Tell me what is great about Alabama?

<p>A question about the scholarship application. I already filled it out, and checked the box that indicates I am a NMSF. On the page after I submitted the app, it didn’t say anything under “scholarships applied for” I only filled it out because I am hoping to get the NMF scholarship package, and left every other scholarship on the application blank. Is that good enough, or is there something else I have to do?</p>

<p>Are you eligible for any of the other scholarships? If so, check those boxes as well. </p>

<p>What’s your major? </p>

<p>Hopefully others can comment on the electronic response you got after submittal. It’s been too long for me to remember.</p>

<p>I wasn’t eligible for any of the other scholarships, so the only thing I did on the whole thing was check the NMSF box.</p>

<p>I am majoring in business.</p>

<p>I’m just wondering because the Bama website said that all NMSFs hoping to get the NMF scholarship packet need to fill out the scholarship application. It seems a little odd, because on the regular admissions application there was also a box to check if you are an NMSF.</p>

<p>I just completed the scholarship application today and had the same experience as tommy. I was looking for a separate scholarship box for NMSF but didn’t see one.</p>

<p>In a few days, send an email to <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a> and give your name, CWID #, and your NMSF status. Tell them that you’ve applied to the school and have submitted the scholarship app, but you’re not sure if you did everything you need to on the scholarship app. They will check and let you know.</p>

<p>Thanks very much to all of you who have sent me PM’s with stories about your kids. I have read them to my son and he is now interested in visiting UA. </p>

<p>I showed him the pics of the dorms and he said, “I am going there!”. Still not sure what we will do at this point since we can’t get down there until April. (Coincidentally, his youth group is headed to Alabama this year - so we can combine a UA visit with Mission Trip.) </p>

<p>I suppose we will have to consider paying the enrollment fee and housing deposit so we can be assured of good housing in case he does choose to attend. </p>

<p>Is there a thread here that discusses the best housing options for honors kids?</p>

<p>wdaveo … the visit will definitely raise the interest level. Not visiting until April will makes it harder since many of his peers may have made their decisions by then for those attending state schools, but many will also still be waiting for the Privates to announce their acceptances late into Spring, so don’t be anxious. As for threads on the benefits, differences, and opinions on Honors Housing, you will find MUCH on CC. Suffice it to say that as far as I can tell there is no substantial difference at all and so absent that there are only preferences based on physical location or newness of the building itself that come into play. Since an entire new dorm is expected to open for 2012 with new dining options and a new rec center, the dynamics may swing a bit next year away from a perceived popular leaning towards the Ridgecrest South complex to the newly opened dorm. Good luck and hang in there. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Is there a thread here that discusses the best housing options for honors kids?</p>

<p>Any of the honors dorms are fine. They are all “super suites” and each student has his own room within a 4 bedroom suite that has 2 bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchenette. </p>

<p>Ridgecrest South is currently the newest one, but as mentioned above, a new hall is opening in Fall 2012 (don’t know if some/all will be honors) so that will be enticing for many kids. I don’t know when the new rec center or dining hall will open…that may be in 2013 or so… </p>

<p>My kids have lived in:</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South
Riverside West
Lakeside West</p>

<p>I think that a student’s major may influence which hall is best. For those in engineering majors, some find that Riverside East is closest to the engineering buildings. For those who are business majors, some find that Ridgecrest South or Ridgecrest West is closest to their classes. </p>

<p>I will start a thread where people can list the distinct amenities for the various honors dorms since I’m not sure of all of the differences…</p>

<p>Thanks again. I did do a search here for keyword “housing” and found lots of great information. Appreciate all your help, though. It’s nice to get firsthand info from those who currently have kids attending.</p>

<p>I think the biggest issue we will have for consideration is travel. It will not be an easy trip to and from Mid-Michigan…and my son really hates to fly, so that may be enough for him to want to stay here in MI.</p>

<p>wdaveo, depending on how far you live from Detroit, there are nonstop flights on Delta Connection. While the flights are operated by 50-seat aircraft, the flight time is a relatively short 2 hours. After a few times flying the same route, even the most nervous passengers begin to feel at ease and start to prefer flying over driving.</p>

<p>^ plus an hour drive from the airport to Tuscaloosa, presenting its own logistic problems…</p>

<p>There are shuttles for that. </p>

<p>Also, there are organized shuttles for beginning/end of the school year and the various breaks during the school year.</p>

<p>DS '13 and I just returned from visiting Bama last Thursday. Amazing visit. The weather was gorgeous–mid '70’s. Friendliest people. The University president (President Whitt) met with DS for over an hour. We had meetings with the aforementioned Allison (SO helpful!) and three deans. We were a tad bit late to every subsequent meeting because the people we met had so much information to share! They seemed to know my son and tailored their comments to his specific interests and situation. DS (a hs junior) went to an Organic Chemistry class in the new Science building with an honors student. The professor welcomed my son and treated him as a member of the class. We were taken to lunch at the newest dorm, then given a dorm tour by another honors student. DS has attended summer programs at some of the finest universities in the world, and he said that Alabama’s dorms are by far the nicest he’s ever seen. And there aren’t just one or two nice dorms–there are many, with more on the way.</p>

<p>Alabama’s scholarships are the finest we have found, especially for NMSF. Application-wise, Alabama is a “safety” school for DS and will probably be the only non-Top 25 school he will apply to. However, especially after his visit, DS considers Bama to be on equal footing with his other chosen schools at this point. Some of the things he loves most about Bama are (in no particular order):

1. Location: within easy driving distance of the beach and numerous major cities
  2. Weather: winters are much milder and summers are cooler than where we live
  3. Gorgeous campus: Unlike many universities where newer (1950 to present) facilities seem completely disjointed from older, historic buildings on campus, Bama has designed state-of-the-art 21st Century buildings that compliment and blend seamlessly with the existing 19th and 20th Century structures.
  4. Brand new Science Quad: the boy’s a scientist. He wants the latest and greatest stuff. 'Nuff said.
  5. Research opportunities: Even as freshmen, students are given the opportunity to participate in REAL research, not just re-proving old theories while learning how to do research. For kids who have been doing college-level research in high school, this is a big draw. DS doesn’t have lots of patience for proving what he already knows. He wants to move forward and do new things. Bama “gets” that.
  6. New College: Design your own major to fit your career goals.
  7. Campus Organizations: Extracurriculars are encouraged at Bama. They want kids to be well-rounded and make friends who share their interests. The administration keeps up with which organizations the freshmen join. If a freshman hasn’t joined any clubs after a month or so, an administrator will call them and mentor them to find outside activities that fit their interests.
  8. Laundry machines that will text you when the cycle is done: Major selling point for DS :wink:
  9. Scholarships: Don’t know of any university that does it better. You can even stack scholarships (except for full-tuition dollars). If you win two or three full-tuition+ scholarships, your tuition is fully covered, and any additional stipends from all of the scholarship packages are simply added to your account to cover additional expenses.
  10. Several Honors Program options
  11. Engineering School scholarships that are separate from other University scholarships
  12. Generous stipends for Study Abroad
  13. 3D printers in Physics Department
  14. Friendliest. People. Ever.
  15. You can earn your undergrad and master’s in four years (with transfer credit from AP’s and IB’s)–and scholarship dollars can be used to pay for your masters!
  16. 10 UA students named to the 2010 All-USA College Academic Team. UA holds the all-time records for most students on the team and most students any school has ever placed on the team in a single year.</p>

<p>The Honors College student who took us to lunch was from out of state and was accepted to a couple of Top 25 schools. His parents insisted that before he accepted another offer that he had to tour Bama, just because of their generous scholarship offer. He was angry with his parents for “wasting” his valuable time in the last weeks of his senior year. But within an hour of walking onto campus, he knew that Bama was where he wanted to go. I don’t know what DS will decide, but if he gets the scholarships that he’s hoping for, it is going to be VERY hard to ignore Bama. They are heavily recruiting top students, and it is paying off big time in faculty recruitment, student competitions and elevated academic reputation.</p>

<p>Well that’s all well and good but you forgot the part about the WOMEN :-)</p>

<p>Seriously though that was a fabulous post. You have obviously done your homework on UA and hopefully your son will be Bama bound.</p>

<p>Good luck to you and your son. I’m sure he’ll thrive wherever he goes. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>^^^ I just can’t get over the texting laundry machines either!</p>

<p>Happykidsmom…</p>

<p>Glad to hear that you had such an amazing visit. Thanks for sharing your story!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>BTW…if you haven’t already, can you post in our Roll Call thread?
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would love some real stories about out of state job offers for recent engineering grads. For an honors student from the north considering major engineering schools, placement is a critical factor if choosing UA over those others.</p>

<p>UAProphet occasionally posts here. He graduated about a year ago and got his engineering job in Ohio.</p>

<p>The problem is that this forum mostly consists of **current **students or their parents so they’re not going to have that info yet. :)</p>

<p>You might want to send an email to :</p>

<p>Dr. Kevin Whitaker <a href=“mailto:kwhitaker@eng.ua.edu”>kwhitaker@eng.ua.edu</a> , associate dean for academic programs in the College of Engineering,</p>

<p>Dr. Charles l. Karr, Dean of Engineering <a href=“mailto:ckarr@eng.ua.edu”>ckarr@eng.ua.edu</a> </p>

<p>And ask them this question. :)</p>

<p>It’s that time of year again when we get to read these AWESOME visit stories! Just last year I posted my own experience SO similar in so many ways to happykidsmom’s post. I’m sure we’ll be reading many more. So, HKM, read some of them, you’ll see that everyone is treated that way … it’s amazing really. And so you know that it does happen, my D turned down her “Top” picks (Rice, Vandy, William & Mary, and Tulane) to attend Alabama with NO regrets whatsoever! 2 of those schools had offered her nice financial packages, so it certainly was not just the NMF package that was the determining factor. It certainly surprised us … the whole experience really! Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’m enjoying all these wonderful stories but I have to wonder if my son’s experience will be different since he is not a NMSF? He will qualify for the OOS full tuition scholarship and the honors college…but will he get the same treatment when he visits? Is there as much opportunity for the kids who won’t likely qualify for the top honors (CBHP, Fellows, etc.)?</p>

<p>(By the way, I think my son is sold. He said, “Do we even have to visit if I already know I want to go there?” LOL! This is the kid who wouldn’t look at anything outside of MI Tech and MSU.)</p>