Temple university

I don’t see specifics anywhere on the Temple University site about specific academic merit scholarships. Does anyone have recent info about Temple?

https://admissions.temple.edu/sites/admissions/files/033-1819_ENR_ADM_ScholarshipsMajors_DB_v3a.pdf

Temple no longer has automatic merit.

Thank you! That’s what I thought. I wonder where I might be able to find figures about scholarships and admission stats? Do you happen to know? It’s on our D’s short list for music and we are considering a college visit, but it’s a costly flight and etc.

https://www.temple.edu/ira/documents/data-analysis/common-data/2017-2018.pdf Here’s Temple’s common data set (they only have up to 2017). Specifically sections C and H should have what you’re looking for.

Are you in-state or out of state? In-state COA is about $35k/year. Tuition is about $20k/year for in-state. The full tuition scholarship is the Presidential scholarship. The Provost is half tuition. Looking on CC the cutoff for Presidential seems to be a 1500 SAT and above with a very high GPA. Provost is probably above 1400 SAT and very high GPA. Don’t know about department scholarships or if they’re even offered. From what we hear Temple has a very good arts/theatre/music reputation.

1 Like

Thank you. Out of state.

Thank you!!!

Temple’s stats… Disclaimer, just copy and pasted from a website which I’m not sure I can share on here. If you want, you can PM (wait… is there such a function on here?) and I’ll give it to you. It’s been quite reliable and matching what the colleges have said.

Students

57%
Admitted

39,967 full time
6,043 part time
14,874 men full time
16,450 women full time

18,977 applied
11,926 admitted
4,276 enrolled

Undergraduates
$15,384

Tuition/Year
9,744 Graduates
548 Non-Degree
$15,384 in state
$890 fees
$11,916 room & board
$1,124 books and supplies

Boyer College of Music is AWESOME - topnotch. BUT, campus and other stuff, not a fan. Tour wasn’t that extra and was actually a turn off for my son. Boyer WAS at the top of his list for instrumental performance but has since dropped way down the list, as we’ve visited some other schools with things he like other than their Music School. Not sure where you’re coming from but since you’re in the area, there are several other GREAT music schools (not as well known as Temple, but quality also top notch) you can visit at the same time you fly in to check out Temple - Wells, UD (which recently became a School of Music but doesn’t have a name yet), Mary Pappert (@ 4.5 hour drive away, it’s the furthest but figured if you’re flying in, you must be MUCH further away), and a hidden surprise at the Tell School of Music (at least for his instrument, it was. He LOVED the instructor).

And speaking of instructors, my kid has met and had comp lessons at ALL the schools he’s applied (highly recommend doing that since they’re going to be with them for the next 4 years!) to EXCEPT Temple, who doesn’t quite understand the importance of “meeting the instructor” in the decision making process. They said he can get a lesson AFTER he’s accepted. I understand that most of their faculty are members of the Philadelphia Orchestra and are busy. But, most of the faculty at Mary Pappert were part of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and their instructor, who happens to be First Chair for the PSO made time to have a lesson with my son.

I’ve written a book ! HA. Hope you DO get to see it and it helped with your daughter’s decision making process… it’s been a process !!! Yikes. And we haven’t even done the auditions yet !! It’s going to be a CRAZY January and February. Incidentally, Temple’s audition is his last, right where they dropped down to after saying no to the lesson. Other than that though, he liked everything about Boyer.

1 Like

Thank you everyone!!

Parents + vs Private loans…help anyone??