Test Optional

Should I apply test optional to bates with a 1440 (730m 710w) Because it looks like its slightly below the average of 1445.

My view on this is that for test optional schools, the SAT statistics as reported are skewed upward. This is because students with higher SAT scores report their scores, and students with lower SAT scores do not report their scores. Also, we are pretty safe in assuming that the admissions staff at competitive colleges are smart and understand this.

What this means to me is that students whose SAT scores are very close to the average reported scores actually have SAT scores which are higher than the average for every student who attends (if you were to include the students who did not report).

My inclination would be to send in a 1440 SAT to Bates.

However, you could go either way, and you will probably never know whether this had any impact on whether or not you were admitted.

8 Likes

Agree with @DadTwoGirls that standardized test scores for test optional schools are skewed upwards. Also agree that you should submit as you broke 700 on each section of the SAT.

3 Likes

I would submit. And if you can, apply ED! Chances are much better for admission in ED to Bates than RD, which is under 10 percent. Good luck!

I would submit. That’s a good score and confirms a strong academic record.

The guidance is to not submit scores that are not representative of your ability. This would not be in that category for most.

Note that, according to its most recent CDS, the median SAT score at Bates for the 25% of students for whom this information is available is 1430. I believe you should submit your scores.

As pertains to this, this topic shows historical information specific to Bates: Bates' Enhanced Standardized Score Reporting.

@Illinoisian you may want to listen to the admissions beat podcast. The AD from Yale states that they assume your test scores or below mid if you don’t submit. They also say that scores are very indicative of performance. It is interesting and candid.

Data Dive, Part 2: Standardized Testing - Admissions Beat | Podcast on Spotify

I hope this helps.

I would submit that.

Generally, I would submit if the score is at least at the 25th percentile among admits – because half the class didn’t submit, and the presumption is that they did not submit because they scored (relatively) poorly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.