TAMU vs Baylor

Hi! I am currently a rising senior and between TAMU and Baylor. I want to major in Computer Science of MIS and when you hear computer science TAMU seems like a obvious choice but the engineering school is so difficult to get into I was planning on applying as an MIS major to TAMU. I have also heard that the engineering school at Baylor is not so great.
At Baylor, I’m also really concerned with the religious situation. I’m not a very religious person and don’t really like the idea of being forced to go to chapel my freshman year. I’m also concerned about Baylor’s dry campus rule. I’m not a crazy partier or drinker but mistakes happen and I don’t want to be in huge trouble when it seems like partying and drinking are part of a college experience. I also don’t want to have to worry about coming back to campus after a night out. I have searched high and low for information about Baylor’s dorms and their isn’t a whole lot. It seems like if I do go there I should live in collins because I want to rush but I’m very worried about the tiny rooms and community bathrooms but I also don’t want to be an outsider going into rush if I live somewhere else and I honestly don’t know where else I could live. I’m not very excited about living somewhere with a focus about my major or an interest and none of the topics sound very interesting to me. With Baylor, I’m very concerned about potentially sabotaging myself because the engineering school isn’t as great. I’m very worried about not being able to get a job after graduating.
At TAMU, I am already very worried about getting in among other things. My main worry is the student body size and campus size. When I visited TAMU I was very intimidated and overwhelmed. The campus is huge and I don’t understand how the students don’t feel swallowed alive. The academics are also very challenging at TAMU so I’m very worried about not being able to keep up. College Station is also bursting at the seams and my home town is currently going through the same thing so I would like to escape that situation. I also couldn’t figure out what dorm was like the collins of TAMU. On the residential hall tour I thought Hullaballoo or the modulars would be the best fit for me but couldn’t figure out where I would be able to make the most friends. I can’t find much information about the Greek life at TAMU so anything would be good to know. I also can’t find much information about the party scene either. I know being apart of the aggie community would have life long benefits but I’m not sure if the stress of the academics and huge campus would be worth it.

MIS major here is in Mays Business School, also very competitive to get into for non-automatic admits. Based on your previous post, I’d predict that you would most likely be going the Blinn Team route vs. direct admit to Mays. Although the campus is huge, there are many clubs & groups that you can join that make it feel much more intimate. Once full time into your major (junior year) you will spend most of your time in your college area, Mays is nicknamed Wehner High for that reason (it is located in the Wehner building on campus). Although one of my kids was offered a huge scholarship at Baylor, we never really looked into it. Mostly because one of her criteria was national name recognition of the college, and Baylor isn’t in the same league as TAMU from an out of state perspective. As far as rush goes, there are greeks living all over campus - mine were both Greek, one lived in modulars the other in the commons. For the girls in particular, they tend to carpool over to sorority row. There is also a bus service that drops off at sorority row (it is off campus). For the guys, the fraternities are all over the place - many do not have houses - so they also organize car pools.

@confusedtx my daughter is considering both schools as well and we have the same concerns about Baylor. Have you gained any insight from other sources?

@confusedtx Also apply to UT Arlington (great engineering school) and they have an involved and active greek life. It is not a big 12 school, but they are active. UTA has really grown in the last 10 years and is less of a commuter school (though there are many Arlington residents who attend there after high school). They do have a big enrollment but the campus is not spread out and lots to do in town or nearby. Also, UT Dallas and UT Tyler might be options for you. You could apply to Tech as well. It is not as respected at UTA, UTD or A&M.

@Thelma2 thanks for your input! I recently read that UTA is a good engineering school. Do you think in terms of reputation and job placement, it can stand up to A&M?

UT Arlington is a very good school. Lockheed Martin just invested a lot of money in a career development center there. Lockheed Martin is in neighboring Fort Worth. https://www.uta.edu/news/releases/2017/03/Lockheed-Martin-Career-Development-Center.php

Lockheed has partnered with the Arlington Independent School District as well as UTA through a new STEM academy program and the high school kids can earn up to 32 hours for UTA by graduation. There has also been a program for students who were already in high school to apply as Jr’s and obtain an internship at Lockheed during their senior year and full time every summer while they are in an engineering major in college.

Lots going on at UTA and the engineering department. I would definitely check it out.