TEAM Question

I’ve gathered that TEAM decisions won’t go out until December/January or even later. I’m guessing my son will be a TEAM admit at best, so I’m not holding on to much false hope of anything else. We’d sincerely be happy with that! My question is… Will students receive a letter declining admission when TEAM admissions roll out if they are not being considered for any other pathway? This is the last application still “out there” and other schools he has been accepted to have already sent information about deposits and orientation. I’m starting to feel a little pressure. I just wasn’t sure if all the declining happens at the very end of the admissions cycle.

@laxmom2000 Team decisions typically go out in February (maybe late January this year since everything seems sped up this cycle).

Denials and PSA will go out after that (Feb/early March). They definitely will not deny until the end. Not sure this helps you make a decision or not, but this is what we’ve seen. If it were my child, I would choose the backup school I want the most and make decisions like that is where he’s going to go. Sign up for orientation, housing, etc. Take another tour. Look at degree plans, etc. Then when you get decision from TAMU, you make the choice.

Last year, the last of the full admits wave came out Feb 5 and team over the next two days after that.
With what we have been seeing this year, with what seems sporadic notifications of decisions rather than waves of decisions, no telling when or how the rest of the decisions will come. This admission cycle has no rhyme or reason and is not following the trends of past cycles. But this is expected because every trend doesn’t always hold year to after year.
So don’t give up hope @laxmom2000 I kept stats of every applicant who posted on CC for two years, for all type engineering applicants and review applicants and there were some applicants with 1190/1200 in the top 20% who were offered full admissions, blinn team and gateway.

Besides AggieMomHelp’s excellent suggestion, is if he is not offered admission, if A&M is the dream school, is attend Blinn Jr College for two years and follow the transfer course sheet for the major he wants.
Scroll down to the transfer section, click on the college and then the major http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors

Third, look into the PTA program (Pathway to Transfer Admissions). Every major doesn’t participate but it offers guaranteed admission to major. http://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

@laxmom2000 along side what Thelma2 said… If he chooses Blinn (not team), he can apply as soon as he has 24 graded transferrable credits. He doesn’t have to wait 2 years. I had a friends son who did TEAM and transferred after the first semester. You aren’t tied to the two years.

Thank you both! I don’t think he’d go Blinn route unless it was through TEAM. He is very much excited about having the “full” college experience, which is why he has already eliminated UH as an option. He believes it’s a “commuter school” and he wants a campus experience with sports, traditions, etc. He signed up to take the SAT again in Dec to raise his scores for scholarship purposes, but it will be too late to submit to A&M for consideration. He doesn’t think he’ll get high enough on ACT, so that isn’t an option for him, either. He knows that A&M is the school that checks all of this boxes and is (relatively) affordable. His other top schools are either OOS or Private, so that has made it a waiting game on those, too, until we know if we qualify for any FA. Anyway, I do appreciate your input and I’m amazed at the amount of time and research this group does to help those who want to be a part of the Aggie family. It speaks volumes as to why A&M is such an awesome community.

@laxmom2000 : I hope that your son receives a full admit to TAMU or at least Blinn-TEAM. But if for some reason he doesn’t, I hope that he doesn’t give up on his dream of being an Aggie!

First, if he doesn’t receive at least Blinn-TEAM, have him make an appeal. There have been people who have received PSA who won full admit upon appeal. There needs to be something that wasn’t included in the original application which could be reviewed for admission. Perhaps a more detailed explanation as to why his test scores are low, such as test anxiety, documented illness, family issues, etc. I don’t know how many people win upon appeal, but you can’t win an appeal if you don’t try.

Second, going to BlinnCC for a year or two will still allow him to live in CStat and start living like an Aggie. There are a lot of things that can be done as a full time BlinnCC student. He can live in one of the private dorms or apartment building where there are full Aggies, Blinn-TEAMers and full BlinnCC students. He will have the opportunity to make friends, and may have friends from home already in CStat. He can buy game tickets, Aggies can get “date tickets” for students who are not Aggies. Tailgating is fantastic too. He can eat on campus by paying cash for meals. There are a lot of activities on campus that probably don’t require a student ID and he can purchase tickets as a person of the general public. Everyone is wearing Aggie t-shirts, no one cares who is at Blinn when everyone knows that the goal is to be an Aggie. Socializing in CStat is fun. There are church groups and other volunteer opportunities in CStat, too. Getting involved with something like his target major in CStat will also help him with LORs if those are needed for transfers.

I don’t know if it is possible, but perhaps he could take a course on the TAMU campus as a part-time student there while also taking classes at BlinnCC. Sort of make his own “Blinn-TEAM ish” sort of program.

Both of my daughters are Aggies. The first (HS 2021, TAMU 2016) was full admit, her roommate at Callaway was Blinn-TEAM and she had friends from home who were BlinnCC. They all managed to find opportunities to enjoy the Aggie life and all became TAMU almuni. My youngest daughter (HS 2017, TAMU 2021) is currently in her Sophomore year on TAMU Blinn-TEAM and is really enjoying living the Aggie life. She has older friends in her Sorority who were BlinnCC for a year. Those girls met friends at TAMU during their Freshman year and are now in their first choice sorority together.

One of the teammates of my youngest daughter was denied admissions to TAMU. Both parents of this girl were Aggies as was at least one Grandparent. She always knew that she wanted to be an Aggie. Her parents signed a lease at one of the Northgate area apartment buildings BEFORE she received the denial. The girl is participating in one of the PTA programs and will transfer full time to TAMU after the end of this year. She participates wherever and whenever possible at TAMU. Her diploma and class ring will be TAMU. That is all that matters.

I am not from Texas. My degree is from a large University in another state. I didn’t grow up knowing about Aggies. But I can tell you, the Aggie experience is unlike anything I have ever seen anywhere else. I was blown away by our first trip to CStat with our oldest daughter. The students on that campus are the nicest I have ever met. The Aggie life is truly something special. The Aggie network is a real thing (my older daughter was offered a job at her first interview) and the Aggie diploma and ring are highly valued. I hope your son has that experience.

@AggieMomAgain - outstanding post!

Thank you for these suggestions @AggieMomAgain ! I will go over all of these options with him.