Tech or UVa?

Hello, everyone. I have recently been accepted into both Uva and Virginia Tech under the intended major of chemistry. UVa has offered me a slot in the Echols program (honors program), I’m in a tight spot. I hear that the chemistry program is better at Tech, but I also hear that it’s better at UVa. According to rankings, Tech makes it higher on the list than UVa, which didn’t make the list at all. I am extremely intelligent and intrinsically motivated, but I really want to learn how to slow down and enjoy life and college while studying. I also prefer smaller town or middle-of-nowhere scene. I’m also paying for my own college, and Tech is about $30,000 cheaper over the course of four years of study. For those reason I prefer Tech. But I also realize that UVa is a more prestigious school, and I don’t want to feel as though my effort to do well has been in vain, because I’m at the top of the accepted statistics if I were to go to Tech. That’s not necessarily a bad thing and I know Tech is full of intelligent people, but I guess I just want opinions on everyone’s experience at either school? I am going to visit Tech in a couple weeks as well.

It’s not always about the prestige of the thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-how-to-survive-the-college-admissions-madness.html?_r=1

Go to Tech. I hope my S chooses it too.

My sister graduated from VT over 20 years ago and is STILL nuts about VT!

While I understand the prestige of UVA, I’d go VT for your major, and for cost reasons. And it’s still a great school.