TAMU Transfer Fall 2020

Hi everyone,

I decided to create this forum for those of us who are planning ahead for next year.

I am applying to A&M with my first choice major being Psychology B.S. and my second choice major being Psychology B.A. I am currently working in a lab at a medical school in the field of Neuroscience, but my interests also lie in the field of psychiatry and mood disorders. I have also done Psychology research at a top school (ranked #4 in the world) in the topic of child cognition my first year. I am taking all of the necessary courses to transfer this semester at a local community college. (I originally went to another school for my first two years of college where I did not do well so I decided to come back home.) My GPA is a 3.2, but if I make an A in one of the math classes I am currently taking I will be at a 3.5. For letters of recommendation, I have the psychology department chair of my previous school (ranked in the top 20 universities in the U.S.) and the head of the lab of my current research job willing to write me letters of recommendation. I also was secretary and elected president of an organization that I was a member of, and have volunteered at multiple organizations (children’s hospitals, habitat for humanity, multicultural events, etc) these past few years. I decided with the psychology major since TAMU does not have a Neuroscience major and I am more interested in the cognitive side of the field. I am looking into possibly doing the Neuroscience minor if admitted. I know my grades are not strong, which is why I am concerned. What would you say are my chances? What would you recommend I do to strengthen my chances? Thank you for taking the time to read this and good luck to everyone!

@freddiehg88 You should have no trouble getting in for the Fall with those stats (get that A in Math). Your ECs are great to. My only hesitation is on your first and second choice. If you get denied by BS you’ll most likely get denied by BA since same department, just one is more language requirement than the BS. May want to change that to fit your degree wants… Have you looked at forensic science as maybe your 2nd choice major?

Hi AggieMomHelp, thank you so much! I ended up getting straight A’s in my four classes this semester and am officially in Phi Theta Kappa. I ended up choosing Statistics as my second major. Would we be able to private message? I have some specific questions regarding my GPA and classes that I will be taking next semester. My GPA at the community college that I am currently attending is a 3.78, but my GPA at my previous college is below a 3.0.

@freddiehg88 I messaged you.

Once transfer application is completed in ApplyTexas, my daughter will be put in review until her spring transcript is received. Can she change her major in the Howdy portal until the end of the semester or is it locked in with the application?

Hi my transfer application has already been reviewed and I’m currently waiting for the spring semester to end so that I can resend my transcripts in for the Fall 2020. I’m wondering what my chances are of getting in after that second review following the end of the Spring semester. I applied for the Allied Health program as my first choice and then Nutrition as my second choice. I’m currently at a community college down in San Antonio and since being home my gpa did not do as well as I had hoped since I had taken the science courses and math courses needed to be looked at for a transfer. Currently, I have a 3.25 and I am still in the process of taking my chemistry class (which I should get an A in) so that should push me up a little higher in regards to my gpa. @AggieMomhelp would we be able to message privately so that I can ask you some questions as well regarding my specific situation ?

My daughter is transferring Allied health, how did that workout for you?