TCU Honors College

<p>Has any incoming Freshman received an invitation to enroll in the Honors College yet? According to web site invitations are sent out in March</p>

<p>My son received an email on February 4th telling him to "Be on the lookout for your invitation to the John V. Roach Honors College at TCU."</p>

<p>He received the invitation in the mail a few weeks later.</p>

<p>I don't know if this is the normal timeline for all of this or not. My son applied in September, early action, and received his acceptance letter to the college in either November or early December. So there may be a few different waves of these invitations.</p>

<p>Wishing you the best!</p>

<p>i received an invitations to the honors college last week</p>

<p>I got that email, too, so I'm guessing my invitation will come via snail mail within the next couple of weeks. My acceptance envelope took 3 weeks to get to me. Ugh. I have to say - even though I probably won't go to TCU (it was a safety), their letter was the nicest I have ever seen. It was personally signed by Ray Brown in purple ink, with the "you" in "I hope to see you at TCU..." underlined and a personal note ("Best of luck, XXXXX!") to the side. Really, really nice. Was everyone's letter personalized? They're offering the Provost Scholarship ($15,000 p.a.), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it...</p>

<p>Wow – we haven’t received our packet yet although it is supposedly on its way. That does sound SUPER NICE!</p>

<p>For any current students in the TCU Honors College, can you elaborate a bit about it? Is it more work? Harder work? Pros and Cons? Do you feel isolated at all from the rest of the student body? Do you recommend accepting the invitation? Do you like living in the Honors dorm?</p>

<p>“Is it more work? Harder work?”</p>

<p>TCU Honors College is divided into 2 components: lower and upper division honors. Lower Division Honors requires that students take 5 honors classes in the first 2 years. These classes also satisfy other requirements (you can take honors history, honors speech, etc. to fulfill honors and graduation requirements). You can also take a 3-week summer trip to Europe (no tests / grades / papers) and get credit for 2 of the 5 honors classes from doing that.</p>

<p>Upper Division Honors - you can choose to do Departmental Honors (write a senior thesis) or University Honors (take 4 more honors classes). </p>

<p>For me, I took 3 honors classes (honors spanish 3, honors dance, honors music. lol!) and then took a trip to Europe and wrote a fun thesis during my senior year. More work? A little bit. Harder? Not really.</p>

<p>“Do you feel isolated from the student body?”</p>

<p>Absolutely not! As mentioned above, it will just be like one of your classes is honors during each semester. So there’s nothing that will isolate you from the rest of campus / friends / greek life / etc. </p>

<p>“Do you recommend accepting the invitation?”</p>

<p>Absolutely</p>

<p>“Do you like living in the Honors dorm?”</p>

<p>The best dorm on campus! And all of your dorm mates are really smart but also really fun people to hang out with. I had some of the best times of my life in the freshman dorms hanging with friends. And did I mention the dorms are extremely modern and nice? :)</p>