in Aerospace engineering (2nd choice).

Aero is definitively not as competitive as mechanical or PETE, but still competitive.
If you really want to go for Aerospace engineering at Texas A&M and if you don’t get accepted into it, you can still chose as a second choice like EE, civil, nuclear, industrial then try to transfer internally.

From a previous threads I saw that Nuclear is the easiest one get in. I don’t know if it is true or not though. lol

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1418467-fall-2013-transfer-thread-p10.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1760688-acceptance-to-engineering-departments-from-general-engineering-p4.html

@ptklll I said I believe he is a solid applicant because three kids from my CC got in last semester with a 3.5-3.8 transfer gpa. One in particular had the same major. Also TAMU’s gpa requirements on average are about .3 off of UTs. UT’s average Engineering gpa is about a 3.8. Look at past transfer pages too, a lot get in with 3.5+. In all honesty though, TAMU can do whatever they want, they could accept someone with a 4.0 or a 3.3. All we do here is speculate off of past statistics that probably don’t really matter when it comes down to it.

aggiengineering i know that it’s impossible to get in MEE, but what do you think is more competitive EE or AERO?

I would believe that AERO is harder to get in.
On TAMU website, the percentage of admitted students for EE is higher. Also the fact that the electrical engineering department is a lot bigger, I would believe they would have a lot of spots available. Aero has an enrollment of nearly 500 undergraduates while EE has an enrollment of 1,100 undergraduate students.

But I’m not absolutely sure

I also noticed that my second choice doesn’t show when I click on select report…
Does it mean that they won’t consider me for Aerospace engineering?

i don’t think that, because if they won’t consider you for Aero, that’s mean they also won’t consider you for MEE, so i think you are in review for your first choice major, and if they won’t accept you, your application should review by your second choice major. i think you have to wait. Lol. since i am applying today, i don’t think that i am going to hear anything before April. :((

@aggiengineering No, It means you’re currently in review for your first choice major. After they review your first choice you’ll either get accepted or go into review for your second choice major. Reviews for first choice should come in within the next few weeks.

@Adam666 You should hear back in march if you applied today. Typically put it about a month and a half away from the day you apply.

Hi y’all.

Applying as a first choice ME major, second choice EE to Dwight Look.

Austin Community College
Hours: 20 (will have 35 hours total after spring semester)
GPA: 3.6
-Some college ECs such as robotics competition, society of physics students, phi theta kappa
-No letters of recommendation
-Solid essay

I should be sending my application out tomorrow. A little late. Honestly, I’ve just been putting it off until a few days ago. Is anyone just applying for transfer to A&M? I was thinking that if I don’t receive acceptance (given that ME is a highly competitive major to transfer into) maybe I’ll transfer to Blinn and reapply the following semester.