Tape Measure Madness: Ridgecrest East

<p>Anyone have a pic of a bath sink area and a pic looking from LR to bedrooms???</p>

<p>The photos are back! I swear to you that they were gone for at least a day there…
Ok, TXA, if you look at the RCE/W photo gallery, the 2nd to the last photo is one of the shower area (blue shower curtain). This shower config will be the same for RCE/W and all of Riverside. I’ll try to find one for the sink area. The old photos certainly had plenty of different angles - these are all new photos now. Stand by and I will search…</p>

<p>Sorry, looked through them all, and did not find a sink shot applicable to RCE/W dorm. In S’s dorm, the sink is off-set, so there is more space to put things on one side of the sink than the other side. There are two doors underneath with plenty of storage underneath. It is about 4 feet wide. The blueprint for RCE is kind of messed up. But the RCW blueprint is the same layout as RCE: <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrest/floorplans/RCW-Four_Bedroom.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ridgecrest/floorplans/RCW-Four_Bedroom.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>aeromom - </p>

<p>Don’t forget to tell her how many tiles are in the shower… ;)</p>

<p>And, if they are, say, four-inch tiles, we can get actual true dimensions!</p>

<p>I would also like to know the height of the space above the kitchen cabinets as a series of cute boxes/baskets would be perfect for storing tools, office supplies such as batteries, laundry detergent, whatever, up there. Anyone?</p>

<p>About the bath sinks, could you put a narrow shelf (similar to those desk shelf things) above the sink for a makeup mirror?</p>

<p>standard canvas bins should fit above the cabinets, but you are over thinking this. they really don’t need to store anything up there. remember they have that storage closet, which is more storage then many/most college students get.</p>

<p>take what you think you will need. try to edit and not take too much stuff. outfit the closet to use the space well. buy storage (drawers/bins/shelf) in tuscaloosa if you think of something extra you need. if you brought too much stuff … take some home. they are going to school in a town that has most anything they would need, not antarctica.</p>

<p>you can also buy a few more things than you need here (if you need things from the container store or someplace like that), then return what you end up not needing.</p>

<p>if your kid ends up living in a sorority house in following years, plan to take <strong>half</strong> the stuff you are thinking about taking now, as she will likely be in a shared room with less closet/storage space.</p>

<p>Yup. “Over thinking” is my middle name!</p>

<p>Those kitchen cabinets just look so bare on top. And, Baskets would be more practical, and cheaper, than puck lighting!!!</p>

<p>TXA will appreciate the ability to count tiles on the various blueprints! They are standard 1’ squares, and you can see how large the bathroom is in terms of square footage that way. There is a considerable difference between the RCS & Presidential bathrooms and the bathrooms in all other suites.</p>

<p>How does the raising of the bed to the 33inch clearance position happen??? Do we have to order it before school starts or is it something we can accomplish ourselves? (TXArchitects are VERY HANDY)</p>

<p>Housing will chime in that you are NOT to attempt lofting beds yourself, due to damage to the bed frame. You put in a work order once you get there and some handy people will come and do this for you. I do not have experience with this, btw, but that’s the ‘official’ line.</p>

<p>Do you have to wait until we arrive? We could put the order in now since we know DD wants the dresser under the bed…</p>

<p>How do we get a work order form?</p>

<p>Here’s official link on their website: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/work_order.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/work_order.cfm)
CALL UA Housing to see what they want you to do. About half-way down the link page I provided here will be an electronic work order form to submit. Please post back what they say is the procedure, as I’m sure lots of students are in the same situation.</p>

<p>Bumping up for this year’s class. </p>

<p>I was looking at this discussion, desperately needing measurements for either ridgecrest east or west, specifically, closet dimensions (cause i think the floorplan online is wrong), door dimensions, and window dimensions, also, if possible, the distance from the intersection of two walls to the window.</p>

<p>Why were the dimensions deleted in the initial post?</p>

<p>I actually took dimensions off of the floor plan by blowing the drawing up and using an architect’s scale to measure! Find something for which you KNOW THE SIZE…for instance, a residential bath tub is five feet long…a closet is typically two feet deep. A door wide enough for a wheelchair is 36 inches…etc, and you can make your own relative scale to use… Be aware that various rooms have unique BUMPS due to columns and mechanical chases within the walls, and these will vary, but I found the plans posted by housing to be pretty accurate. There were no dimensions given per se in my original post…</p>

<p>Thanks @TXArchitect. Sorry about the disjointed post–hacked by DD who is in full panic mode now that she finally focused on her large closet at home and the small one at BB. I had given her all the dimensions and suggested she draw it out on graph paper (she’s an artist & has great spacial abilities) and clean out her room in June. And to plan exactly what would fit and what organization items she would need. But until she went to BB last week, she acted like summer was endless. Live & Learn!</p>