TAMU Transfers - Fall 2023

Can anyone share GPA’s of accepted transfers into Tech Mgmt? My son got denied with a 3.2, but wants to try again next semester. He will likely finish this semester with three As and a B, so estimating a 3.4 and 52 hours completed at end of semester. Trying to decide if he should try again or take transfer acceptance at another school. He really wants A&M, but one D is hurting his GPA. He re-took that class and got an A, if it helps.

How many hours did he complete before the application and how many are in progress, and did he follow all of the course requirements on the transfer course sheet? Also, I would check his audit to make sure everything is reported correctly, but unfortunately, all classes are factored into your GPA at A&M regardless if you retook it or not. If the D that he earned is in one of the required courses for TCMG, that probably played a large role in the outcome of the application. I applied for TCMG with a 3.71 with half of the required courses in progress. I got my audit on Monday and then got a “transfer deny” request for spring grades.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Will do.

Per his audit, he had 40 transferable credits at the time, with 12 addl in progress. All required classes on transfer sheet complete except Physics in progress, tracking for a B in that one. The prior D was the required Math 1325, which he retook for an A. Just didn’t apply himself first time around, hard lesson learned. Thanks for any feedback!

1 Like

I just received my TA. My total transferable credits is 74 and my GPA is 3.84. I’m really bummed about my GPA. I got an incomplete in one of my classes because I left when my dad passed, and I was never able to finish it. That dropped me from having a 4.0. Not too sure if I’ll get accepted or not.

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your dad. That’s so rough. I’m sure the incomplete will not hold you back. Great GPA. What major within A&S?

1 Like

Thank you. Yeah…it messed me up a bit. I was able to come back and finish my other courses with As, but that one just lapsed too long. I did end up retaking the course and getting an A, but I see where TAMU factors in repeated courses. :sob:

I am applying to transfer in as an English major.

2 Likes

Unless there’s a max number of credits, you should be good!!!

2 Likes

Thank you; I hope so. I will let you all know one way or the other as soon as I know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, please do. Hang in there.

1 Like

Hello Christi, why is there different spring grade request letters? Some people recieve “Transfer deny, spring grades requested”, or some that say automatic deny for not meeting the criteria.

1 Like

This is my reasoning for it, and no actual knowledge just past perception. Most majors require specific coursework to be completed before application. Tamu requires 24 graded credits and prefers 2 semesters in college. If you’re close to meeting criteria with fall grades (assuming only one semester completed) then they deny more for lack of schooling. If you have a lot of dual credit as a freshman, they may want to review you again after spring grades since you’re further along in school on credits.

If you’ve completed a year or more before applying and they are unsure of trends of grades or if you have required course in progress, they’ll deny til spring grades.

They’ll deny straight out if you don’t have required hours/courses/minimum major gpa in most cases. GPA minimum will most likely get you denied straight away. But if you gpa and are just lacking hours or course, they could deny til spring grades.

I know that’s clear as mud probably. :joy:

TCMG- Does anyone know what the max number of credits are allowed to transfer into TCMG? We’re not seeing that on the transfer sheet.

Hi Christi - my daughter received her audit and was surprised to see she is 2 hours over the max (with current classes in progress). There were a couple of classes that she did not think would transfer from Tx Tech, but apparently, they did. She had met with an advisor in the Houston office back in early December, and he said everything looked great and in order. We are concerned now, after reading your comment. She emailed an admissions counselor; she did so immediately after receiving the audit. She also spoke with someone the day of the transfer admission A&M visit day back in February who told her she should be ok. Wondering what your thoughts are? If she should make an appointment with someone in Cstat? Hoping no news is good news at this point.

Also - though she has emailed to ask if there is something she can do, she has not received any response. Thinking there is something she can do if the hours she is currently taking are included.

How many hours does she have and for what major?

Within each major, there are courses that have to be taken in residence (at Tamu and Tamu only). There is a possibility they could still accept her especially if she hasn’t taken those required courses (or they could have her retake them or they could waive it). It used to be up to the department but now that aO is in charge of transfers, I’m not sure how strict or lenient they’ll be.

I wouldn’t stress too much. And did you say max credit will be met after this semester or were met at time of application? If they’re being met with classes in progress, that will not negatively impact her!

1 Like

Sorry I replied without reading this post. What does her degree audit say exactly… credits and gpa?

Telecommunication Media Studies, 77 hours, 3.05 GPA (she did fail a class, had some health issues as a Type 1 diabetic and then dealt with horrible bout of depression, back on track, which she did mention in the essay).

For some reason it cut off my gratitude! Thank you for responding and sharing your thoughts.

We are hoping for the best, as this will be her last attempt.

1 Like

So the fact they didn’t deny her straight out is good because she was over at time of application. They’re looking to see how many courses she still needs to graduate from Tamu. I’m sure there’s a minimum. You can’t order aggie ring until you have 45 Tamu hours completed, for instance. Do you know how many hours she has left on this degree plan? I’m sure it’s right about that. Also, her gpa is above minimum to apply, but not by much. They’ll want to see that go up this semester. Her essay was probably very solid and told her true story of what she medically and mentally has to deal with.

Bottom line, I do feel they are wanting to admit her tell her to finish strong. And please let us know!

1 Like