Tell me about Bid Day!

<p>We are headed back to Tuscaloosa next weekend for Bid Day. I made reservations months ago for the Hampton Inn for Saturday night, by mistake. Now I am trying to find a room for Friday night without any luck. So thinking we need to stay in Hoover. What are the logistics of Bid Day? If we stay in Hoover, how will traffic be? Where do we park? When do we need to get there and where do we watch from? We will also have our 11 year old daughter with us. Can she attend the brunch/parent activities? Finally, what do we wear? Thanks in advance for any help. This is all very new to us!</p>

<p>Oh, this brings back memories! I’m excited for you! Two years ago when my DD rushed, I parked in the lot on Campus Dr. across from Publix and walked to sorority row. By Bid Day, you should have heard from your D which sororities are possibilities, so you can wait on the lawn of the house you think it will be. Lots of people come out just for the spectacle. You’ll hear a roar from the stadium when the girls open their envelopes, and you can watch as they come running. This was all new to me, and I’m so glad I got to witness it all.</p>

<p>I don’t recall that traffic was a problem that day, but you probably want to give yourself time. The reception afterwards was casual as far as I could see, and there were some younger siblings and dazed looking fathers in attendance. My daughter was taken out to lunch with a pair of sorority sisters and another new member instead of eating at the house. I was invited to go along, but I figured this was her deal. One of these sisters became her “big”. </p>

<p>Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>it is also move in day so allow extra time- lunch is for all family members-casual dress-it’ll be VERY hot also!</p>

<p>We stayed in between Hoover and Tuscaloosa last year. We did not hit any traffic driving into town just trying to get to campus. To be honest I don’t remember where we parked. But I don’t think we had any problems. We left about an hour earlier than our D had to be at the stadium. We stayed on the lawn of the house she had told us she put first. There was quite a few people/parents lined up by the stadium to watch the girls run out and then make there way to the houses.<br>
I would recommend you have your D text you once she opens her envelope and then you can make it over to that house. My husband also came and I am sure all of the houses welcome siblings. It was crowded and chaotic at her house, we ended up not eating it was just too crowded and went out later with our D before we left. Our D had to be back at the house for her pledge retreat by 3:00 so we ended up checking out of our hotel early and doing so site seeing else where.<br>
We had come from CA and SO glad we did. Even my husband who thought it was all a bit much before hand bragged to all our friends and his fraternity brothers back home what an amazing show of support it was. Have a great time!</p>

<p>I have a extra room at Country Inn and Suites for Friday and Saturday night. You must be a fun mom who will drink wine with us poolside. ;)</p>

<p>Seriously, if you want it, I can message you the info and you can transfer into your name, but won’t be home for several hours to do that.</p>

<p>Also one thing that was very different from bid days I had experienced in CA, not just that parents and families attend, but most girls receive bid day baskets and gifts. There is a store called The Trunk that gets the list from Panhellenic and then delivers gifts to the various houses. You can go earlier in the week or call tell them you budget or package price and your D name. There are other stores but they seem to have it down.</p>

<p>Let’s all get lubed!</p>

<p>TXArchitect…LOL!!! Sadly there will be parents on the row sporting red solo cups at 10 am!!! Hmmmm…might be a testimony to how stressed they were all week or they are reliving their youth :).</p>

<p>I was, of course, referring to the wonderful folks at Express Lube at 15th, who are the best darn oil change business in the BAMA Nation!</p>

<p>We will, of course, have a brief meeting for adults on Friday afternoon while the girls are at pref. I am dutifully scouting out the options and will post soon.</p>

<p>I literally just booked the Hampton Inn West for Thursday night. I already had reservations for Fri and Sat up in Mountain Brook to be near D’s roommates parents at that time, and my flight is early on Sunday morning so close to the airport. </p>

<p>I’m staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Mountain Brook. Have stayed in Hoover for a football game and it really is not bad at all. </p>

<p>OH, TXA, I’m all in for a drink or two, I mean lunch on Friday ;). I’ll bring my own Alabama “A” reusable red solo cup w/ houndstooth koozie for it. I changed my flight to now come on Thursday. Will have D send me her “need/want list from Target”, I’ll pick it all up. Then meet her after her stuff on Thursday and plan to take her and her roommate out to a nice quiet dinner after the hectic week they have had.</p>

<p>Wait. I thought those red solo cups were for sweet tea in a team spirit color. Clutching my pearls.</p>

<p>They pull double duty holding more than one sweet concoction.</p>

<p>Class2012Mom,</p>

<p>I will be at the Country Inn and Suites Friday and Saturday night and will need a drink by the pool.</p>

<p>We will be at holiday inn express but would love to meet other parents.</p>

<p>We’re coming in Friday after work (arriving about 8pm) and would love to meet some parents at the Capstone bar! DD just sent us her “rankings”. She said it was super hard because all of the girls were so sweet and inviting.</p>

<p>A young lady whose mother taught S2 in elementary school is rushing at UA this week and I’m interested to see how she does</p>

<p>High five, linnuylu! ALL the cool moms are staying at the Country Inn. Wine by the pool, mimosas for breakfast. Poor NRDMOM is going to miss out - her choice, though…</p>

<p>Actually though, other than hanging out at the hotel, I defer to TxA to make the social plans for this weekend. Move-in is hell and I know better than to try to organize something. Would love to meet up with people at some point in time, though.</p>

<p>I’d love to meet up, too, but this cool mom is a little slow and didn’t make reservations in time to get a room in town and will be at the Hampton Inn in Bessemer. Not a big deal - a couple of other moms and I are driving in and staying together. </p>

<p>I’d say we should all carry red solo cups on Saturday so we’d recognize other CC parents/moms who aren’t there to enjoy libations by the pool, but…</p>

<p>Friday for lunch would be best. Those of us leaving after Bid Day will have a last evening with our DDs…</p>

<p>Ant thoughts on where?</p>

<p>I’m in for lunch on Friday. Just tell me where and I’ll be there :)</p>