Tennessee Becomes First State to License IMGs/FMGs Without a US Medical Residency

Absolutely. The primary motivation to keep foreign doctors out of the US is to prevent competition which will reduce wages. If it were patient welfare-well, the AMA doesnt seem too concerned about fixing the scarcity of doctors right now in TN or the consequences it has on patient welfare today.

3 Likes

A lot of US kids that go off shore for training because they cannot get a spot in the US with very high stats will benefit from programs like these too. I agree with @parentologist that there will be some bad apples coming through but we need doctors in poor communities and rural areas. I also foresee many doctors from Europe coming over. A highly trained physician in Ireland for example makes about $150K.

4 Likes

Will malpractice insurers want to insure thee docs with inferior training and no U.S. residency? Seems like a risk for them, especially for OB/GYN.

Wouldn’t the employer take care of this, since the doctor has to work at a healthcare provider with a graduate training program in place?

I should have worded that better and said a potentially weaker provider. Not to mention that we have plenty of truly weak provider that were trained right here in the US.

2 Likes

And of course we have plenty of REALLY STRONG providers who are working in a health care system with poor processes, understaffed nursing shifts, and byzantine systems in place.

Your doc can be god’s gift to medicine- but if you’re in a hospital with outdated infection control procedures, one nurse covering 25 post-op patients overnight, and it takes hours for a prescription to make it from the pharmacy to your room, you can still die of sepsis before anyone notices. It’s not always about the doctor.

Ask any experienced ICU nurse, or any grizzled phlebotomist, or even a newbie MRI technician and they can tell you what goes on when the sun goes down

4 Likes

So true. It would seem increasing the number of providers is a good idea, as this law does.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%.

I was just in the ICU for a couple of nights. I was fortunate to get excellent nursing care from every shift. Not everyone at every hospital can say the same.

1 Like

Also, I think employers hiring these doctors will thoroughly interview/investigate them first for malpractice related fears.

1 Like

Bills similar in intent to the Tennessee legislation are being considered/voted on in:

Arizona

Massachussetts

Iowa

Colorado

And for those wondering about malpractice–HCA self-insures for malpractice so any IMGs/FMGs they hire will be covered by their in-house policy.

Why would South Africa necessarily have produced better physicians in the apartheid era (which ended about 29 years ago) than in the post-apartheid era?

1 Like

Universities move up or down the world rankings by quite a bit in 30 years. Funding levels vary greatly. State support to universities differs. A University’s mission can change.

So if I have completed a residency training program in Taiwan and worked as an attending physician for over 3 years, do I have to take the USMLE test to obtain ECFMG certification before applying?
Are residency programs accredited by ACGME only in the US or also in other countries like Taiwan?
What are the specific steps and documents required for me to proceed with this application process if I have a US green card? Thank you!

So if I have completed a residency training program in Taiwan and worked as an attending physician for over 3 years, do I have to take the USMLE test to obtain ECFMG certification before applying?
Are residency programs accredited by ACGME only in the US or also in other countries like Taiwan?
What are the specific steps and documents required for me to proceed with this application process if I have a US green card? Thank you!

@pan_kyle please read the first two posts in this thread.

1 Like

You must register with the ECFMG, take and pass all 4 USMLE exams and have practiced as a fully licensed physician in your home country for at least 3 of the past 5 years in order to qualify for this program.

Since this is a new program, you will need to contact the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners directly to see what types of documentation they require.

Your license will be valid only in state of Tennessee and is not transferable to any other state.

ACGME accredited residences are only available in the US.

Thank you very much! i have contact Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners and they told me that i have to wait for Board meeting and specific implementation then.

How to apply and the requirements for this is the most important one. It has but some programs might not have the spot for it.

What does this mean?