tech honors program

<p>i got a letter from vtech's honors program with an enclosed application. what does that mean? i didnt think i was eligible for it, do they send it to everyone?</p>

<p>No, they only send it if you're eligible. A friend of mine's son was in honors & told me that it was a great thing. He only had to take a minimal amount of honors classes (4 I think), & still had the advantage of early registration.</p>

<p>My daughter is a senior in the honors program at Tech (Finance/Global Business w/a Spanish Minor) and the honors program is certainly worth it. You get to take honors freshman English for a start and those classes are all pretty good. Lots of opportunities for not a whole lot more work. Everyone who gets a certain QCA after the first semester is invited to join but it is easier to get in before you start- just need two letters from current teachers and write an essay. Also, if you get in in by March 10 you are elegible for merit scholarships from your department. Study abroad also counts toward the honors degree, so you can have fun while doing it.</p>

<p>I got this application too. Is this a good sign that I'll be accepted when April 1 rolls around, because VT is my top choice and I really want to get in.</p>

<p>Hmm...I havent gotten anything yet and woiuld really like to apply. What are ya'll stats?</p>

<p>1280 SAt, 3.48 GPA unweighted</p>

<p>I don't konw what else they looked at for the program.</p>

<p>I just looked at the website; GPA and SAT are all they look at.</p>

<p>Here's the link <a href="http://www.univhonors.vt.edu/entering_freshmen.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.univhonors.vt.edu/entering_freshmen.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I guess I am one of the people that got around the rules haha.</p>

<p>1370 Sat 97% Gpa</p>

<p>Got my letter saturday:) That's a killer essay I have to write by March 11th...perhaps I'll just do the June 5th deadline...</p>

<p>i hate that essay. i dont think i'm gonna apply</p>

<p>Why don't you just send in the one you wrote for UVA? That's pretty much what I'm doing. </p>

<p>BTW, you know that the deadline is really more like March 8th, because March 11 is the day they need to receive your app.</p>

<p>I got that too, the essay seems like a big pain in the ass, but I think I will just reuse and combine some of the essays I have already writted.</p>

<p>I have 3.65 with 1340 SAT</p>

<p>I know they say you aren't really accepted yet, but I would be surprised if they sent it to anyone that would not accepted.</p>

<p>agreed, i def. think it's a good sign......anyone know when we should hear on decisions?</p>

<p>I'm thinking end of march, early april. It says decisions will be posted online April 1st, but who knows with the mail.</p>

<p>I think it may be earlier in March/late March...because the VT website says you will be "notified by April 1st" so hopefully that's true.</p>

<p>"Entering freshmen are invited to apply to University Honors if the high school GPA is at least a 3.50 and the SAT I score is a 1400 (minimums: 620 Verbal, 600 Math) or above; or if the high school GPA is at lease a 3.70 with an SAT I score of 1300-1399 (minimums: 620 Verbal, 600 Math)."</p>

<p>Well I had a 1340 SAT and a 3.65 GPA, I wonder if they round up the GPA?</p>

<p>look at my stats, they definitly rounded</p>

<p>what is the essay topic for the honors program application?</p>

<p>It's basically write about yourself; your past, present and future without using I. 500-1000 words. </p>

<p>Anyone know when we'll hear if we got in to the Honors Coloege?</p>

<p>I got this too. SAT: 1310, GPA 3.55. This essay doesn't look fun.</p>