Terry Saban - "Lack of Appreciation"

<p>A big article in the Wall Street Journal. Miss Terry does not appear to be happy!</p>

<p>[Terry</a> Saban Says Crimson Tide Fans Aren’t So Appreciative, but Nick Isn’t Leaving Alabama - WSJ.com](<a href=“http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303281504579220393805048908]Terry”>Terry Saban Says Crimson Tide Fans Aren't So Appreciative, but Nick Isn't Leaving Alabama - WSJ)</p>

<p>This portrayal of the couple seems accurate based on my experiences (first and second hand) with them before they moved to Alabama. They are a team. She runs interference for Him so he doesn’t have to deal with daily annoyances of other people and can focus on football almost exclusively.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So … Saban has reached deity status already. ;)</p>

<p>No different than a secretary for their boss. Field all the nonsense calls, etc so that they have time to take care of business. Heck, I do the same for my husband. If you were to call our house and ask for him, if I did not know you then you will not be speaking to him. He has bigger fish to fry. No big deal for me.</p>

<p>Me either. In fact, it’s nice to know he leans on her so much.</p>

<p>And a hearty guffaw was heard from Louisiana.</p>

<p>I think the writer went out of his way to make it seem the Saban’s are not happy in Tuscaloosa. I think Terry was just being very honest about the nature of the business, rather than revealing displeasure with the program or the school. Does anyone really think those two would stay in Alabama if they really didn’t like it?</p>

<p>When I read things attributed to “a person who knew Terry”, it sounds like gossip rather than reporting. I didn’t find the entire article to have that tone, but some of it did.</p>

<p>Maybe she’s laying the groundwork for their exit. Maybe not.
As far as “lack of appreciation,” I’m a 40+ year fan and graduate, and I’ve seen this before. A team wins so often, that people think it’s a God-given right that they win and get a lot of attention. Once the winning slacks off, those people seem to find another team to be loyal to…for a few years. Yes, they’ll even defect to that cow college - I’ve seen it.</p>

<p>It could be that next year will be entirely different for Alabama. Most of the members of the last 3 championship teams will be gone, if not long-gone. Lots of rebuilding ahead.</p>

<p>If they leave tomorrow, I’ll be very happy with their track record at Alabama and grateful to them for staying the longest they’ve ever stayed at a school.</p>

<p>As far as retiring…Nick Saban sitting on a dock fishing? Hah! Maybe for a week, then he’d be bored to tears.</p>

<p>Lattelady…</p>

<p>I agree. Some of it seemed more like a gossip piece.</p>

<p>That is the impression I got from her comments- she was sharing the nature of the business. </p>

<p>It is also very true- on a much a smaller scale I see it with my dear friend who is a very successful high school coach here in South Florida. He is a legend down here and has been coaching for over 25 years. During winning years people take it for granted. As soon as he loses a game he is an SOB. I agree with Mrs. Saban- people can be very unappreciative.</p>

<p>As far as laying the groundwork for leaving- I don’t think so. That would be very irresponsible for the Sabans. They have a big game this weekend and more big games to follow, including the national championship . They are not going to create a distraction that will jeopardize Nick’s goals. I don’t think this has anything to do with possibly leaving.</p>

<p>Mrs. Saban, we’ve got very appreciative fans in Austin, prepared to stay and watch the whole game, Hook 'em!</p>

<p>^^ They don’t stay when they are losing!</p>

<p>Unfortunately Lattelady, that’s all too common. But not staying when they are winning?? That’s something I’ve never seen before. Saban has a right to be upset about it. Even my own DS is guilty, says the games are not exciting. I tell him, the pendulum will swing, there will be days when ya’ll would kill for some of the wins Bama has now. Enjoy it while it lasts. The athletes bust their butts to make their wins happen, the least the students can do is sit there and cheer them on for the whole game. I too think they are spoiled.</p>