TAMU Transfers - Fall 2023

@Eggscapgoats i probably worded it wrong. Student would need to spend a semester in Gen Studies, if they started out Cons Sci and wanted to try to change majors to Engineering.

I know most about Mays. The only way to double major within Mays is for student to be in Business Honors. Every college does it differently.

1 Like

Ok yea I mean I’m really down to take a dual major w engineering im willing to put in the extra work. I’m just worried I can’t because I’m a transfer student basically a junior. I do know that my gpa restarts when I enter Tamu so I have a fresh start to have a high gpa. But I heard that if I wanted to take sum of the Eng required courses to qualify for the major it will restrict it bec it’s not part of my degree plan

You wont be able to take eng 102, etc until you are in eng, whether you are adding it as a second degree or switching to it. In the spring, have a conversation with your const sci advisor and a pete eng advisor, being open about what you want to do. If both agree in princible, you will then take the eng prereqs above (minus the ones you already have), do well in them, and should be let into pete eng. This is how it worked for my son and he kept the lines of communication open with the advisors to get making sure he was on task.

I think its a great combo btw - const sci and petroluem - both important on a rig

ok great. that information helps alot. but I dont have to switch to genral studies right? I talked to an TAPS advisor on friday and she said I would have to stay a semster in co sci before I switched to general studies and then switch to eng but i think thats only to switch majors. to do 2 degrees I dont have to switch to general studies just talk to both advisor?

Thats interesting about mays honor being allowed to double major. I thought no one is allowed to double major or dual degree w/mays, hence programs like stem to stocks for engineers wanting more than a business minor. Or getting an mba. Yes, every dept is different, hence the importance of talking to both departments. At first my son wanted to double major in wildlife and fisheries but they did not allow double majors - go figure! Glad he ended up in eng

1 Like

@Eggscapgoats Business Honors is an actual major, not just a program. The majority of BH students double major-BHNR and Acct/Finance/Supply Chain/ISTM/MGMT-but a very small % of BH students only major in BHNR.

It is crazy how every college does things slightly differently.

1 Like

After getting the approval of both colleges, my son kept taking classes for his first degree and the pre reqs for eng (calc,chem,phys, not eng102). Once the eng pre reqs were complete (and his gpa was greater than the min) eng let him in and now he is working on both. He didnt go into general studies since he is going for a dual degree, not a transfer. It is confusing, and not typical, but hopefully you will find some good advisors. Showing a genuine interest in both degrees will go a long way!

Wishing you all the best!

1 Like

ok great. one more question while your son was taking the pre reqs for eng while taking his normal classes for his first major. it didnt restrict him for signing up for the pre reqs as its not part of the degree plan?

No, he didnt have any restrictions registering for those pre reqs. The degree plan is just a plan - rarely does one follow the plan made freshman year. And those eng pre reqs can be taken by anyone - anyone can take phy 206 but only engineers can eng216 (the lab for phy206).

You might be more restricted as a transfer, I am not sure

ok yea imma probably wait until my NSC. i already have the english credit. and if i do end up doing the pre reqs im planning to do 2 in the spring and 2 in the summer

1 Like

Great! Please let us know how it turns out!

1 Like

@Mal_2002 One more thing, my son had to take the math placement exam (MPE4 I believe) before he could sign up for math151. Seems like he was able to take the test just by signing up for it since he was a current student and it didnt matter that he wasnt an engineering student.

Just giving you a heads up so you can prepare in case you are given the opportunity to take the exam at a moments notice. It tests precalc and everything before and there are practice tests online.

oh shoot ok. im currently in pre cal class in my current unvirsity. does that qualify me to take math 151?

If it is equivalent to tamu math 150, you should be ok to take math 151. you can check here

https://howdy.tamu.edu/uPortal/p/tce-ui.ctf1/max/render.uP

1 Like