Tape Measure Madness in Ridgecrest South

<p>pretty sure the door is wider than 20 inches!</p>

<p>tjmom: My D had an over the door hanging contraption. The "over the door part " had plastic that was so thick that the door made a loud click noise when it scraped the header. She had to stop using it for fear of messing up the header. So you can definitely check that at move in.</p>

<p>Just throwing this out there but I believe a standard doorway is at least 32" wide with an 80" height</p>

<p>Class2012mom,
In the dorm photo you posted: 2 questions

1. What is the printer sitting on?
  2. Is that a night table your DS has behind his bed?
  3. Does your DS suggest a desktop or laptop for the dorm?</p>

<p>NYBama, I have a picture of the desk area at home I can post tonight. </p>

<p>As far as the computer, my son would advise that your son needs a laptop AND a monstrous gaming computer of which NRDMOM’s son will assemble for him (right in the dorm!) after months of cryptic emails debating the merits of each and every part right down to the thermal paste. You will get less expensive and less frustrating advice from someone else.</p>

<p>Behind the bed is a small shelf that has a metal bracket which clips on to the bed railing. Son has his iHome alarm clock on it (charges his iPod). We bought that shelf a few years back for our older son from IKEA. Not sure if they still carry it. Container Store had a similar plastic model last summer.</p>

<p>Class2012mom,
Thank you. We have the same clock. I am just wondering if the laptop is too small a screen for use in the dorm. Yes DS is already planning on bringing his PS3 for “down days”. That other pic would be great, trying to just size everything up.</p>

<p>Class2012: As I recall, NRDSON was exceedingly patient with your seeming inability to follow the simplest of detailed instructions. </p>

<p>NYBama: NRDSON swears both are necessary for different reasons. CBH and gaming are somehow better accomplished with the massive power of his desktop, his laptop good enough for everything else.</p>

<p>This gaming discussion sounds like Kenny on SouthPark to me…I don’t understand it…must be a special language for the BOYS.</p>

<p>FWIW, my son has a laptop and seems perfectly content with it.</p>

<p>I was thinking the same. Laptop for portability, desktop for all else. A Dropbox account will help with all the file transfers so as not to have those annoying thumb drives and to have a backup. My son is not a huge gamer but does enjoy sports games (Madden, FIFA) on his PS3 from time to time.</p>

<p>i doubt most kids come with both a desktop and a laptop. every kid i know has just a laptop.</p>

<p>That’s because your son is normal, RTRMom2. </p>

<p>Mine left for school with a very, very good laptop and a docking station to which he hooked up an external monitor and his printer. That seemed to be a good solution for him, the docking station giving him the ability to take his laptop to class or to elsewhere to study easily. Mine wanted the larger monitor for gaming. Neither a docking station or an external monitor are necessary.</p>

<p>I forgot…he does have a second monitor. I think he uses them side-by-side for his programming (and probably the larger monitor for gaming).</p>

<p>To each his own…lol…since my son only has a Mac desktop now, perhaps we can get a laptop with a larger screen killing too birds with one stone and he can leave the desktop home. Does sound like overkill bringing both.</p>

<p>See why I need you guys/gals.</p>

<p>NYBama: From your lips to NRDSON’s ears.</p>

<p>Sigh.</p>

<p>NRDMOM,
Your funny. I’m just trying to get a little leg up before August when the … hits the fan and we are scrambling to find this info. As an Accounting Major having a 26" screen isn’t necessary as I would imagine it would be for an engineering or other major.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South Bedroom doors will not close easily or properly with any over the door hanging apparatus. There just isn’t enough clearance, the door fits very tightly. Don’t risk damaging the doors, that would be an expensive repair.</p>

<p>Son’s RCS desk area. He put the three UA supplies pieces together to form a long work area. The hutch is a folding bookshelf from the Container Store with the bottom shelf folded up. His laptop is on the docking station on the hutch (up away from spills). He brought a TV (and our old Tivo), neither of which he uses. Chair is one we bought. </p>

<p>There are many ways to set up the rooms. Several parents were kind enough to share ideas and photos with me last year. Son’s room is much more sterile (absence of photos and such - not in cleanliness) than I’d have it but it’s what he wanted. </p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_1_dtr97o8m]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_1_dtr97o8m)</p>

<p>Mini-fridge on small rolling cart from Sams Club. Cart has a drawer for snacks or paper plates. Printer on top of fridge. Note - you do NOT need your own mini-fridge (but the RAs can’t search personal fridges, only the UA supplied one). </p>

<p>Son was concerned before he moved in that one of his RMs might be entertaining in the common area when he was parched and did not want to interrupt anything, so he chose to bring one. </p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_1_0cylgjum]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_1_0cylgjum)</p>