Ten schools admissions

Hi Everyone,
I’m an 8th grader and I’m looking to get feedback on my application. I appreciate any insight

8 grader from Texas
Play Piano for the past 6 years
Play competitive squash (started in 2019) My rating is increasing but I’m not the top 50 players in the country. I’m committed to the sport and my rating is 2.7.
On the track and XC team

Avid writer -
Self Published a short book in 5th
Editors choice award for a poem written for non profit writing competition
Scholastic silver key received last year
I run a school club where we create a monthly newspaper for the school. I’m the editor for that journal.

Last years grades were all 95 and above. Plan to keep the grades similar this year.
Will take ISEE in November.

Attended Exeter Summer and met with all the squash coaches. I’d like to play squash for the team and would also like a school that would offer me an academic rigor. Please chance me and offer suggestions. I may apply to al the ten schools.

If you really want to go to boarding school the best advice we can give you is that in addition to applying to these schools you should apply to schools with meaningfully higher admit rates. Check the Hidden Gems thread. Fantastic schools to be found beyond TSAO/GLADCHEMMS.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that the Ten Schools is a group marketing thing - they just banded together to make it easier on them to sell themselves. The ten member schools are different from each other and there are great schools that aren’t members. So applying to all 10 schools doesn’t make a lot of sense. Neither does ignoring the many other wonderful schools out there.

Figuring out which schools to apply to is a lot of work, but can be really fun to research. Ask yourself what your favorite things about school are (and forget “rigorous academics” - they all have rigorous academics). Then find the schools that fit YOU. Don’t try to fit the schools.

3 Likes

I’m going to one of the TSAO(not the higher ranked) schools and I can tell you it is nothing like the most of the other TSAO schools. Each one is unique.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’m very preliminary on my research. I haven’t done what some of the other applicants have.

Do I even have a chance at any of these competitive schools? I was looking for feedback on my stats rather than where to apply.

We can’t really give you a lot of feedback on your stats because at some point every kid applying to Andover, Exeter, Groton is impressive. The reason people are giving you feedback on schools is because it’s important to apply to schools you would thrive at rather than a random list.

For example, Groton is an ISL school. Each school is very different and applying to all would be very odd. Same thing with the TSAO, they are not banded together because they are similar but because it made sense for athletics and marketing.

1 Like

Without a standardized test score (ISEE or SSAT), offering guesses at one’s chances of admission would be little more than a pure guess.

1 Like

I had 9s when i took in the summer. Reading and vocab were 7. I’m working on getting the reading and vocab to 8 or 9.

hey,

i’m a sophomore at choate and if i’m going to be completely honest about your stats, they’re pretty solid, but the only thing that i think is missing is a hook.

you have a lot of extracurriculars and hobbies, which is excellent, but most applicants have a long list of extracurriculars as well. if you can work on getting some sort of distinction (an award with a name and some prestige), that would benefit you in the admissions process. also, reach out to the coaches of the sports you would be interested in playing at boarding school because they can put a good word in for you if you impress them.

it’s great that you have some writing awards and that you’ve been interested in literature for a long time (wow! publishing a book in fifth grade is pretty cool :)). it’s also nice that you’ve sought out a leadership position in something you’re passionate about.

grades look solid, you’re in a good range. i don’t know what anyone else thinks, but from my experience at boarding school, grades are NOT at all the most important things. your leadership, charisma, reputation, and real-life contributions are the more critical factors.

i’m not actually sure if going to a boarding school’s summer camp helps your odds, but it’s good that you’ve made a connection with Exeter’s coach.

i would say do a lot of research on the schools you are applying to and in your interview, really emphasize what you want to get out of the boarding schools (so look at their programs, clubs, curriculum, etc) and what you can contribute (leadership in journalism, squash team, track/xc team, etc). try to remain true to your personality and prepare some questions to ask the interviewers. as for your essays, don’t force a fake persona because admission officers can see right through that.

i politely disagree with some of the replies. i agree that all the schools in the TSAO are very different, which is exactly why i don’t see a problem in applying to all of them. you’re broadening your interests and possibilities. however, i would warn you about the fact that all of these schools are pretty selective, so you might want to have some “safeties” that have higher admission rates.

chances in my humble and inexperienced opinion:

just a warning, when i applied, the admission rate for Exeter, Andover, and Choate was literally under ten percent, so don’t feel bad if you get rejected/waitlisted by ANY of these schools (they’re all super super good).

• exeter & andover - pretty much the hardest to get into and without any super special distinctions, i’d honestly say chances are on the lower side, but that’s alright! you might have a chance with sports though… i’m not too familiar with athletic recruitment at those two schools.

• choate - ah, obviously my favorite. i know the lead admission officer pretty well and he really looks into personality and future potential, not just what you’ve accomplished so far. emphasize your ambitions and passions. odds are still slightly on the lower side, but your essays and interviews are pretty important, so prepare well for them. our squash program is decent but our xc/track team isn’t the best, so if you have really good stats, i’d say you might have a chance as a recruit.

• hotchkiss, deerfield, lawrenceville, loomis chaffee - odds are still pretty low, but literally that’s the same for all of them; i’m also unfamiliar with their sport rankings. i think these schools have slightly higher acceptance rates, but not at all “high” in any sense.

• taft, hill - admissions rates are higher, but still relatively difficult to get into. i’d say your odds are higher for these two, and with your stats, i think you could get into both of them if your essays/interviews are impressive and you keep up the hard work.

i’d recommend you also apply to some other schools just in case.

for example, i’d recommend:

• kent school
  • milton academy
  • st. mark’s
  • mercersburg
  • peddie school

i hope i didn’t miss anything because i wrote this during a raging headache. best of luck!

6 Likes

I agree with the above. The only thing I don’t are the chances. Taft’s acceptance rate was in the low teens and Hill’s was in the low 20s. This makes all schools listen selective.

I didn’t mention the differences among the schools but I think they’re highly salient. Said another way, what’s the running thread beyond that they’re all TSAO? There are large and small, rural and in-town and close to city, all/mostly boarding and lots of day students, strictly harkness and mixed methodology, etc etc etc.

Are they all great academically? Sure. But if that’s the only common denominator then you should add another 10, 20, or 50 schools :wink:

Check this thread about chances:

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is really helpful

LC student here: you should be fine! Your ECS looks really good (a lot better than mine lol) and Loomis is a sucker for humanities people and also xc/squash athletes. I think if you are interested definitely learn more about the log (LC newspaper), and if u have any questions just dm me and I’ll respond :slight_smile:

1 Like