Test Optional?

What are the groups thoughts about going test optiinal for Engineering with a 750 Math, 650 Verbal?

UW GPA 3.9, 10+ APs

Applying to various schools including UVA where mid 50 SAT is 680 - 750 verbal and 710 - 790 math.

Is above average math better to submit even with below average verbal? 650 is not a bad score, but TO adds a twist.

Does test optional mean AOs will give leeway or will a 650 sink the application.

No one will know.

Some say if the math score is tops, then report. Others like me think it’s better if you excel in both.

The last CDS is two years old but shows 72-% submitting. It’s likely higher if you assume athletes and non stem report at a lower level.

Given the high submission and the composite is close enough I’d submit. They rate test only considered so that’s good too that the weight is likely light.

I don’t believe anyone truly knows the answer to your question and at very few schools would they tell you.

Have you considered trying the ACT once ?

I’d say send it, because that 750 math tells them that you can do the math for engineering. Honestly, I don’t know how engineering schools can allow test optional, unless the person is submitting at least a 4 on AP Calc BC, which most juniors have not done. The reality is that a person could have high grades in math at a school that doesn’t have a rigorous math program, and might have a very poor SAT or ACT math score that reveals that they just don’t have the necessary math preparation for engineering.

5 Likes

It’s very common for engineering students to have a higher math to verbal score.

As long as your school classes reflect good grades in English and AP English type classes which your UW GPA reflects then just send and write a good essay.

2 Likes

I can’t make a recommendation because I don’t have visibility to your entire app.

Ask your HS GC what they think, if you haven’t already.

Also look for guidance from UVA during a virtual or in-person admissions session (do this for each school). You can also reach out directly to your AO and ask them for guidance. Many will recommend what you do.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This all has been done with no hint of guidance from the GC or AO. Just “Do whatever you think is best.” This is why i asked in this forum.

Ultimately a personal decision, but tough to figure out with CDS and TO data.

@Dean_J Do you have any words of wisdom for students like OP as they evaluate whether they should apply to UVA with or without test scores?

1 Like

That 72% includes students who submit both SAT and ACT. UVA does not make pre-2021 CDSs available, but I’ve looked at them for other top-ranked institutions, and they show totals of ACT + SAT submission percentages of ~115%.

Assuming that was the case for UVA, as well, and that a similar portion (15%) are still submitting both, the actual percentage of enrolled students submitting test scores is probably in the low 60s.

You are correct - there’s no way to know - so I assume no dupes. But you’re not wrong.

We found - and it was a couple years ago - that the schools won’t tell you. I heard BU does but most were saying something like - if you feel it adds positively, then send it.

Best of luck to OP.

See
“ UVA Engineering undergraduates apply and are admitted through the University’s undergraduate admissions process. UVA does not have a minimum GPA or a minimum SAT score. The University works hard to take into account all of the information received in each application, so the applicant pool is broad and deep.

Most students admitted to UVA have excelled in school and scored well on the SAT or ACT. For UVA Engineering’s 2016-2017 first-year class, 97 percent were in the top 10 percent of their high school classes, and the median combined SAT score was 1426.”

https://engineering.virginia.edu/future-undergrads/admissions#accordion93610

You probably should look at your SAT score int eh context of your state. If you are from Virginia, results are here:
https://reports.collegeboard.org/media/pdf/2023-virginia-sat-suite-of-assessments-annual-report.pdf
If another state, they are here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.