Teaxas at Austin vs Wisconsin -Madison

<p>Daughter was admitted to UT and is postponed at UW-Madison. I am told both are great college towns. She is admitted into the Communications college at UT and will likely be a Communications major at Wisconsin. Other than the obvious differnce in the weather-any thoughts on choosing between these two fine schools is appreciated.</p>

<p>Both great public's. Heard great things about Austin too. </p>

<p>I'd have to give the edge academically to UW based on rankings, research quantity, history. UW Com Arts is excellent. </p>

<p>Plus my impression is UW is just a lot more fun than UT.</p>

<p>I've heard Austin is a liberal city, as is Madison. Presuming she gets in at Madison the main question is whether she wants to be surrounded by Texans or Wisconsinites and a fair number of Minnesotans with maybe 25-30% others. She would want to compare the general requirements and her major requirements plus courses available to meet them. If she's from in or around Texas and finances are no issue she may want to go to UW for a chance to experience a different region of the US.</p>

<p>Having lived in both towns I'd give Austin the edge for better weather and fun. UW is a bit better for academics. UT has an excellent Comm school too. Maybe more hands on and less theory than UW. Two good options</p>

<p>OMG! I have been dying to ask that question aswell. I'm originally from Southern California (Los Angeles County) and moved to Texas 4 years ago. I'm have been admitted to Texas, more specifically the College of Natural Sciences as I plan to major in Computer Science. Got in UW as well, they are both GREAT and have friends in both. Where should I go?</p>

<p>I went to UT and lived in Madison for work. </p>

<p>Academics are very similar. Although, despite the US News rankings, I would say UT is a better school academically. US News ranking is based on survey of students and faculties, probably worse indicator of academics than BCS is of football. UT has an edge over UW in all the professional schools: Engineering, Law, and Business (I don’t know about communications. UT is only slightly better in comp sci, but with more job opportunities, since Austin is the mini silicone valley. Epic recruits heavily out of UT). UT as a whole gets dragged down because it must admit any Texas high school students in top 10%, most of which end up in liberal arts. I don’t know if UW has honors programs, but UT’s honors program is top notch. I got smaller classes (20 students vs 400 students), honors housing, and priority in picking classes. Some honor’s program like Plan II (liberal arts), Dean Scholars (nat. sci), and BHP (business) have private seminars and dinner at professor’s houses. If you get in honors program at UT, I definitely won’t turn it down.</p>

<p>Of the two cities, I actually liked Madison a bit more. Because that's because I wasn't as involved with student activities at UT. Ironically, I was more involved with student activities when I was not a student anymore. The two cities and colleges are very similar. Same type of students, although Madison is probably more liberal than Austin. Both are state capitols, both have lakes (UW is right on Lake Mendota, and Hoofers Sailing is awesome. Nothing beats having a relaxing read by Union Terrace next to the lakes); Austin has its 6th street (clubs and great live music), Madison has its state street (probably more comparable to the Drag/Guadalupe St, which is mostly bars and local stores); Austin has great live music (renowned music festivals like South by Southwest (SxSW) and Austin City Limits are held there. UT even gets chart topping artists to play at our student fairs every year.), Madison has great farmer's market. I'd say UT has better facilities. UW's buildings are a bit run down, although the engineering building is new and more impressive than UT's. UT also has better athletics, if you are into that.</p>

<p>The drawback for UW is that it's cold as hell during the winter (-17F with -40F wind chill). Most of the academic year is cold, starting around September. This makes going to class a chore. My roommate, a grad student, cross country ski to class on some days when the snow is heavy. Austin’s winter is like Madison’s fall, a few days below 32F, but sometimes in the 60s. </p>

<p>I think the best way to settle this is to visit. And make sure the cold doesn’t bother you.</p>

<p>I'd be curious to see a reputable ranking of Texas above WI academically. Certainly not in English, History, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, the History of Science, Biology (the life sciences), or Chemistry etc...</p>

<p>Wisconsin Comp Sci is ranked higher than UT. Overall undergrad engineering is nearly the same. Law School is not an undergrad program. UW has a Medical School on campus which helps for med school admissions. Same for Vet and Pharmacy.</p>

<p>Ironically I was in both Dallas last week and Madison (I live in California). I will preface it by saying I am a Badger alumni, so may be a little biased. I had dinner with another Badger alumni in Dallas whose daughter had just finished UT. I have a daughter at UW...so we were able to share perspectives. Because of UT's program to take the top 10% of Texas high school students, the population is heavily weighted towards Texans (95%) whereas Wisconsin is only 64% in-state (although at least half of the out-of-state students are from Minnesota because of reciprocity). Admission standards are higher at Wisconsin, but selectivity seems a little tighter at UT. I found the UT campus not very attractive...it is hard to compare with Madison which is widely regarded as one of the prettiest cities in America (it is on two lakes). I am familiar with UT's advertising program which I believe is better than UW's...although it is run by a Badger grad! Weather is clearly better in Austin in the winter, but Madison is hard to beat in the Summer (students return in August) and Fall. I think one thing to consider is the overall college experience. Both are good, but I think UW-Madison students may be a little better prepared for their careers because of some of the campus philosophies..."Work Hard-Play Hard" is one of UW's hallmarks and its grads are well-prepared to thrive in their future pursuits because they work harder than a lot of their peers. Midwest work ethic.</p>

<p>I believe Lake Wingra is also within Madison so that makes three lakes.</p>

<p>Not to be a Poindexter, but 4 lakes: Mendota, Monona, Wingra and Waubesa.</p>

<p>cdbunz, I can't believe you think UT's campus isn't as attractive as UW's. I've visited both schools and UT's architecture (Cass Gilbert laid the master plans) is simply amazing. The main tower is located in the center of 4 "malls" of the cardinal directions. The south mall opens to the "6 pack" which looks down the State Capitol corridor. Huge 150 year old pecan trees line this lawn and a perfect view of the capitol is preserved. On top of that there are turtle ponds, beautiful Greek statues, flowers, sculptures, museums, etc. Anyone who is skeptical about UT's campus, make sure you visit it before you even consider making a judgment.</p>

<p>As far as campus aesthetics, I have walked both campus'. The difference in climate contributes to some of the difference. Texas is drier than Madison. But once again, a campus sandwiched between two big lakes, some beautiful walking and bike trails going through wooded areas adjacent the Lake Mendota, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most ambitious and impressive designs overlooking Lake Monona...hard to beat. Both cities have state capital buildings that can be viewed unobstructed from parts of campus. Madison may have a more impressive capitol building, but that is my opinion. </p>

<p>The famous journalist, Horace Greeley wrote in the 1850's "Madison has the most magnificent site of any inland town I ever saw, on a graceful swell of land, say two miles North and South by a mile and a half East and West, rising gently from the West bank of one of a chain of four lakes, and having another of them North North-West of it." </p>

<p>I agree, if people are interested in both, compare the campus'.</p>

<p>UT might have better buildings but the setting does not hold a candle to UW's lakefront. There is no place at UT to sit and watch the sailboats while enjoying live music and a cold drink. That's the priceless advantage of UW over UT.</p>

<p>I went to an Open House hosted by the Department of Computer Sciences at UT on March 7th and during a presentation the department chair displayed a map of the U.S. with the top ranked CS departments labeled with their respective rank and, according to that, UT and UW are tied at #9. I don't know the source of that graphic but it's very interesting as I plan to major in C.S. I want to eventually live in the San Francisco Bay area (anywhere in Silicon Valley actually), does anyone have any insight in to Wisconsin's Computer Science Department?</p>

<p>I'd trust UT on that one.</p>

<p>Well I believed the data but, does any have a comment about the UW's C.S. department?</p>

<p>It's Top 10. What more do you want? All the majors recruit there. Bill Gates made a personal recruiting trip.</p>

<p>Bill</a> Gates surprises students as "stand in" professor (Oct. 12, 2005)</p>

<p>The description of UT's campus doesn't sound appealing to me- awful statuary, rigid layout...in other words, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the natural setting of UW- the lakeshore path, picnic point are directly on campus and the arboratum is so close... It is dangerous to attempt to study in the "undergrad" library- White Hall, as one can be too distracted by the lake view. A campus is people more than buildings. I would hate to be in the hot Austin climate during spring and fall, winters are spent indoors studying, or so parents would like to think. It may be a choice of climate and which people to immerse oneself in- Texans or Midwesterners, plus people from each coast. Let us know the decisions, please.</p>

<p>Austin is very comfortable in the Fall, Winter, and Spring. Summer is the hot season. And everyone needs some recreation time besides studying and most parents know that. Kids are not sent off to be monks. Also the food in Austin>>>>>>Madison. The South by Southwest music festival is also unique and awesome with nearly 2000 bands playing all over town starting today.</p>

<p>UT's campus is very nice--beautiful landscaping and buildings that are more integrated than the UW hodge-podge. What it lacks is the natural geographic beauty. And nobody with a giant corncob gracing the campus can complain about another school's public art.</p>