Target schools for a data science master?

Hi I graduated from the University of Michigan last year with a 3.64 gpa with a major in computer science and a minor in math. I was in the college of engineering.

I am thinking about applying to graduate school for either a data science masters or a MFE. I don’t really want to go to the effort of studying for the GRE, eventually having to ask people for letters of recommendation, and working on my resume if I don’t think I have a shot at a top 20 program. Here are some stats:

• 3.637 gpa, minor in math major in computer science engineering

• Involved in a sorority, business club, 2 semesters of being a TA, 2 semesters of being a grader

• Haven’t taken the GRE yet, but on my ACT I had a 35 in math, 29 reading, 33 writing, so based off some calculators and studying so far I’m hoping for about a 160 reading, 165+ math

• Currently working at a big bank as a strat (quant). My work isn’t a data science heavy as I would like, but I’ve still been gaining good skills

• Doing Michigan alumni interviews

• American female.

Based on this, I would really appreciate getting a gauge for what schools I have a shot at. If anyone has any comments on the worth of a data science masters/ MFE I’d also be happy to hear them! Thanks!

My nephew graduated from Oakland University (Operations Management) and got his on-line data science masters degree from Cal Berkeley. I don’t know what his stats were, but he did have work experience and a publication.

Berkeley’s program is outstanding.

1 Like

I know that, as a Michigan alumna, this may be difficult to hear, but OSU has an amazing data science program… But seriously, it is true - check out their programs.

1 Like

I do data science for a living. Taking out huge student loans for a masters degree in data science is overkill. In fact, having large student debt can seriously limit your options. If you have a bachelors degree and you know SQL, then you have your foot in the door already. There are multiple specialties, subspecialties and micro-specialties you can go into. Virtually everything will be learned on the job anyway.

The best thing to do is take a job. Most the time the company will pay for the masters degree. In fact, you would be considered a state resident at that point. You could have the best of both worlds. If you like Ohio State’s data science masters program, you could take a job in Columbus, OH.

1 Like

I don’t really want to go to the effort of studying for the GRE, eventually having to ask people for letters of recommendation, and working on my resume if I don’t think I have a shot at a top 20 program.

I think you’re thinking about this a little bit backwards. The way that you have a shot at a top 20 program is by doing those things. It’s more or less impossible to comment on whether you have a good shot simply based on your GPA and your current job - we can talk about whether your GPA will exclude you from such programs (it won’t) but other than that, making yourself attractive to top 20 programs is about what you do to prepare for applying.

If you want to get into a top 20 program (and why top 20? That’s more or less arbitrary, and I’m not sure that there’s a definitive ranking of data science programs anyhow), then you have to put in the work to be attractive without knowing for sure if you’ll get admitted. That’s what the admissions process is all about.

That said, @coolguy40 is right. If you already have a background in math + CS + engineering, I’d skip the master’s - or at least delay it. You can make a lateral move into data science with the skill set you already have - many data science jobs look for folks with a BS only (I work in tech and I work closely with data scientists). Like he says, if you know SQL, you’re good to get started at least.