Temple vs Penn State

After I got waitlisted for my top two choices I’m down to my next top few schools and this is proved a lot more difficult.

Penn State is well PSU. I’ve heard that there are a better reputation and more interest in graduates. But I also have heard complaints about the campuses being in the middle of nowhere. I got admitted to Erie for the 2+2 program. Ad well Erie is closer to Pittsburgh than Philly but its still hours away. But Penn State also seems to have a bit more of a traditional college feel to it.

Then there is Temple. I’ve heard tremendous things about it. It’s in a city with tons of things to do. However, I also heard from some students that a decent amount of people commute. As an out of state student, I worry about having it being ghostly on the weekends and not having the full-on college experience.

They both seem like wonderful schools and it’s hard to pick one without getting an opportunity to visit their campuses. Any suggestions are appreciated. I did do a few online tours, and information sessions.

hey! those are both great schools! I just committed to temple, and the two times I visited it, I loved it. I rlly don’t think its a commuter school bc if you follow the class of 2024 fb page, a lot of kids are OOS. also bc its in Philly there is a lot to do outside of class, and it won’t ever feel like you’re not getting the college experience.

for penn state. idk about the Erie campus, but I visited the main campus, and even thought its in the middle on nowhere Pennsylvania the student population is huge and you do feel like you’re in a small city. and on game day it gets PACKED.

hope this helped, and I can try to answer any other questions you have!

If I understand correctly, you were admitted to Penn State’s Erie campus for your first two years before moving to University Park, and you were accepted to Temple University in Philadelphia.

Both schools have a clear minority of students residing on campus. If my info. is correct, only 20% live on campus at Temple while less than 40% live on campus of the 4.000 student Penn State–Erie.

Really comes down to your thoughts about attending school in North Philly.

Oh let me add too, I didnt want to attend Temple bc I didnt want to be in North Philly, but the campus is rlly safe (they have a free uber type thing, cops patrol the campus, they have the buttons things you push if you feel unsafe and someone will come), and as long as you follow common sense (don’t walk alone at night) you’ll be fine. and every campus is gonna be a little unsafe of course but just practice common sense and you’ll be fine

20% living on campus is a misleading number. Most students live in off-campus housing adjacent to campus. There are private houses & high-rise apartment buildings full of Temple students. The residential community is vibrant and there is always a lot going on. Visit if you can. The campus is very cool.

1 Like